1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

a question of ethics or an error in my favour?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by dicksherwood, Aug 22, 2003.

1. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

I found out yesterday that my ISP (IGS) hasn't charged me my monthly fee of $44.95 ($39.95 for 1.5MB DSL and $5 for a static IP) since January. Well I actually noticed in March that I hadn't paid for a couple of months but made the decision not to say anything about it and see what happens. Since then I've moved so changed the phone# the service was on (which IGS did promptly but never said anything about not having billed me) and have not had a single complaint about my service. Every so often for some reason I get an 8MB connection, once I had it for 2 weeks, they're never down...basically I've been nothing but pleased.

Well finally on Wednesday they did a big audit as they bumped all 1.5MB customers to 1.7MB free of charge and discovered I hadn't been paying. Of course I feigned surprise when they called me to say this was the case and they gave me two options. One was to pay the amount I owe up to August in a lump sum, or I could pay for the full year up to December and they'd give me a free month. Not a bad offer. But considering my financial situation is a little tight and I'd have trouble coming up with either sum right away I'm wondering what the legalities of just cancelling the service and signing up with someone else. I'd hate to leave IGS but economics dictate...

Obviously the ethical issues are what they are, I'd be riping off a small but growing company who obviously cares about their customers. But at the same time it is their fault that they weren't billing me and it shouldn't be my responsibility as the customer to let them know...or should it?

Opinions?

2. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Suck it up and pay for service you USED.

3. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

If you owe it, you owe it. Regardless if they had not been billing you.

If you signed any kind of contract, they could always refer to that if you tried to take them to court.

I've heard that excuse many times in the student loan business.

"Oh. I didn't know I wasn't paying my loan"

4. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

yah, you owe them whether you had been billed or not.

do whatever option would make you sleep better a night

5. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Q. Did you or did you not receive service from them?

Q. Would they provide this service free of charge or only if they knew you'd pay for it?

6. dicksherwood

Yeah you guys are right, I guess I just needed to hear it from other people that despite the pain of forking out a nice chunk of change I did use the service and it's not something they would have provided for free in any respect.

fak. A good lesson, next time if I notice I'm not being billed for something I'm going to point it out right away. I ALWAYS have to learn the hard way.

grrrr.

7. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

my rent wasn't taken out of my account this month, and i haven't told anyone.

now i'm just waiting for a bolt of lightning to strike me dead or something....

8. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

My landlord was a lazy bastard and would often forget to come by. I was late one month in paying, but he didn't stop by untill 2 months later. So myself and my roomates all paid him the 2 months we owed but he forgot about the late payment I had missed and got a free months rent :)

9. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

I wouldn't pay for the service. It is their problem, fuck 'em. SOmeone will get fired, Fuck them to.

Take the free service.

10. stanimal

stanimal TRIBE Member

Yeah fuck them, and fuck your credit rating while you're at it.

11. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

what are you, american?! ;)

12. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

It's their responsibility to bill you for service. Use is irrelevant. Normally they would bill you whether you used it or not as long as you were signed up.

Turn it around. If they said you didn't pay and you really did they would ask you for proof of payment.

13. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Actually, I just asked my buddy who works at Sympatico, and he says that according to the law, ISP's can go back for up to 12 months. So technically, they could legally not bill you from January to December, and at the end of December ask you to pay for the whole year.

It works the other way around, too... say an ISP has been charging your credit card for 3 years even though you cancelled your account, but you never noticed they charged you, you could only legally get 12 months back from them.

14. Silvershadow

Well, what would happen is that your account would get forwarded to collections, and you can kiss your credit rating goodbye.

IF you had cancelled your account BEFORE they back-billed you, they wouldn't be able to do anything.

However, since they DID notice and contacted you, you're pretty much screwed... you're gonna have to fork over the cash one way or the other.

15. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Exactly. I never said he shouldn't pay.

16. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

Don't forget that if you don't pay them they can report you to the credit bureau which in turn will screw you over ten fold later.

Try working out a deal with them to add a small amount more to each month for the rest of the year.

jeremy -be fair- jive

17. Silvershadow

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I realized that after I had already replied. :)

18. Silvershadow

I think it's not so much that they "can", but rather that "they will" report you. They don't know you, they won't have any qualms about ruining your credit.

They ARE human though, and yes, I agree with Jeremy, you should try to see if you can work out some sort of payment plan with them.

19. dicksherwood

excellent advice people thanks very much, if I'd handled it the way I originally considering (meaning making a run for the border as they say) I would have ended up ruining my very recently repaired credit rating....that would be a no good!

20. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

lol.... that's everyone's excuse!
    speaking of student loans, I collected almost $30,000 today!
    I'm a couple of grand away from breaking my dept's montly record!
    booya!

21. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

Quite obviously, you should bill them one million dollars for something or other, and go break some legs too while you are at it.

Actually, break some legs first, then bill them for that.