• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ableton Tricks, Tips and 'How do you...?' thread

zoo

TRIBE Member
Yuppers... Personally, I don't get why anyone would use *anything* that they didn't create/record themselves. The exception, of course, is for foley work where you need sounds that would be impossible to record yourself. But in those cases, if you are getting the sounds from freesound, you're a fucking douche and don't deserve the work. :)
Disagreed! I use tons of samples and material that I did not record myself. Yes, this includes both creative commons copyrights of various nature, and more traditional commercially copyrighted material.

I use whatever I find interesting. :) Most of the time whatever recording I do use ends up sounding too different to be recognizable anyway.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
Personally, I don't get why anyone would use *anything* that they didn't create/record themselves. The exception, of course, is for foley work where you need sounds that would be impossible to record yourself. But in those cases, if you are getting the sounds from freesound, you're a fucking douche and don't deserve the work. :)
agreed!

zoo said:
I use tons of samples and material that I did not record myself. Yes, this includes both creative commons copyrights of various nature, and more traditional commercially copyrighted material.
then you are not really creating and writing your own music are you?.. which is fine if you call it an interpretation, remix or whatever, but if you are claiming it as solely your own music, then there is simply no excuse...

If you can't create a sound you want, then LEARN how to make it, dont just grab it and claim as your own.

At least when a musician rips off a guitar riff or whatever they are taking the time to learn to play it... but sampling someone else's work because it 'sounds interesting' and not giving any credit for it is just fucking lame -- no matter how often this may happen.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
agreed!

then you are not really creating and writing your own music are you?.. which is fine if you call it an interpretation, remix or whatever, but if you are claiming it as solely your own music, then there is simply no excuse...

If you can't create a sound you want, then LEARN how to make it, dont just grab it and claim as your own.

At least when a musician rips off a guitar riff or whatever they are taking the time to learn to play it... but sampling someone else's work because it 'sounds interesting' and not giving any credit for it is just fucking lame -- no matter how often this may happen.
this discussion goes on ad nauseum on many audio forums. anyone who tries to work with samples and make something new out of them can agree that it's not easy and it becomes an artform in itself. kind of like DJing. people on the outside think it's stupid, people on the inside respect it as art.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I don't think Jamie is saying that sample based music is bad. He just doesn't think you should misrepresent it. Call it a remix, mashup, edit whatever but refer to the source of the music in the name of the track at least.

If you list something as an original work then I agree it should contain only music created by you.

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
I pretty much make everything I use even if it's not a midi base element, let's say nature or urban noise or whatever, I try to go out and record it.
but there are certain things like paercussions, for example, that it's so hard to recreate properly using virtual instruments. so unless you have a decent recording studio and can afford to book artists to come and record with you, you don't have much of a choice but to use pre-recorded samples.
And there are sample packs out there that allow you to do that and using those are not considered illegal if you're looking at it from an ethical point of view and I don't think using one or two legit samples is gonna turn your original production into a remix.

zoo

TRIBE Member
I don't think Jamie is saying that sample based music is bad. He just doesn't think you should misrepresent it. Call it a remix, mashup, edit whatever but refer to the source of the music in the name of the track at least.

If you list something as an original work then I agree it should contain only music created by you.
Sample based music is far more than just a "remix, mashup, [or] edit." A sampler can be, and often is, just as creative and interesting an instrument as any other instrument.

The number of examples I can use to support this is mind-blowing, and I'm surprised that I even had to type the above two sentences on this board. An electronic music board, the natural home of sampling.

Last edited:

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Sample based music is far more than just a "remix, mashup, [or] edit." A sampler can be, and often is, just as creative and interesting an instrument as any other instrument.

The number of examples I can use to support this is mind-blowing, and I'm surprised that I even had to type the above two sentences on this board. An electronic music board, the natural home of sampling.
Good enough response... and thank you...

I too was shocked at the comments made about sampling on tribe of all places... I was in one of those.. "Oh I want to post back, but it would be 10 pages long and I can’t be bothered so I will just bite my tongue" frames of mind...

there are 100000000000000000000 arguments and pieces of evidence to support that your 100% original song... can still be 100% original even if you used a sound or loop from something else..

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
bit the bullet and bought the SUITE upgrade to 8 - box set and all...
happy I have the full set now of instruments and everything and it only cost me $300 bones (there was close to 900$ in savings)

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
How necessary is it to upgrade from 7-8? I've been thinking about it but I just dropped $900 on 7 less than a year ago. I'm not in a hurry to spend more.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
How necessary is it to upgrade from 7-8? I've been thinking about it but I just dropped $900 on 7 less than a year ago. I'm not in a hurry to spend more.
8 has a lot of great new features like groove quantize, being able to group multiple tracks into one, a looping pedal which works with a simple footswitch. and apparently you can save different templates if you're into mapping the mixer to a controller(before you had only one default template).

if you are still learning 7 though, then i don't think it's that important to upgrade right away.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
8 has a lot of great new features like groove quantize, being able to group multiple tracks into one, a looping pedal which works with a simple footswitch. and apparently you can save different templates if you're into mapping the mixer to a controller(before you had only one default template).

if you are still learning 7 though, then i don't think it's that important to upgrade right away.
i have to say... the new way of navigating + warping the waveform is annoying me.

