• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A Wrestling Thread

Dont forget

Iron Mike Sharpe!!

and the infamous Barry O

cannon fodder for the more famous wrestlers

i can't believe rikishi was the guy from the Islanders, which became the headshrinkers. how the hell did he gain that much wait in like 5 years. it must've been that all bacon and beer diet.

peace

image183.jpg

grab them CAKES!!

classic wrestler... didn't know that he died in a car crash in 1998??

RIP-JYD

Originally posted by redeyes

remember when wrestling was on like 5 times on the weekends. those where the days

peace

hahaha... those were also the days where every match was squash match between a superstar and a jobber.

Thank god WCW came along with Nitro and forced the WWF to elevate it's product a bit. I had been totally turned off to wrestling during the bad days because I could never see the good matches on PPV, just the Undertaker vs Barry Horrowitz, Lex Luger vs. Brooklyn Brawler, and other crap matches.

Pete

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Originally posted by Disco Stu
What about the Repo Man
Or Men On A Mission or even Nailz ... they sucked balls

stu

Don't forget the Big Boss Man... he was one pissed off correctional facilities officer from cobb county...

And who can forget the classic Sparky Plugg, a wrestling race car driver... pure genius!

My favourite Gimmicks:

Killer Khan
Papa Shango
Paul Bearer
Brother Love
Koko B Ware
IRS [Irwin R. Shyster!]
Kamala
The Rockers
The Mountie
Nikolai Volkoff
The Iran Sheikh
One Man Gang/Akeem

Here is only one true #1 gimmick wrestler:

THE MISSING LINK

^^ That was some funny stuff, in retrospect.

Jason

hold up hold up hold up..

The Red Rooster.

Can someone tell me what was intimidating about the whole Rooster thing?

Didn't he crow like a rooster after he won a match.. and smiled the entire time?

I don't think anyone understood.

It appears we have some crystal clear answers:

Terry Taylor

Interview: March 2001

What are your thoughts on the Red Rooster Gimmick?

Terry Taylor: It was 10 years ahead of it's time. In 1990 people weren't ready for a guy that looked like a school teacher to Mohawk his hair and paint it red. Not to mention
clucking around, bobbing my neck like a pigeon. When Vince McMahon told me what he wanted....I just plain didn't get it. Now I do and I am in a position to try and get
young guys to do things they don't understand....it's almost poetic.

Originally posted by doughboy
Here is only one true #1 gimmick wrestler:

THE MISSING LINK

^^ That was some funny stuff, in retrospect.

Jason
He's actually from my home town ... GO TEAM BURLINGTON!
I remember he came to my school in grade 8 to talk to use about drug abuse ... cause apparently he became a huge junkie and that's what ended his wrestling career

stu

Originally posted by Eclipze

bad news brown

He was definitely Bad News

Does anyone remember the promo clip they had of badnewsbrown when he was interviewed in his hometown of Harlem??? There were rats the size of cats and crackheads running around his neighbourhood. No wonder he was so angry and knocked quite a few souls out with his ghettoblaster. And the time when he agreed to share the royal rumble title with bret hart and then when bret's back was turned he ghettoblasted Bret out of the ring!!! Now that's ghetto

Nothing will ever beat the Colliseum WWF video when the doctor of style Slick and Lord Alfred Hayes take Kamala bowling!!!

Originally posted by Wunderbar

Nothing will ever beat the Colliseum WWF video when the doctor of style Slick and Lord Alfred Hayes take Kamala bowling!!!

The sad thing about the guy who played Kamala is that in the days on non-guaranteed contracts in wresting, he totally got screwed over moneywise.

In the WWF, he had a big program with Undertaker (when UT debuted) wrestling at the top of the card. They did a HUGE show in England. Undertaker got paid 500k for the event. Kamala got 12K. When he approached Vince about money after finding this out, Vince told him, "well if you think you can do better elsewhere, you're free to leave."

In WCW he main evented a PPV (Bash at the Beach I think) back in 93 with Hogan. Kamala got paid $800 for the match.

It's not that he should have made as much as UT or Hogan, but if you're the opponent in matches with those guys, the difference in pay shouldn't be THAT big.

Kamala is now back driving truck (what he did before he got into wrestling.)

Originally posted by silver1

The sad thing about the guy who played Kamala is that in the days on non-guaranteed contracts in wresting, he totally got screwed over moneywise.

In the WWF, he had a big program with Undertaker (when UT debuted) wrestling at the top of the card. They did a HUGE show in England. Undertaker got paid 500k for the event. Kamala got 12K. When he approached Vince about money after finding this out, Vince told him, "well if you think you can do better elsewhere, you're free to leave."

In WCW he main evented a PPV (Bash at the Beach I think) back in 93 with Hogan. Kamala got paid $800 for the match.

It's not that he should have made as much as UT or Hogan, but if you're the opponent in matches with those guys, the difference in pay shouldn't be THAT big.

