• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ableton Live - Why are my tracks skipping?

SKIB

TRIBE Member
I've recently become interested in using Ableton Live to warp some of my tracks so I downloaded and installed several versions of the software (version 7 and 8 torrent files and the version 8 demo from the website) and for some reason, no matter what version I seem to use all my tracks skip whenever I play them... it doesn't matter if I'm just previewing the track or have loaded it into the software, as soon as I try to play it it's choppy and skips... it's almost like I don't have sufficient memory to run the software but I've got a 2.8GHz dual core processor with 3GB of RAM... should be more than enough memory, right? I'm using Vista as my O/S and other than this problem my computer runs beautifully and I have no problems with any of my other programs... I'm so frustrated that I'm seriously considering re-installing my O/S fresh in hopes of solving this problem... it's not really something I want to do though so does anybody know why this could be happening and more importantly offer any solutions? Please help! Thanks

zoo

TRIBE Member
Something is not configured properly. I have a much (much) older / slower PC and I run it fine; in fact I push Ableton harder than most people.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Yeah that's weird. I run ableton with lots of other programs open and it runs smoothly. Do you have a soundcard or are you using your onboard sound? Drivers up to date? Have you checked what is running in the background when you have ableton opening?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Yeah what soundcard are you running? Check the drivers. Check that you have it set up properly in the Ableton preferences.

That said, I'm able to run ableton no problem using the on-board sound chip on a Dell laptop

SKIB

TRIBE Member
I've got an HP Pavilion PC, not sure what kind of motherboard but it is on board sound... maybe that's the problem... I'm updating my audio drive right now to see if that helps... do I really need a dedicated sound card to run ableton?

SKIB

TRIBE Member
Hmm... updating my audio drivers didn't work... is there a specific way the software needs to be configured that I'm unaware of?

SKIB

TRIBE Member
Nevermind I think I fixed it... didn't have my audio output device configured properly :p

Now time to figure out how to warp tracks! If anybody has some tutorials they'd like to send my way feel free!

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
Now time to figure out how to warp tracks! If anybody has some tutorials they'd like to send my way feel free!
warping used to suck the life out of me. i got better at it by doing this:
  • to start dont try to tackle a whole tune, start out with a few bars.
  • find the downbeat of bar 1 that you want to be the start of the sample.
  • take any warp marker and drag it to that downbeat
  • right click the number and chose "set bar 1 here"
  • then do "warp from here"

i tend to not use those other warp from here features. this is for version 7 though, in 8 i dont know what the process has changed to.

also two pc optimization tips:

1. some hosts like ableton and cubase have an option for multi-core processing. i have found that turning that off often fixes a lot of performance issues.
2. processor scheduling should be switched to "background services". this post shows you where that is and also has the good tip of stripping down the OS interface to not be so fancy;
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034438.html
not sure how that's changed in Vista.

SKIB

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the input... I got playing around with things this morning before work and am slowly starting to figure a few things out... I'm sure it's gonna take me a while to get familiar with everything I'm interested in learning though... what I'm currently interested in doing is changing the bpm of a track, warping it and saving it as an external file that I can burn to disc and play on my CDJs... I've figured out how to change the bpm and warp a track but haven't had enough time to play around and figure out how to save a track as a new external file... Anybody care to help me out there?

Thanks

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
if you are on "clip view" the one with the grid, you need to take the clip and drag it over to session view. do you know how to switch between the two views? when you figure out how to switch the views, that place in the corner is where you'll be dragging your clip.

once the clip is laid out in the session view, you have to set the braces at the top around it, click the braces(aka locators) and then go to file... export. sorry i'm not much of a help without screenshots.

SKIB

TRIBE Member
No I figured it out thanks! Now I need to figure out how to actually "mix" tracks... right now they're just layered on top of one another...

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
didnt read the whole thread... but my first guess was the Latency in the Ableton prefs is set too low and your sound sound card cant handle it.

download and use asio4all and retry.... it'll probably lower your latency to 15-30ms but the driver is able to handle the value where as yoru sound card driver may not be able to.

By the way... are you on Vista32 or 64bit?

Also.. make sure multi-core processing is turned on in the Ableton prefs..

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I hope this thread is still active because I have the same issue (or very close) as skib. I seem to have a weird situation going on.

I used to be able to fire up Ableton and play tracks (entire song) in session view and mix them into my my vinyl mixes. I have 2 1200s and 1 pc running Ableton. When I was successful at doing this, my setup was:

onboard soundcard
tracks on the NAS

Now I have the songs/tracks on the local Ableton drive, I'm using the NI 2DJ soundcard and I skip songs all the time. I don't understand because the tests verify that my current setup is much more efficient and stable.

I map one of my Korg nanoKONTROL sliders to the master pitch. I start the track and use the pitch to mix in. If I touch the slider or not, the song will skip for sure. This is happening no matter what the latency is set to...

not sure why it wasn't skipping before and is now. any ideas?

oh, when I was good before I was using ASIO4all now I'm using NI 2DJ drivers.

Aaron

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
have any you guys seen a short or loop in your device cause a track to skip? I'm just seeing if that is possible or if anyone has seen that?

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I figured out what it was. I'll post the solution here just in case anyone else sees similar symptoms.

I opened the NI control panel for my Audio 2DJ sound card. I noticed that I was getting buffer underruns and USB I/O errors. I increased my sample rate which fixed the buffer underrun errors, however I was still seeing the I/O errors.

I removed every other USB device from this machine and fixed the I/O errors. Putting USB device back at a time helped me identify that my USB camera was causing the issue. I had too many devices in the one controller.

Everything is a-ok now. I've sold both of my Korg Midi's and picked up the Numark Mixtrack! ;-)

AB