• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A Wrestling Thread

Originally posted by RUBYJAY
Anyone remember when Roddy Piper killed Quick Draw Rick McGraw durring a match on Cavelcade I believe. He went nuts, it's when they used to do those Paul Orndorff jumping pile drivers.
He gave him like 10 and miss qued on one and McGraw I heard died in the hospital. Very sad

"Have a nice day":) Jay

That wasn't the case.

link

Charlie Korch Q: When I was a child a met a WWF wrestler named "Quick Draw" Rick McGraw. He was always a favorite of mine, since he showed my Dad and I around backstage (at a local show back in the late 70s, early 80s at Dickinson High School in Jersey City, NJ) and autographed my ticket stub. I remember him getting into an argument with Roddy Piper on Piper's Pit in the early 80s. Piper called him a nobody (ie. Jobber)and then proceeded to beat the hell out of him. If I remember correctly, Piper pile drove him over and over again and left him unconscious in the ring. I heard days after this match, that Quick Draw died from head injuries. I guess my question is, did Rick McGraw die shortly after this, and was his match with Piper related in any way? I heard years later that Rick died of a heart attack (possibly due to an overdose). Would you know which of these rumors if any are true?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions. 411wrestling.com is in my opinion the best wrestling web site out there, and your column is simply the most educated and informative I have read in a long, long time.

A: Thanks for the compliment Charlie...I really appreciate it. Rick "Quickdraw" McGraw's death had nothing to do with Piper's attack. The attack aired just before McGraw's death but was taped quite a while before that. You are correct that McGraw died of a heartattck and it is alleged to be drug related. The Piper story is just a legend based on a McGraw's coincidental angle and death.

Last edited:
What about George the Animal Steel?

Whats the dealo with him,

I heard all sort of stories about the guy?

Originally posted by ChrisD

Here you go :)

link

For 25 years until his retirement in 1988, George "The Animal" Steele was a professional wrestler who WWWF fans loved to boo. Bald, hairy and green- tongued, the giant madman looked like a character from Street Fighter II. He chewed turnbuckles, grunted like an early life form, and fought the likes of Gorilla Monsoon, Bruno Sammartino and The Sheik. At the same time, for 25 years until his retirement in 1985, a nice, quiet high school teacher and coach in Madison Heights called Jim Myers, '61, was enjoying success; his 1969 wrestling team won the state crown and his 1985 football team went undefeated. Both are, actually, one and the same. "I had a wife, two kids and a $4,300 salary," explains Myers, now living in Cocoa Beach, FL, with wife Pat. "I needed some extra money. A friend suggested wrestling." Jim never wrestled before. A bad knee had stymied his football career at MSU. To conceal his identity, he wore a mask during summers wrestling in places like Madison Square Garden. "Soon, everyone knew," he recounts. "Wrestling got really big, with TV coverage and all." In 1984, he appeared before 97,000 fans in Wrestlemania II at the Pontiac Silverdome--the largest indoor audience ever according to Guinness. His students would bring magazines featuring George "The Animal" Steele for him to autograph. "Who's this ugly guy Steele?" Jim would ask them with transparent innocence. Once some 80 football players showed up with his trademark green tongue (a result of chewing mints). He pretended not to notice. A WWWF Hall of Fame inductee, Jim now works as a WWWF road agent. But he has found yet another career. After a bit part in The Nanny, he got a key role in Tim Burton's movie Ed Wood, playing Tor Johnson, "the first actor who played monsters without makeup." Jim worked alongside the likes of Johnny Depp, Bill Murray, Patricia Arquette and oscar-winning Martin Landau. He is the featured star of his next movie, Blowfish. An indication of his movie success is that one can now buy George Steele stuffed animals, toys, and even dolls. Dolls? "Well," says Jim, "they are action dolls."

word on the street is that George is really a chiropractor
He attempted a comeback a couple of years ago when the Oddities were at their peak.

KURRGAN
Jackyl
Sgt. Slaughter
Colonel Mustafa
The Goon
Skinner

They really had some crazy ideas!!!

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
What was the name of that Canadian guy Mike something? He was billed as Canada's stongest man and had that band around his wrist? he was jokes. Him and Barry 'O'!

*c*

Originally posted by KickIT
What was the name of that Canadian guy Mike something? He was billed as Canada's stongest man and had that band around his wrist? he was jokes. Him and Barry 'O'!

