• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A question for the campers (regarding Algonquin)

xopus

TRIBE Member
I've got a question for any Tribe campers out there.
I'm thinking of putting an Algonquin trip together over the summer, with the intention of hitting Eustache Lake to climb the cliffs the lake is lined with. However, it looks like the only options for getting to the lake are to either go down the petawawa from white partridge creek or down the petawawa from radiant lake. both of these look like 5+ day treks, with some very advanced sections.
However, Eustache is just east of Lake Travers, and accessible through 3 portages, however its going against the Petawawa, which seems like it would be pretty much impossible. I've read of people taking day hikes into Eustache from Lake Travers.
Does anyone know if its possible to portage into Eustache from Lake Travers, bypassing the Petawawa? It'd be awesome to be able to get in that way, and then get out by paddling down the Petawawa.

Any information would be hugely appreciated.

gasper

TRIBE Member
The Pet is a pretty awesome whitewater canoe route when water levels are high. Done it a few times.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xopus

TRIBE Member
You can portage from Travers to Eustache; it's about 5km total.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~crpalmer/algonquin/alg2.pdf
thats the same map i was looking at.
the question i have is about connecting the 3 portages. It doesn't look to be much distance between them, but it would be going against the current.

and yeah...5km is long. i think if we were to do this route, it would be a day in, at least 3 days on Eustache and a day out.

Maui

TRIBE Member
a 5km portage is a long one
But it is things like this that are necessary if you are looking for that "Into the Wild" camping vibe.

Mind you I wouldn't be going to Algonquin for that in the first place...

derek

TRIBE Member
5km may be long, but there's a 3km portage in killarney that goes up.

and book early for algonguin. it gets rammed in the summer. killarney's not much better anymore.

early may and late sept are the best times.

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
thats the same map i was looking at.
the question i have is about connecting the 3 portages. It doesn't look to be much distance between them, but it would be going against the current.

and yeah...5km is long. i think if we were to do this route, it would be a day in, at least 3 days on Eustache and a day out.
the entry/exits from the portages dump you out into small & navigable bodies of water; the portages themselves are where you're bypassing the rapids flowing against your direction of travel.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Back on topic, have you called the Ontario parks "Algonquin interior" reservations line and asked them? If you're talking to them, you don't get the call center yahoos that run the rest of the system, you get actual people that know their shit and could give you reliable information.

dig this

TRIBE Member
Looks like there's a road that goes to Lake Travers (Access point 23)... From there you'd have to portage. If you want, I can try and find an outfitter that would drive you in & pick you up. We used him a few times, he's just at the end of the Pet.

If you want cliffs, the Baron River has some stunning views. (Parallel of the Pet, and just South.) It's way more accessible, however can be rather busy.

swilly

TRIBE Member
When I was small the elders in my community would always wonder why rich white people who had big houses and a lot of money would want to go live in small houses in the bush and use boats with no motors.

I still don't get it.