• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A Skillz live @ 360

Social.Science

TRIBE Member
A Skillz

live @ 360 Sydney, Australia

This mix is so fucking good and firmly seats A Skillz on the throne of the next level.

Enjoy. :)

At only 24 years old his incredible deck talents involve fusing funk, hip-hop and breaks with his unique style of scratching and mixing. His reputation as a true party rocker has won him prime-time slots across the UK at FabricLive, Spectrum, Chew The Fat, Supercharged, The Boutique and Sugarbeat as well as gigs around the world at major events, festivals and music industry parties such as The Hit Factory (New York), WMC (Miami) and Field Day (Sydney)

In 2003 A.Skillz released his debut album “TrickaTechnology” alongside Finger Lickin's very own Krafty Kuts. The album was a nod towards musical influences like De La Soul, James Brown and Jurassic 5, true Finger Lickin' Funk that enlisted the talents of some of the world's best hip-hop and funk artists including Kurtis Blow, Real Elements and Ashley “Freakpower” Slater.

February 2004 saw A.Skillz and Krafty Kuts team up on the TrickaTechnology Tour with live MC’s from the album playing shows all over the UK. The duo then went on to DJ together leaving audiences and dance floors astounded with their skills on four decks and four CDJ’s, playing at Glastonbury Festival, Pacha (Ibiza) and a live session for Steve Lamaq on BBC Radio 1.

In October 2004 A.Skillz then embarked on his first solo tour of Australia which saw him play to sell out crowds in all major capital cities, gaining new fans and respect from fellow DJ’s along the way. He followed this by extensive gigs in the UK and a busy studio schedule producing music for Channel 4 (Talk Back), Renault (TV advert) and Sony Playstation (Gran Tourismo 4).

A.Skillz kicked off 2005 in January with a mini-mix for Annie Mac that was later voted best mini-mix of the year by Radio 1 listeners, beating industry heavyweights such as Basement Jaxx, Mylo and Scratch Perverts. He followed this with a series of remixes including The Fort Knox Five and a re-rub of his own track Simple Things. Highlight gigs last year included 10:15 (San Francisco), Snow Bombing (Austria) Mystery Lands Festival (Amsterdam) Homelands (UK), Live 8 After Show Party (London). Since October he has clocked up some serious air miles playing across Australia, Canada, America, Europe and returning to the UK to bring in the New Year at GPO in Ireland.

2006 is shaping up to be his biggest year yet. He is currently working on his first mix album for Finger Lickin Records whilst planning his next artist album which will see him team up with some major names for some seriously hot collaborations!

Social.Science

TRIBE Member
This link will be up until monday and then will be swapped out for something new...so get it while you can and pass it along to your friends.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Social.Science

TRIBE Member
The above link is now dead but i just uploaded another mix from last year that is pretty sweet too. ;)

Krafty Kuts & A. Skillz 2005 Boxfresh Promo

Tracklisting:

