• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A Sad Day In Canadian History

praktik

TRIBE Member
Sucks we have to suffer the injury first before the supreme Court settles it, would prefer we just don't make bad policy to begin with!

But I trust our courts will roll back the worst of this- will just take a few years... :( we have strong charter and tradition of charter law that has protected us recently: some tough on crime Harper legislation has been overturned in recent years..

If it's a big enough election issue the incoming PM may have made promises to walk it back too so there's always that!

Considering Harper's luck with the supreme court has been shakier than Michael J Fox's head in a helicopter, I'm pretty confident that they're going to strike a lot of it down.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I'm sat in a bar in Niagara Falls talking to some Americans and lamenting C-51.

I tried to explain "well it's kind of like your Patriot Act. No Canadians I've met so far want it."

They were like "What's the Patriot act?"

Stunned.

The bartender is in top #2 of what I know. Born in Serbia, knows more about Ccanadian politics than I do.

Which, according to your opinion, might not be much.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

derek

TRIBE Member
the new laws won't impact me because i'm not a terroist, and i'm also immune to police because i don't break the law

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
curious what you all think about Omar Khadr's release ?
or more importantly, the obscene amounts of taxpayer money Harper spent on lawyers fighting this to the end, and losing...again.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think its crazy to arrest a child soldier in a war zone who attacked SOLDIERS as a "terrorist" - so what, American soldiers can go invade and occupy, and whenever someone fights back they're a "terrorist"?

Does that mean Afghanis could arrest American soldiers when they lose a battle, and hold them for the rest of their lives in black sites as terrorists?

I guess I was under the impression that in wartime it was legitimate for soldiers to attack other soldiers...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
If Harper could frame khadr in some new "terrorist" attack he could win public support with the worlds largest "i told you so" and then just kill him off afterwards.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Sucks we have to suffer the injury first before the supreme Court settles it, would prefer we just don't make bad policy to begin with!

But I trust our courts will roll back the worst of this- will just take a few years... :( we have strong charter and tradition of charter law that has protected us recently: some tough on crime Harper legislation has been overturned in recent years..

If it's a big enough election issue the incoming PM may have made promises to walk it back too so there's always that!
Surprising that you can see this as bad policy, which it is, but were so fervently in favour of the "green" policies of Wynn's Libs, which is also very bad policy, and for the same reasons - neither accomplishes the policy goals. Maybe political preference is playing a part yes?

What's worse are Trudeau's panzy Liberals who also backed it.
I know that this may sound like a bullshit excuse, but he really didn't have a choice - the Liberals have an image to maintain and they can't come across as "soft" on terrorism related issues. And unfortunately, some of the less urban and educated areas in Canada would buy into that bullshit line if the Conservatives say it.

They've said that they're going to amend it as soon as they get in power, but in the process, they've driven some of their supporters to the NDP. But whether they stay there in a few months is another story. While it is a big deal that the NDP have taken over Alberta, it doesn't mean that a huge upset on a federal level is automatically in the cards.

Khadr seems like a nice enough guy.
He comes across a genuinely changed person - I hope that's proof that he was rehabilitated in light of the horrible circumstances he was subjected to. Time will ultimately tell if he's sincere or not.

And I think the Harper Gov't doubled down on their stupid line because they know they're going to get a lot of shit once Khadr sits down to do some interviews to explain what he was subjected to, and will likely add to the reputation they've earned as being people who do nothing if you're outside of Canada and in any kind of trouble. This is not going to be a pleasant election this fall.