Im used to to click-hold-zoom on the waveform.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
zoo said:
Yes it can be - I never said any different - especially when artists like Matthew Herbert or Matmos use them -- BUT they record their own samples.

I don't see how an artist can find it ethical to record a portion of SOMEONE ELSE's music, use it for their own, and then give NO credit to the original artist.

I'm not against sampling - what I AM against is people sampling another musician's work and acting as if it was their own.

DoubleDown said:
oh and by the way..

"Amen Break" anyone?
ugggg I know the history, thanks, I love a lot of music with the Amen Break (Squarepusher!) -- BUT people deserve to know where it came from -- and most importantly, GC Coleman deserves the credit.

Last edited:

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Yes it can be - I never said any different - especially when artists like Matthew Herbert or Matmos use them -- BUT they record their own samples.

I don't see how an artist can find it ethical to record a portion of SOMEONE ELSE's music, use it for their own, and then give NO credit to the original artist.

I'm not against sampling - what I AM against is people sampling another musician's work and acting as if it was their own.

ugggg I know the history, thanks, I love a lot of music with the Amen Break (Squarepusher!) -- BUT people deserve to know where it came from -- and most importantly, GC Coleman deserves the credit.
So then beastie boys + Girl Talk are the root of all evil?

zoo

TRIBE Member
If I sample Bono's voice and turn it into a millisecond long hi-hat, I would not call it a "U2 remix," but others are entitled to do as they please! I can agree to disagree.

:)

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
So if you pay for the right to use a sample, lets say drum samples (kick, BD, Hats, Snares, etc). Should you then list on your track all of the different percussion samples you've used and the original creator... even though you've bought the rights to use them in your productions?

Example: Deadmau5 Sample pack, royalty free loops and .wav samples. If you use samples from this pack is your original production no longer considered an original production?

I can understand if someone remixes a bangin tune and then claims it is their original track even though it is clearly a remix of said bangin tune... they should be shot.

But if your using samples your legally allowed to use in your productions, they're still YOUR productions.

It be interesting to see...

*Artist* - *Track Title* - kick3456.wav, snare2897.wav, hihat2117.wav, crashfx2987.wav, bd7624.wav, hatopen2987.wav, cymbal2651.wav, nimassive.au, zebra2.au, minimaster.au Remix

Actually that would be retarded!!

You might as well give a shout out for the DAW your using as well.

Last edited:

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
So if you pay for the right to use a sample, lets say drum samples (kick, BD, Hats, Snares, etc). Should you then list on your track all of the different percussion samples you've used and the original creator... even though you've bought the rights to use them in your productions?

Example: Deadmau5 Sample pack, royalty free loops and .wav samples. If you use samples from this pack is your original production no longer considered an original production?

I can understand if someone remixes a bangin tune and then claims it is their original track even though it is clearly a remix of said bangin tune... they should be shot.

But if your using samples your legally allowed to use in your productions, they're still YOUR productions.

It be interesting to see...

*Artist* - *Track Title* - kick3456.wav, snare2897.wav, hihat2117.wav, crashfx2987.wav, bd7624.wav, hatopen2987.wav, cymbal2651.wav, nimassive.au, zebra2.au, minimaster.au Remix

Actually that would be retarded!!

You might as well give a shout out for the DAW your using as well.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
^^^ yeah this argument needs to die :)

I wasn't referencing legal samples, or even single-hit samples really -- that would be silly. Loops are a different matter...

Either way for me its about creation, as opposed to a collage of other producers sounds (although I do love remixing). And like myself, most people I know who play traditional instruments feel the same.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
^^^ yeah this argument needs to die :)

I wasn't referencing legal samples, or even single-hit samples really -- that would be silly. Loops are a different matter...

Either way for me its about creation, as opposed to a collage of other producers sounds. And like myself, most people I know who play traditional instruments feel the same.

zoo

TRIBE Member
... most people I know who play traditional instruments feel the same.
Perhaps they don't know any better ... because they aren't playing non-traditional instruments. I would certainly not take legal advice from a dentist. :)

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Why does a sound card make the difference in Abelton running smoothly?
For the same reason why a better graphics card will allow you to run programs at higher resolutions and frame rates.

The sound card removes the audio processing duties from your main processor. Crappy on-board sound chips aren't designed to process multiple channels of high resolution audio.

But drivers play an important role too. They dictate how efficiently your processing power is used.