01. A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts / Short Breath (A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts Tour Intro) 00:20
02. Stezo / Bring The Horns 00:04
03. Mad Skillz / The Nod Factor (A Cappella) 00:19
04. Nice & Smooth / Funky For You 00:09
05. Q-Tip / Breathe & Stop (A Cappella) 00:13
06. Cash Money & Marvelous / Real Mutha For Ya 00:28
07. Amerie / 1 Thing 00:08
08. Kayne West / All Falls Down (A Cappella) 01:07
09. A Tribe Called Quest / Electric Relaxation (Properly Relaxed Mix) 02:46
10. Eric B & Rakim / Paid In Full 01:21
11. Foreign Legion / Intangible MCs 01:35
12. En Vogue / Hold On 00:04
13. EPMD / Never Seen Before (A Cappella) 00:45
14. Mary J. Blige / Real Love (Hip Hop Club Mix) 00:46
15. Stimulated Dummies / Del Meets The Dummies 01:09
16. La Funk Mob / Ravers Suck Our Sound (Mystic Mix) 00:23
17. Schoolly D / PSK (Bonus Beat) 00:10
18. Das EFX / Real Hip-Hop 01:28
19. 50 Cent / Disco Inferno (A Cappella) 01:17
20. Tower Of Power / It Takes Two (To Make It Happen) 01:07
21. Kool & The Gang / Jungle Jazz 00:08
22. Wrecks-N-Effect / Rump Shaker (A Cappella) 00:53
23. Sly & Family Stone / Stand! 00:04
24. Three Times Dope / Once More You Hear The Dope Stuff (A Cappella) 01:08
25. Ultramagnetic MCs / Poppa Large (A Cappella) 01:01
26. Mr Bloe / Chicken Feed 00:56
27. KC & The Sunshine Band / Boogie Shoes 00:56
28. Stetsasonic / So Let The Fun Begin (A Cappella) 00:08
29. Friend & Lover / Reach Out Of The Darkness 00:43
30. Stetsasonic / The Hip Hop Band 01:03
31. Boxfresh Skit I 00:07
32. ACDC / Back In Black 00:08
33. Mobb Deep / Shook Ones Part II (A Cappella) 01:17
34. A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts / Tricka Technology (VIP Mix) 03:02
35. Michael Jackson / Rock With You (A Cappella) 00:25
36. Audio Bootys / Joe Cocker 02:43
37. The Fort Knox Five / The Brazilian Hipster 01:30
38. Uptown / Dope On Plastic (Plastipella) 01:03
39. Krafty Skillz / Superstar 00:19
40. Eric B & Rakim / Let The Rhythm Hit Em (A Cappella) 00:45
41. Black Eyed Peas / Joints & Jam 00:07
42. Run DMC / Is It Live (A Cappella) 00:53
43. Krafty Skillz / Insane Banger 00:38
44. A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts / Simple Things (feat. Real Elements) (A.Skillz Remix) 02:44
45. Krafty Skillz / Gang Flow Banger 01:04
46. Redman / Let's Get Dirty (I Can't Get In Da Club) (feat. DJ Kool) 01:04
47. Krafty Skillz / Music Sounds Fatter With U 01:19
48. Krafty Skillz / Another One Bites 03:01
49. A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts / Michael Jackson vs Mantronix (Wanna Be King Of The Beats) 01:19
50. A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts / Gimme The Breaks (feat. Kurtis Blow) 02:02
51. James Brown / Can't Get Any Harder (feat. Leaders Of The New School) (The New School Mix) 02:43
52. Hot Streak / Bodywork 00:28
53. Hijack / The Badman Is Robbin' (A Cappella) 01:15
54. Caveman / Positive Reaction 01:42
55. Visage / Pleasure Boys 00:23
56. Boxfresh Skit II / Keith Murray (Get Lifted [LP Instrumental]) 00:24
57. Pendulum / Masochist 00:04
58. Wrecks-N-Effect / Top Billin (A Cappella) 00:09
59. Roni Size / Out Of Breath (feat. Rahzel) 00:10
60. Fresh / When The Sun Goes Down (feat. Adam F) (Dillinja Remix) 00:04
61. Tha Alkaholiks / The Next Level (A Cappella) 00:14
62. A.Skillz & Krafty Kuts / Outro 00:12

Enjoy. :)

Social.Science

TRIBE Member
No worries, music is meant to be shared. :)

Later this week I'll upload Krafty Kuts live @ Snowbombing, some wicked old hiphop on that mix.

Peace.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i can only assume he was using Live, but operating under that assumption i'll make the statement that i've never heard a Live set that i liked.
(haven't seen your Live show yet dylan ;))

next to no mixes, very little flow, random mash-ups that rarely work, you're lucky to find any time to get into the groove before a drastic change, etc, etc.

who wants to hear a hundred different tracks in an hour? who needs to hear snippets from every great hip-hop track from the past 20 years in an hour?

KISS.

i know Live's got the potential, as people do, but i've yet to see it/them live up to it.

just my 3 cents.. :cool:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
you're wrong, he was using serrato....assumption makes an ass out of you and me and.....umption.

as for the "who wants to hear a hundred different tracks in an hour?" question, its enough people that he has a really good career going based on it ;) i caught a set of his in melboune a while back and it was the highlight of the night , at least as far as crowd response went.

Last edited:

Social.Science

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
i can only assume he was using Live, but operating under that assumption i'll make the statement that i've never heard a Live set that i liked.
(haven't seen your Live show yet dylan ;))

next to no mixes, very little flow, random mash-ups that rarely work, you're lucky to find any time to get into the groove before a drastic change, etc, etc.

who wants to hear a hundred different tracks in an hour? who needs to hear snippets from every great hip-hop track from the past 20 years in an hour?