*c*

Iron Mike Sharpe from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Originally posted by Wunderbar

Iron Mike Sharpe from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

HAHA!! Ya that's him. Did he ever win a match? He was pure jokes. They need big doofuses like that back in the WWF and I'm not talking about Spike Dudley either.

*c*

My personal fav was

BARRY "O"

What happend to that guy?

Barry "O" was Barry Orton. Brother of "Cowboy" Bob Orton.

He now works in Las Vegas doing computer work.

(there was a good interview with Bob Orton a while back on SLAM! Wreslitng with Bob that mentioned this.)

The White Shadow was always a favourite of mine
He'd always wrestle Undertaker or Giant Gonzolez (sp?) on Superstars
And just when he started to have things going his way ... whoever he was wrestling would make a counter resulting in the White Shadow loosing the match
Poor White Shadow
I also always like Max Moon ... even though he was only in the WWF for what seemed like a couple of weeks

stu

I liked when they briefly elevated Barry "pat on the back" Horowitz.

He was a jobber who finally beat Skip (of the body donnas) in one match and from there his carreer skyrocketed to lower-midcard startus.

After his monumental win, he started coming out to cheesy polka music and had new ring attire with a hand print on the back.

Then he faded away to WCW's third-tier show who's name I can't remember. (damn... Nitro was Monday, Thunder was Thursday... I can't remember the other two shows...)

Pete

They had a Saturday Night show on TBS that had been around forever
But as soon as Nitro came around it went straight to shit
I think it was called the Main Event or something like that
The place they used to hold it was tiny and there was barrier separating the crowd from the wrestlers

stu

Yes ... you're right
Does anyone remember Clash Of The Champions?
They used to be monthly or bi-monthly events on TBS way back in the day
The main event always included The HollyWood Blondes, Sting, Big Van Vader, Sid Justice, Ric Flair, Davey Boy Smith or Rhodes (I can't remember his first name ... he's Golddust now)
Those were always exciting

stu

Originally posted by silver1
I'm pretty sure it was called "WCW Saturday Night"

That's the one. Usually the main event was something like Disco Inferno vs. Norman Smiley for the TV title, or a recap from Nitro. :)

But man... did WCW ever have a wicked cruiserweight division.

Pete

The TV Title was the biggest piece of bullshit ever
It should have been called ... I feel sorry for you title
"Lord" Steven Regal held that belt for a long long time back in the early 90s
On a WCW side note ... who remembers the Wrecking Crew ... those guys always meant business

stu

Originally posted by Disco Stu
On a WCW side note ... who remembers the Wrecking Crew ... those guys always meant business

stu

I remember the Nasty Boys. They once put Disco Inferno through 3 TABLES at once!

haha... sorry... I loved watching Disco get the beats. Him and Alex Wright. They were so deserving. :)

Pete

Originally posted by Disco Stu
What about The Cat?
I loved it when he got the beats ... I hated that guy with a passion

stu

yeah, what was up with his stupid "dancing shoes"? The man couldn't even dance! He would just shuffle around until the other wrestler's music would start. And his manager? Sonny Ono?

Hey wasn't he the commissioner or something for a short while? I think he was, but it was after I'd stopped watching WCW altogether. I think that he became commissioner after that mindless angle where Ric Flair went "insane".

Pete

saturday night main event was the best all time wrestling show!
it was the only time you could see hogan defend the belt and there werent any jobbers...

(this was back in the day where the champ would only be seen like once a month)

there have been a lot of gimmicks left out of here....

the million dollar man!
his bodyguard virgil
the goon
the headbangers
forget the guys name but he was a "grundge rocker" type
doa
savio vega and his group of mexicans
the hart foundation
ultimo dragon
blue meanie
giant gonzales
phycho sid (i have a sick clip of when he broke his leg if anyone has a strong stomach...)
jesse james (road dog) when he played double J
double j (jeff jarrett)
the blue blazer (owen heart)
the natural disasters
ravishing rick rude
the texas tornado
mike awesome (im not sure if it was wwf or wcw where he liked fat chicks)
when triple h was hunter hearst helmsley and brought valets down to the ring with...

Sable actually got her start in the WWF because of Triple H ... she wasn't as "big" when she started though
Damn ... I wish Wrstlecrap.com hadn't shut down
That was a great place to go for a stroll down memory lane

stu