Kamala is now back driving truck (what he did before he got into wrestling.)

what do you mean the guy who played Kamala? He's the Ugandan Headhunter!! I bet he's back in the deepest darkest jungle of Uganda getting prepared for his return to the WWF, meaner, bigger and with brighter drawings on his mantits. And what's this you say about money??? Kamala needs not material possessions. Kim Chee takes care of all of his needs.

On a serious note, Vince has never been known for his labour relations, perhaps due to the dynamics of thewrestling labour market. There are many 400 pound men who would love to be a full time sports entertainer and perhaps only 1 vacant position in that niche. That beings said, it doesn't explain why the Undertaker was paid 40 times what Kamala was given. Even though the Undertaker had special skills and a strong following, I don't understand why there was such a discrepancy.

I feel really badly for the washed up wwf superstars [koko, jake the snake. terry funk, iran sheikh, bundy] who wrestle in backwards towns across North America in high school gyms for maybe $50 a show. It's like, they can't move on and find a steady paying profession. They can't let go of their glory days when they would wrestle in front of tens of thousands of fans.

what do you mean the guy who played Kamala? He's the Ugandan Headhunter!! I bet he's back in the deepest darkest jungle of Uganda getting prepared for his return to the WWF, meaner, bigger and with brighter drawings on his mantits. And what's this you say about money??? Kamala needs not material possessions. Kim Chee takes care of all of his needs.

*LOL*... oh Kim Chee... :D

Pete

Remember when the Honky Tonk Man, was the fake Kim Chee?

I can also remember staying up late, and they'd have the Saturday Night Main Events, man it was awesome cause back then it wasnt too often superstars would fight each other.
Yeah ol sckool wrestling.
Dave

On a serious note, Vince has never been known for his labour relations, perhaps due to the dynamics of thewrestling labour market. There are many 400 pound men who would love to be a full time sports entertainer and perhaps only 1 vacant position in that niche. That beings said, it doesn't explain why the Undertaker was paid 40 times what Kamala was given. Even though the Undertaker had special skills and a strong following, I don't understand why there was such a discrepancy.

I feel really badly for the washed up wwf superstars [koko, jake the snake. terry funk, iran sheikh, bundy] who wrestle in backwards towns across North America in high school gyms for maybe $50 a show. It's like, they can't move on and find a steady paying profession. They can't let go of their glory days when they would wrestle in front of tens of thousands of fans.

Well things have gotten better in the business. They're treated less like circus animals now (I didn't say no longer, just less then before).

For one thing, they get guaranteed downside contracts now (i.e. the minimum amount they'll get paid for the year even if they don't wrestle) with extra money for PPVs and such. Plus if they get injured now, the WWF takes care of their medical expenses.

And nowadays, even the bottom feeders in the WWF make 100k/year which isn't too bad.

That being said, with the WWF really the only game in town now, it will be interesting to see how Chris Jericho's contract situation goes (he's the first major person to have their contract expire in the one Fed. era). It will be interesting to see if they low-ball him because essentially, he has no where else to go.

Originally posted by silver1

That being said, with the WWF really the only game in town now, it will be interesting to see how Chris Jericho's contract situation goes (he's the first major person to have their contract expire in the one Fed. era). It will be interesting to see if they low-ball him because essentially, he has no where else to go.

That would make me very sad, as I quite enjoy watching Chris Jericho.

~ Johane

Originally posted by Moez

That would make me very sad, as I quite enjoy watching Chris Jericho.

~ Johane

Well I hope that the WWF realize that Jericho is worth more now to the company then he was when he entered in 99. Especially with Rock gone to do movies. Austin and UT getting older and probably nearing the end of their careers, and Hogan already making payments on his brand new steel hip, wheel chair and respirator. ;)

Anyone remember when Roddy Piper killed Quick Draw Rick McGraw durring a match on Cavelcade I believe. He went nuts, it's when they used to do those Paul Orndorff jumping pile drivers.
He gave him like 10 and miss qued on one and McGraw I heard died in the hospital. Very sad

On a funnier note the best loser had to be Mr.X, I think he only won one match. He was my favorite guy you knew would never win.:cool: Best Tag were the Road Warriors when they were in the NWA. Smoke a doobie and watch some of there matches with the Fabulous Freebirds. Tripple cage matches, Scaffold matches. The NWA had some seriosly crazy guys!

I wrestled for 4 years in high school and though it is different than Pro Wrestling...Anyone and I mean anyone who believes Wrestling is FAKE need there head checked. Watching tough enough has done some justice but remeber. That's just there training. Get the picture.

"Have a nice day":) Jay

snuka.jpg

Anyone remeber the infamous Piper's Pit when Roddy had Jimmy Snuka on? Him and Paul Orndorff went crazy and started smashing coconuts on poor Snuka's head, then proceeded to smush bananas on his face while he was unconscious.