• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A snake!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Huge snake reportedly found in Jakarta

ASSOCIATED PRESS

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesian villagers claim to have captured a python that is almost 15 metres long and weighs nearly 450 kilograms, a local official said today.

If confirmed, it would be the largest snake ever kept in captivity.

Hundreds of people have flocked to see the snake at a primitive zoo in Curugsewu village on the country's main island of Java, Republika daily reported. It splashed two large pictures of the reptile across its back page.

Local government official Rachmat said the python measured 14.85 metres and weighed in at 447 kilograms.

The Guinness Book of Records lists the longest ever captured snake to be 9.75 metres. The heaviest, a Burmese Python kept in Gurnee, Ill., weighs 182.76 kilograms, according to the book's website.

Republika said the snake, which was caught last year but only recently put on public display, eats three or four dogs a month.

Reticulated pythons are the world's longest snakes. They are capable of eating animals as large as sheep, and have been known to attack and consume humans.

The species is native to the swamps and jungles of Southeast Asia.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
If confirmed, it would be the largest snake ever kept in captivity.
How else can you keep a snake? Not in captivity? If it is not in captivity, then you haven't kept it.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Gizmo

TRIBE Member

Curled up in its cage at an Indonesian provincial zoo, the reticulated python rests its 447-kilo (984-lb) bulk.

A stretch on a bench gives a glimpse of the beast's full, record-breaking 15-metre (49-foot) length.

3 of 5
Its digestive system is quite adequate for tackling human beings but zookeepers prefer to feed it dogs.

4 of 5
In a month, it can eat around five pooches, snake handler Imam Darmanto told Reuters news agency.

5 of 5
The interest it takes in the humans now flocking to gaze upon its coils is possibly just curiosity.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
Reticulated pythons are the world's longest snakes. They are capable of eating animals as large as sheep, and have been known to attack and consume humans.

The species is native to the swamps and jungles of Southeast Asia.
is that true though? I had heard that the Boa constrictor was larger than the Reduxulated python. Oh well.

Cri

TRIBE Member
*shudder*

would you rather come face to face with one of those huge snakes..or the spider from LOTR: ROTK?!?!?!?! :eek:

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cri
*shudder*

would you rather come face to face with one of those huge snakes..or the spider from LOTR: ROTK?!?!?!?! :eek:
Snake! Arachnapobic I am. I mean if it was in style i'd wear snakeskin stuff, wont catch me carrying a spider abdomen wallet.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
don't you mean panama?
No, he meant Ipanema

Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes
Each one she passes goes a-a-h!

When she walks she's like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gentle
That when she passes
Each one she passes goes a-a-h!

Ooh but I watch her so sadly
How can I tell her I love her
Yes I would give his heart gladly
But each day when she walks to the sea
She looks straight ahead not at me

Tall and tan and young and lovely
And when she passes
I smile but she doesn't see
She never sees me

Ooh but I watch her so sadly
How can I tell her I love her
Yes I would give my heart gladly
But each day when she walks to the sea
She looks ahead not at me

Tall and tan and young and lonely
And when she passes
I smile but she doesn't see

Xtatic

TRIBE Member
Snakes can make great pets

I had an 8 ft. Burmese Python at one point. They are very interesting creatures. Feeding them can look a bit gross but none-the-less, they are very interesting.