1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

a typical day in jersalem?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by todiefor, Apr 27, 2010.

1. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

Has anyone spent time in Jerusalem? What's a typical day look like there, from what your experience was? What type of sounds, smells, sites pop up in your memory?

Curious.

Thanks.

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

olive oil, a wall surrounding the Palestinians, lots of fundamentalists.. women with guns, bulldozers

3. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

it's a fascinating city, it is divided into different sections, so you would see/smell/feel very different things in different neighbourhoods.

some of my more vivid memories from jerusalem...hmm...
    -sitting on a rooftop from which we could see parts of the jewish quarter, arab quarter and armenian quarter, and seeing a sea of satellite dishes.
    -going through the crazy security at the kotel (the western wall) to enter my aunt's office, and realizing that she deals with that gong show at least twice a day. she works at a yeshiva that is right beside the wall.
    -on friday evening, as a kid, hanging in my cousins' neighbourhood (an ultra-orthodox suburb of jerusalem) and seeing roadblocks set up around the perimeter streets of the neighbourhood. it was to stop anyone from driving on the streets during shabbat. it struck me as really extreme.
    -eating the BEST falafel and BEST ice cream on the streets of jerusalem.
    -my brother displaying his complete lack of haggling skills in the arab shuk (market) and wildly overpaying for this bad-ass dagger.
    -walking in the Old City and feeling this palpable weight of history in the air. it's something i've never really felt anywhere else.

these are just some of the things that popped into my head. i've been 3 times.

4. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

I recall thicker than usual windows on most homes. I thought it was perhaps a safety feature but was told by a rabbi it was so kids don't hear the ice cream truck coming down the street.