• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A show of hands

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
Sorry to y'all with this, but I have been given Saturday nights at a club downtown if I want to start something up.

So any who... just wondering who would consider going if it started. I don't want to commit, and not have a crowd.

The venue is to TBA, but it has about a 200 person capacity plus a roof top patio.

The main room would be breaks played by a definate local favorite from open till 2:00am, and from 2:00am 'till close would be prog. house/tribal/ and some dirty electro played by a good friend of mine (lil' Ricky dj.) who can be seen this Sunday @ 5ive. Admission would most likely be $15.00

Breaks on a Saturday.... I mean c'mon!

Any ways... what do you think?

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I would say that when starting out a club night from scratch, with just one DJ to draw with, you might not want to have much of a cover charge, if any.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Also starting out a weekly on a Saturday night will be tough. Might want to think about monthly and build a reputation until you work your way down to being able to draw weekly. You have to be really careful what you do the first (and subsequent few after) time out.

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
^^^^ sound advice, especaily in summer with soo much going on.
That being said I would love to see a weekly breaks night.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Is this going to be a weekly event? If so...

Just speaking from experience but you'll have trouble drawing a crowd on a weekly basis unless you have well defined headliners and heavy promotion. A locals only event will only last a few weeks at best. Unless this bar already has heavy traffic of it's own and the music is somewhat irrelevant.

In my opinion you'll probably need to do one of two things. Either line up and promote the weekly event series with defined headliners (out of town talent will become necessary quickly) or divide the saturdays amoung several "groups". This can all be under your lead, but the style/flavour of the night will need to be varied. You may not like all the styles of music but it it likely to do vastly better if you cover a wider range so that you hit more groups. Pick four styles of music (maybe more ie house/breaks can go together, as could house/techno). One for each Saturday of the month.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
divide the saturdays amoung several "groups". This can all be under your lead, but the style/flavour of the night will need to be varied. You may not like all the styles of music but it it likely to do vastly better if you cover a wider range so that you hit more groups. Pick four styles of music (maybe more ie house/breaks can go together, as could house/techno). One for each Saturday of the month.
Also definitely an option. It would defintely require ALOT of promotion though.

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
I would say that when starting out a club night from scratch, with just one DJ to draw with, you might not want to have much of a cover charge, if any.
Well, the club already exists, and currently has a cover of $25 with house dj's that I have never even heard of, and fills every weekend. Plus, it is not really a charity event. And we do want people with class err...cash to attend.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
Also definitely an option. It would defintely require ALOT of promotion though.
Totally. You're talking about a HUGE endeavor to fill a club on a weekly basis with any type of electronic music on a small scale like this. With 200ppl you have some cash to work with. You could have some mid-level headliners ($1000/night). Just doing a monthly gets hard. My true suggestion would be get four groups together. Let each group run it's night. If a night starts to falter then you assist, and if it continues to slide you replace it.

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Totally. You're talking about a HUGE endeavor to fill a club on a weekly basis with any type of electronic music on a small scale like this. With 200ppl you have some cash to work with. You could have some mid-level headliners ($1000/night). Just doing a monthly gets hard. My true suggestion would be get four groups together. Let each group run it's night. If a night starts to falter then you assist, and if it continues to slide you replace it.
Sound like good advise. I will have to generate $ before I can spend it, but I do plan to have headliners after a couple weeks. I am sure that the breaks dj has plenty of contacts.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
If you think people will pay $15 for a local breaks dj and some no-name prog dj you're off your rocker.

Start small, work with your friends, only book djs who charge nothing because they want to be involved and and will take what you can give at the end of the night.

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
If you think people will pay $15 for a local breaks dj and some no-name prog dj you're off your rocker.

Start small, work with your friends, only book djs who charge nothing because they want to be involved and and will take what you can give at the end of the night.
There goes my breaks dj. Now I am worse off than when I started. Also, my no-name house dj fills venues every time he plays. He actually has a pretty big following, which yes, will be less then half when they have to pay, but still... He filled a frshly opened club (the old Rockit) last weekend, and that wasn't his first time. I do have faith in him, but when some are saying spend money on a headliner, and others are saying have people play no-charge... my idea is at least somehwere inbetween. And the cover can be reduced. As mentioned, I am looking for input for those types of issues, but it won't be going under $10. My breaks dj was packing the back of soundbar when people where paying $25 to get in.

lucinda

TRIBE Member
Wow the Rockit! My good friend used to own that place...hrmmmm can't imagine it being a house club. Good Luck

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Yeah but it's not just about the DJ...It's about the night. There are some DJ's at, say, Make It Funky that I wouldn't necessarily pay $15 to see, but I will easily pay $15 for a MiF party because I KNOW the vibe, the crowd, and the music will be easily worth that.

Sum of parts < Whole

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:

I'd have to agree with you. However, the question of what the club has going already is interesting. Doug said they pay $25 cover to see house DJ's he doesn't know of. Now, does that mean they're no-name or are they good names he just hasn't heard of? Are these same people going to attend when it's not their DJ's up there?

In essense does the club itself have draw? Do people go there, just go to there? If so, the the music is partially irrelevant, but change the status quo too much and you may find yourself with an empty room the next week.

Depending on the status of local talent I'd be saying $10 tops for cover. With out of town talent you can raise that.

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
lucinda said:
Wow the Rockit! My good friend used to own that place...hrmmmm can't imagine it being a house club. Good Luck
that's just where my friend played last week. Definatley NOT where I will be holding my events.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
I'd have to agree with you. However, the question of what the club has going already is interesting. Doug said they pay $25 cover to see house DJ's he doesn't know of. Now, does that mean they're no-name or are they good names he just hasn't heard of? Are these same people going to attend when it's not their DJ's up there?

In essense does the club itself have draw? Do people go there, just go to there? If so, the the music is partially irrelevant, but change the status quo too much and you may find yourself with an empty room the next week.

Depending on the status of local talent I'd be saying $10 tops for cover. With out of town talent you can raise that.
Thanks!

Yah, I have been partying in the scene for 11 years, and have never heard of these guys. hey are the same 3 guys every week. They do play pretty good, but yah... people just go there for the sake of going. The owners are very well known... not necessarily by tribe members... but very well known.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories