• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A-Rod to the Yankees

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Remember when you'd choose teams in hockey by throwing your sticks in the middle?
Or have two captains and choose alternately to form 2 teams?

What we have now in MLB, is like having the richest kids in the neighbourhood come with their piggybanks and buy off the most talented kids on their block.
After all, it is just a game but since it's still about winning and losing... money is ruining the game.

Just like in hockey, there are too many teams and the league is creating more discrepancy by allowing big transfers. The NHL has 30 teams. If they had 15 instead, every game would be packed and the calibre of players and game quality would be phenomenal.

I guess it happens everywhere, like in soccer/football- Beckham, Zidane, Ronaldo, Carlos, Figo all on one team. :rolleyes:

I guess that's why the Olympics is so appelaing, as it's about amateurs... or is it about the richest countries? :cool:



BTW, I hope the Yankees get their ass kicked by the Jays this year.
 
Last edited:

crave_e

TRIBE Member
I have to disagree a bit on this point.
Yes the Yankees spend a lot of cash. But money can't buy you championships. (look at the NY Rangers in Hockey)

Florida Marlins, California Angels....they both had a mediocure payroll and they came ontop at the World Series.

Sports is like real life. You have the HAVES and the HAVE NOT.
The whole joy of sports is watching these two polar opposites compete.

F**k...I love it when the Yankees spend all this money, because when they lose, it makes it more satisfying.

ps..Jays Suck...go Puerto Rico/Montreal/ANYTOWN USA Expos.
 

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
I posted this in another thread.

The numbers behind A-Rod's deal to the Yankees

-Signed 10 year $252 mill deal in 2000

-After 3 years he recieved $71mil of that money(includes base, bonuses etc)

-Texas will pay $67mil of the contract. Thus the 3 years ARod played in Texas averages out to 46mil/season

-Yankees on the hook for only $112 over 7 years. 16/season?

-There's $36mil in deferred money(owed by the Rangers) that gets paid out until 2025 and it's guaranteed even if there's a strike/lockout

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the
Yankees will give him his own private suite for away games
Rangers will buy his home, and his 2 privately owned suites.
 

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by fleaflo
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the
Yankees will give him his own private suite for away games
Rangers will buy his home, and his 2 privately owned suites.
Shouldn't a guy making a quarter of a billion dollars be able to buy his own home?

At what dollar value do you become so rich you don't have to spend your own money?
 

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
You have to wonder how any other team can compete with the Yankees with their line-up.

At our National Sales Conference we had Billy Beane, Manager of the A's I think come and speak. It was interesting to see how the A's have remained competitive compared to almost all clubs regardless of their low salaries. Good book too, I think its called "Money Ball" or something like that.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by H2Whoa
A-Rod is overrated
Completely false statement.

The money aspect of it happened because of an overzealous owner. But ARod has earned all of his cash in those 3 years.
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Shouldn't a guy making a quarter of a billion dollars be able to buy his own home?

At what dollar value do you become so rich you don't have to spend your own money?
thank you. 1/4 billion is ridiculous.
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
trevor kidd went on friday to buy a truck off my friend (goldenmile) and was harping over a $2000 or so lease penalty that he was well aware of when he signed the lease.

point is: it doesnt matter how much you make, its how cheap you are.

athletes/ celebrities probably get TONS of stuff for free, because they can, and because the companies want them to have it.
 

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
take a look at the Yanks projected opening day batting order:

:eek:

Kenny Lofton
Derek Jeter
A-Rod
Jason Giambi
Gary Sheffield
Hideki Matsui
Jorge Posada
Bernie Williams
Enrique Wilson

What a farce. How can you have a competitive league when one team's payroll is 200 Million (yanks) and another whose payroll is 28 million (Tampa Bay)???
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by crave_e
I have to disagree a bit on this point.
Yes the Yankees spend a lot of cash. But money can't buy you championships. (look at the NY Rangers in Hockey)

Florida Marlins, California Angels....they both had a mediocure payroll and they came ontop at the World Series.

Sports is like real life. You have the HAVES and the HAVE NOT.
The whole joy of sports is watching these two polar opposites compete.

F**k...I love it when the Yankees spend all this money, because when they lose, it makes it more satisfying.

ps..Jays Suck...go Puerto Rico/Montreal/ANYTOWN USA Expos.

...trust me, I am ALL about the underdog. All I'm saying is that games could be more competitive if there was a semblance of equality. Sports is exciting because you never know what could happen. But the odds are, the majority of games will suck when there is too much inequality between rich and poor teams. And you always see the same teams in the playoffs, etc.

If the NHL cut the player count to around 350, we would have one hell of a league. And have a draft with 15 managers picking one at a time. That would be dope.
USFL, WHA, XFL, etc. RIP :D
 

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
You have to wonder how any other team can compete with the Yankees with their line-up.

At our National Sales Conference we had Billy Beane, Manager of the A's I think come and speak. It was interesting to see how the A's have remained competitive compared to almost all clubs regardless of their low salaries. Good book too, I think its called "Money Ball" or something like that.
Horrible book "Money Ball" It' all about Billy Beane and the genius he is. LOL. It's all smoke and mirrors. First off the players that he drafted that are talked about in the book are not living up to expectations or at least Mr Beanes Expectations. Secondly he's not some sort of wiz kid that just thought up all this new and inovative ideas about players. What Mr Billy Beane is, is anti Mr Billy Beane. What I mean by that is he was a '5 tool player' who couldn't cut it in the big leagues so now he's anti 5 tool player just to spite himself. The guy even pulled a Glen Sather and said if had the gm job of the dodgers or what not that he would win. Crock of shit. I was wishing he'd get that Job so as to laugh in his face. But his right hand man in Oakland got it. So now that the two men that are/where really behind those A's Depoatso and are own J.P. Ricarddi are gone will see where the A's are in the next couple fo years.

A-Rod is not overrated Over paid YES but all athletes are.
But what He isnt is over rated. Now What I'm waiting to see is how he carrys the Yankees because thats HIS Job now. Jeters days are numbered in The Bronx Zoo.
 

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
So the Yankees can hit, but can they pitch? Haven't heard them do much to replace Clemens and Petite.

Good pitching always beats good hitting.
 

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
So the Yankees can hit, but can they pitch? Haven't heard them do much to replace Clemens and Petite.

Good pitching always beats good hitting.
They picked up Javier Vasquez and Kevin Brown.

They still have Mussina.

Their pitching is solid.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
You have to wonder how any other team can compete with the Yankees with their line-up.

Easy and nothing new.
The Yankees have had this type of salary expense compared to most other teams for years.

All the top teams in either league had 90+ wins. This salary certainly doesn't guarantee them world series win.

He is a great player but with the money he makes A-Rod has to carry his team. Unfortunately he's not playing football where big indivdual performances often translate into victory. His salary is a curse. Anything short of him single handedly winning almost ever game makes him instantly overrated. Any team he plays for has to win big or his individual stats mean nothing except in his and his agent's eyes.

If anyone is entitled to that much money it's a pitcher not a 3rd baseman. I would rather pay for strikeouts than throws to first.
 

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
I wouldn't call that solid. Of course the Yanks will be able to sign someone like Maddux.
Brown & Mussina have been one of the most consistent pitchers around. Those guys will give you 7-8 solid innings each night. Then you have guys like Vazquez and Contreras and maybe Lieber who can maybe give you six innings. Even if they only do 5, they have some of the better releivers in the league now:

Tom Gordon
Felix Heredia
Paul Quantrill
Steve Karsay

to name a few

and arguably the best closer in the majors: Mariano Rivera

sounds pretty solid to me.
 

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Jeters days are numbered in The Bronx Zoo.
Not true , looks like A-Rod is gonna play 3rd.

And if they did get rid of Jeter , they would probably trade him for another starting pitcher. Ya cant win.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I'm telling you Jeter and A-Rod wont be able to co-exsist for very long. Perhaps this season but not much longer. specially if they don't win. These two guys have been having words with each other through the media for a few years now, after Alex said Jeter wasn't a very good shortstop. But will See. I still think they have TO much talent to win with. That their pot will boil over. And well The Red Sox just aren't suppose to win. Which leaves the door open for the Blue Jays. Hey 20 years ago the Yankees team was comparative to the Yankeees teams of today. We all know what happened with those very talented teams. Yeah for George putting his foot in where it doesn't belong again.

Also The Orioles will NOT be competing for third with the Jays but rather trying to not slip behind a very improved D-Rays Team. The Orioles have NO pitching and like somebody said already it ALL boils down to pitching.
 

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
A-Rod will start @ 3rd but you watch by July he will be the fulltime shortstop. Jeter will either move to the outfield or 3rd. A-Rod is so much better defensively.
 

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by H2Whoa


He is a great player but with the money he makes A-Rod has to carry his team. Unfortunately he's not playing football where big indivdual performances often translate into victory. His salary is a curse. Anything short of him single handedly winning almost ever game makes him instantly overrated. Any team he plays for has to win big or his individual stats mean nothing except in his and his agent's eyes.

If anyone is entitled to that much money it's a pitcher not a 3rd baseman. I would rather pay for strikeouts than throws to first.

... I think that this is the one team that he doesn't have to carry.
He's surrounded by all-stars. He'll feel relief leaving the Rangers.
Speaking of the Rangers, The NY Rangers still suck even with Jagr. Haha!

GO LEAFS GO!!!
GO LEAFS GO!!!
 

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by H2Whoa

If anyone is entitled to that much money it's a pitcher not a 3rd baseman. I would rather pay for strikeouts than throws to first.

Believe me they are not paying him to throw to first but to hit the ball like nobody else does save Bonds.
 

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Believe me they are not paying him to throw to first but to hit the ball like nobody else does save Bonds.
True but he spends more time standing there waiting for balls to be hit to him than hitting once every 2.8 innings.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top