KISS.

i know Live's got the potential, as people do, but i've yet to see it/them live up to it.

just my 3 cents.. :cool:
Wow aren't you witty. :rolleyes:

I really don't care how they made it and the truth is I liked hearing all those great hip-hop tracks in one hour, despite the fact that yes they are in parts just quick cuts, next to no mixing, and with questionnable flow. If I wanted to hear Krafty Kuts really mix smooth, slick, and subtle, than I would listen to his Essential Mix, Breaks FM, Annie On One, Triple J mixup, Fractured, Mantra, or his licensed CDs.

I can't believe anyone would make such a retarded comment.

!Myagi! said:
its enough people that he has a really good career going based on it
Thank you.;)

If anyone would like to receive a weekly email with links to live sets and such send me a pm with your email addy.

Ciao.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Social.Science said:
Wow aren't you witty. :rolleyes:

I really don't care how they made it and the truth is I liked hearing all those great hip-hop tracks in one hour, despite the fact that yes they are in parts just quick cuts, next to no mixing, and with questionnable flow. If I wanted to hear Krafty Kuts really mix smooth, slick, and subtle, than I would listen to his Essential Mix, Breaks FM, Annie On One, Triple J mixup, Fractured, Mantra, or his licensed CDs.

I can't believe anyone would make such a retarded comment.
witty? i was sharing my opinion on the set. why are you being such a cunt?

you enjoyed the set, which is great, as that's what music is for.

i apologize for having such 'retarded' opinions.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
!Myagi! said:
you're wrong, he was using serrato....assumption makes an ass out of you and me and.....umption.
poor ol' umption..

anyway, obviously his technical skill is second to none, but his programming just doesn't sit well with me. i'll be loving one segment, then it just drops out into mehness, then back, and the cycle continues.

different strokes for different folks i s'pose.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
poor ol' umption..

anyway, obviously his technical skill is second to none, but his programming just doesn't sit well with me. i'll be loving one segment, then it just drops out into mehness, then back, and the cycle continues.

different strokes for different folks i s'pose.
yeah, youre listening for a specific form of programming finesse where there isnt really any need for it. hes a party dj and one of the best of the world and if youre up for that kind of stuff youll love it but some people just arnt into it.

personally, im alllllllllll over it :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
!Myagi! said:
hes a party dj and one of the best of the world and if youre up for that kind of stuff youll love it but some people just arnt into it.
it's not that i have anything against party dj's.. Lorin would no doubt be classified as such, and in my eye's he's one the world's most entertaining and underrated dj's.

again, horses and courses.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
it's not that i have anything against party dj's.. Lorin would no doubt be classified as such, and in my eye's he's one the world's most entertaining and underrated dj's.

again, horses and courses.
i woudnt put lorin in that category at all man! certainly works a party well, but he's deeper than that IMO, party djs in my opinion are the ones who play obvious stuff but twist it around, full on assault kind of stuff.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
!Myagi! said:
i woudnt put lorin in that category at all man! certainly works a party well, but he's deeper than that IMO, party djs in my opinion are the ones who play obvious stuff but twist it around, full on assault kind of stuff.
really?

well, Lorin's my idea of a party dj. there's no reason why a party dj can't dig a little deeper, and you'll never see a place go off like when Lorin's playing. if a full-on assault is the requirement, he certainly meets it.

judging by his mix cd's you wouldn't think he was a party dj, but they're nothing like what he plays live.. it's always party-rockin' choon after party-rockin' choon when he's in the place.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
oh yeah totally - i guess its just not how i meant the term. in general when that term is applied to hip hop oriented or midtempo guys it pretty much indicates total cross genre appeal and a taste for a bit of cheese, etc., which qualifies in the case of a skills but not lorin for sure. thats not a slight against lorin at ALL - for what he is he rocks it i know, and he is easily one of the more accessible guys from the new fringes of the breaks spectrum.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
hah! im not fighting at all dude - purely exchange of ideas on my part. i always find it interesting to hear what certain people who come at the sound differently construe as being "party breaks" or "dark" or "funk" or any of the terms we all use because as much as we all think we have a universal definition for those terms, we dont.

as for the ableton sucks thing, i dont give a shit about that either, im switching off ableton soon. laserdisc baby!!!!!! the way of the future!