• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

a question for the smokers

kuba

TRIBE Member
question:

at your work, how often do you go for smoke breaks?

do people who don't smoke get in shit when they go out for non-smoke breaks - but ones that equal in length of time?

i've often wondered how this sort of office politics works. (or, doesn't). I've never worked in an office where some people smoke, and some don't, but I would assume there are massive fights over this type of shit.

true? false?

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
McKinsey did a really interesting study on the impact of smoking on corporate workplace productivity. Long story short, smokers were significantly less productive than non-smokers.

The study did not hold true in places like the military, or blue collar professions... but in corporate-land... smoking was identified as a big no no.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
I've never worked in an office where some people smoke, and some don't, but I would assume there are massive fights over this type of shit.
The battle is over and the non-smokers lost. smokers take way more breaks than non-smokers without being frowned upon.

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
This hase apparently become an issue in our office. There are several smokers who are downstairs doing the deed several times a day. Their Manager has been told by the Executives to reel this behaviour in. Not really sure what that will entail.

In a corporate office, with competitive nature like mine, those who are smoking are perceived to be slackers, all other things considered equal. I shouldn't complain b/c I may not be a smoker, but I will take the odd 5 minutes here and there to be on the Internet i.e. this post.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dyad

TRIBE Member
Im a smoker but dont smoke at work (dont even bring my pack to work) because i find i smoke less in the evening if i dont start till after 6.

I find however, since smoking is so prevalent in my industry that I miss out on a lot of connecting/networking/bonding with co-workers which may or may not hurt my chances at opportunities in the future. Its one thing to be a non smoker and not smoke with the crew, to be a smoker appears snobbish even though there is good reasoning behind it.

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
I sneak out for one or two ciggy's a day. But I usually only smoke half and am gone for no more then 5-10 minutes. However, I also rarely take a full lunch so I more then compensate for the time.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
There aren't politics about it at my work. All of us assistants smoke or go for the same break and if one chooses not to, that's their choice. One of the lawyer's here smokes. And either way everyone is pretty free to come and go as they please for 15 minutes or what have you, outside of "lunch hour".

Boo

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
The battle is over and the non-smokers lost. smokers take way more breaks than non-smokers without being frowned upon.
non smokers most definately didn't lose. Its definately not PC now to smoke at all, never mind take time off to smoke in the Canadian workaholic culture.

I used to smoke a few years ago, but I quit and hence don't need smoke breaks. Its great not feeling guilty coming back to your desk smelling like smoke and have everyone look at you with the silence of disgust.

Or not being able to concentrate on a task cause you are dying for a smoke, but knowing that its frowned upon to take another one. I was even bitched at by one boss about taking a regular smoke break, but I think everyone should be allowed to take a break during the day. Lunch doesn't cut it.

I don't take breaks myself per se, but I drink water like a fish, and as a result am constantly getting up for a refill and to empty the bladder.

acheron

TRIBE Member
My office is pretty close to making the final move to forbid smokers from doing so on company property, and given that we work in an industrial park it's a fair trip to the kerb... should be interesting when it gets implemented. The co. built them a bus shelter in the parking lot well away from the building but smokers continue to do so near the staff entrance- they are going to start disciplining people who do so.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
The two other people who work in my office smoke at their desks.

Fortunately I sit right in front of a big window that opens, and they are in seperate rooms. I still smell it though, and it's starting to bother me.

We're renovating and expanding the office, at which point I'll be moving even further from them and around the corner, again with a window. If it's still bothersome, I'll raise the smoking issue again. My boss has aknowledged that they should cut down or quit (yeah, no shit, genius) but it's the annoying co-worker who says she doesn't smoke that much but is constantly huffing on a smoke throughout the day. She'll be the most resistant to cutting down/stopping smoking in the office. I know it's law here that you're not allowed to, I just haven't brought myself to report them yet since I was told ahead of time when I moved from the Toronto office that they smoked. It was sort of contingent on me getting the transfer.

Kuba, to answer your questoin: Yes, non-smokers usually get the shaft except for brief periods when managers have a smoke-break crackdown and everyone behaves for a couple weeks. Then all is forgotten and the slackers go back to doing their thing, leaving the non-smokers working through lunches. At least that's how it was in my office for the last 3 years

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:

this is true, however, who wants to jump in the elevator and stand downstairs for 7 minutes? that's not a good break.

I work at a desk, I hardly need a break physically, and if I want to get up and walk somewhere, nobody is going to ask where I'm going....even if it is downstairs for 7 minutes....thing is I usually don't want to bother with that.

if I need a second, I hit tribe, and do what i'm doing now......

I'm not really sure why people get antsy about breaks away from the desk....especially in the winter....keep you smoke break.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
at my office all the non-smokers bitch about the smokers behind their backs.. especialy when they ask for assistance finishing jobs (like a last minute factum or something) if they ddint' go out every hour for 15 minutes they'd get the work done...

When I smoked I only went out on my lunch and break and maybe one in the afternoon

swenard

TRIBE Member
I used to work in a big corporate office and some people would try to raise a stink over it. But luckily all of management smoked and didn't want to make up any rules. Instead they built a smoking room closer to the office, so people wouldn't have to waste as much time to smoke. The company actually told the non-smokers "You didn't like it when people smoked in the office;fine, I understand but now you don't like smokers going outside? WTF!?!? Instead of being jealous of others and worrying about what everyone else is doing. Worry about yourself."

I have never had to worry about it. I am in sales and can come and go as I please. Although I don't smoke anymore but I do like to go outside with the smokers and take a short break once inawhile. I find I am more productive when I take small breaks every hour as opposed to browsing the internet, which usually turns into a half hour break.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
The same people who bitch are usually the same people who clock in at exactly 9am and clock out at exactly 5pm.

I go for smokes alot some days, somedays only once. Then again, I work 10-12hr days, 5-7 days a week and eat lunch at my desk everyday so people who complain can suck a nut.

Also I don't know how many times I've come up with workarounds or solutions to problems while having a smoke... or taking a dump.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
my building has now made the perimiter of the building smoke free.. I think this is law now though? (starting today)

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think the only people nowadays that take more than one or two smoke breaks a day, are the older "lifer" smokers who smoke upwards of a pack a day.

Sounds like all the smokers in here only smoke on their regular breaks. I have one when I go for lunch, and if I need to run errands for the office, I'll have one then.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
you think smokers are slackers, you should work in a union.... it would blow your mind.

way to generalize.. not everyone in a union is a lazy slacker like you make out.. maybe your work is one way, but come do my job for a day.. some of us acatully do work.