1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

A new north building for the St. Lawrence market

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by erika, May 8, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

People on here like to give opinions (just a little ;) ); here's an opportunity:

The city has held a design competition for the north building, and is taking input for the next few days.

The link to the submissions is here City of Toronto: St. Lawrence Market North Building Design Competition

The Globe and Mail write-up is here What’s in store for St. Lawrence Market - The Globe and Mail

I'm not crazy about court services upstairs as a tenant, but as long as they only operated when the market isn't, it could be workable and a source of revenue.

I really don't like 3 levels of underground parking - c'mon, it's right downtown! One yes, for the people who are working there and people with access issues, but outside of that? hmph.

I do like the idea of space for performance and art - that's never a bad idea, is it?

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Argh - unsurprisingly, links to the submissions are frustrating - you can't click through each presentation shot, you have to open each one individually or download a pdf.

Having said that, I've eliminated the green one right away - any submission that proposes a lot of glass on a roof, after the ROM fiasco, isn't too smart.

3. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

I'm going with the green design. The design is conservative to a degree - which is what I've always appreciated in building architecture. It looks like it has lasting appeal over the years - where as the other models I'm a bit worried of. They seem too progressive to a point where they just might be a shame in Toronto in the next 10-20 years. Then again, I don't know shit about design. I just know what I likes :)

I'm loving the floor plans - shit loads of space.

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

You just said that to bug me didn't you? :)
    I don't disagree with interior, but I can just see that at execution time it's going to be "oh, well yeah, we hadn't really considered snow weight and ice and stuff and the costs and blablabla" then we wind up with some really ugly hybrid roof thing.

5. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

True. But you never know what the final design will be. I'm sure a committee will amend certain things to the concept. But overall, I really like the idea - it looks slick and gives a nice juxtaposition to the old yet nice looking south building.

6. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

...Eatons Centre? I think the problem with the ROM might have been all that Architecture that had to be paid for in addition to a fully glazed exterior in its original proposal. I imagine where the glass arcs could be designed to catch sliding snow/ice at their bases, it doesn't look like there'd be a situation of ice crashing down on passersby. Moreover, it echoes the shape of the original St. Lawrence Market.

Yellow looks bland, and the Opera House already features a staircase behind a glass curtain; this would be redundant and a wasted opportunity. I don't think blue works at all.

Red's got potential tho. I like how it's interior treatment makes a feature of the dome to the north. Red is my early favourite.

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Still not sold on Green.
    Agree with Dialog on Yellow
    I'm still not discounting Blue because of the copper on the roofing and how that would evolve.
    Red has potential.
    Orange looks a bit mall-ish..

Ok, back to spring cleaning :)

8. le bricoleur

le bricoleur TRIBE Member

I have a huge problem with this renovation proposal, period.

By the time the City gets their act together to demolish the old building and construct the new building, all of the farmers and antique dealers will have moved on to a new venue. It takes the City fooooooooooooooorever to building anything.

I work for the City and I've been waiting to move into my new office fooooooooooooooorever. It was supposed to be a quick job but it keeps dragging on because of tenders, contract bids, budget approvals, red tape, red tape, red tape, red tape. I'll probably have a new job before I ever move into my new office.

9. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

The Market owns the small square parking lot south of the original building, north of the new condo development. When this was first announced maybe a year ago, it was said that a semi-permanent (ie durable enough to heat to a usable temperature in winter) covered structure would be built in the parking lot to sustain the weekly market in some manor while the construction is underway.

Not ideal, but there's a lot of redundant sellers presently, and with that big Market Wharf condo south of the market, I think there will be a healthy demand for space once the renovations are complete, whenever that is.

10. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

URG!!!!

As person raised and still living on the esplanade why, WHY can't they build something that fits in with the neighborhood why does everything have to have to be "new age".

The St Lawrence market has such history as does the north corner, before the building that stands now. Why, why can't they come up with some a little new and a little old.
    The building is going to be smack dab between two of Toronto/Hogtown/Yorks finest building from it early incarnation build of that history.

Erika, as one who's first job was at the market ad lives down here now, the floors of underground parking are very much needed. The Market has lost business over the years do to buildings going up in the area do to over priced and very little parking.

I am all for something new at the north corner, just please please try to continuity with the neighborhood.

Looking again at the green I can see some contiuity with the south market and the old north market.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    Fair enough regarding parking. And if it's underground I don't really care. So, are you saying Green is your pick?

And le bricoleur: I guess it depends on whether the City is responsible for doing that or whether they farm (no pun intended) the whole thing out, including demolition. The current plan does apparently call for that south parking lot to be used as Dialog suggested (so there, Zorro, go some of your parking spots, for now...).

12. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Put me down for the one with the copper. I'm a sucker for copper.

13. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

My whole neighbor hood use to be a parking lot, lol the condos along Jarvis/Front and the city home buildings on George was one BIG parking lot. In the winter they use to plow all the snow to the front street end. It made for fun, jumping in and forts and such. Of course the whole of esplanade going west of Jarvis was also parking. Not that I liked all that parking just when it was there the Market was at it BOOM in the 80's early 90's.

I'm actually for none of them but green gets a slight nod.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

the underground parking is essential due to all the parking lots in the area becoming condo buildings. Used to be a ton of lots around now almost nothing, there are so many people who come/used to come from around the city just to shop at the market.

15. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

I'm not particularly keen on any of the options, but if I have to choose, I vote green as well.

16. le bricoleur

le bricoleur TRIBE Member

They'll farm out the work, but those contractors will still be subject to the City's bureaucratic blunders. Example, my boss was checking out the construction site for our new offices. He noticed that the contractor was putting up drywall on an external wall before insulating it. He asked, "where's the insulation?" The contractor told him that there wasn't any in the site plans. Next thing we know, construction grinds to a halt. All the walls come down again. A tender has to be put out for insulation. Companies have to bid on the insulation tender. The winning bid has to be approved by the powers that be. Then the materials have to be ordered. Then installed. Then the dry wall goes back up again. Retarded.

17. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

The problem with the City and situations like this arise from the fact that if it was not tendered correctly, then you would have people screaming about unfairness as to who got the job. There's a reason things are super slow at the City. If you don't cross your T's and dot your i's, you get in trouble, therefore they take twice as long just to cover their ass.

18. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Red Building wins.

19. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

The winner is red!

20. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

The loser is all of us that live in the St Lawrence.

21. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

I don't think it's that bad. The pictures make it more grandiose than it will appear in real life. As long as the farmer's market stays, I'm happy. I dunno between this and the Sherbourne park project, I'm liking what's going on in the hood.

As long as they never build a condo at Sherbourne and Front, I'll be happy :)

22. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I kinda like that notion of 'covered street' between north and south buildings - ties it together better than it is now for sure.

23. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

I'm excited about Sherbourne Park as well.

HA, Sherbourne and Front is calling for a condo of some sort.

The holes are being dug for the second part of Market Wharf at the south end for the large apartment complex part. Interesting that they started with the apartment townhouse, drive your car up to you place 4 story section of the complex

24. octo

octo TRIBE Member

seriously. most new buildings seem cold and soulless.

25. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Haha I know... I keep a close eye on the Acura dealership. If they move, they're definitely building condos there which will destroy my beautiful view. The second I get any inkling of condos, I'm outta there.