• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A new hope for Star Wars fans

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1144963,00.html

Star Wars fans can start salivating now: the restored and remastered Episodes IV, V and VI are to be released on DVD for the first time this autumn.
Lucasfilm has announced the September 21 rollout in the US of a four-disc box set, comprising Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi as well as an extras disc of documentaries and unseen footage.

Star Wars purists might be disappointed to learn that the box set will feature not the original theatrical releases but director George Lucas's 1997 special editions of the films, complete with extra technological tweaking and added footage.

The announcement comes as a surprise, given that Lucas had originally planned to wait until Episode III was ready for DVD before releasing the originals. But Lucasfilm is now hoping that the DVD release will fuel anticipation for the release of Episode III, scheduled for May 25 2005.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

labRat

TRIBE Member
damn - and i thought this may be about lucas not screenwriting or directing or producing SW Ep III. Ah well, I guess I can replace my VHS version..

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
This edition should have both the original and updated. No doubt the original version will come out separate.

So shit has Lucas become that I don't even know if I want to own it again.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by silver1
They've all shunned SW because now Greedo shoots first :rolleyes:

worst edit ever

Han was a bad ass drug smuggler.
They shouldn't take that away from him.

The special edition of Jedi is the worst.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
They've all shunned SW because now Greedo shoots first :rolleyes:

by doing that, lucas turned han solo from the truly interesting "scoundrel" that he was (i.e. a guy that would shoot first, run from battle, etc.) - into a *boring* more-honourable hero.

there was a great disturbance in the force that day. *dabs eyes with tissue*

same goes for stephen spielberg who decided to remove the guns from the hands of the cops chasing e.t. and editing out elliot's "penis-breath" line.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
by doing that, lucas turned han solo from the truly interesting "scoundrel" that he was (i.e. a guy that would shoot first, run from battle, etc.) - into a *boring* more-honourable hero.

same goes for stephen spielberg who decided to remove the guns from the hands of the cops chasing e.t. and editing out elliot's "penis-breath" line.

They did that to E.T.?!!
Good god, what is wrong with people.

Are we so conservative now that we have to remove language that was accepatable 20 years ago?

Good grief Charlie Brown.

silver1

TRIBE Member

See that's where I take issue. This whole "Ooooh. Han was a big scoundrel and now he's not because of the edit"

Bullshit I say. The clean shaven, "laugh it up fuzzball" :rolleyes: line totin', always came to the rescue of the good guys..... Oooooh. He was such a down and dirty rough dude. Run for the hills Tony Montana becuase "scoundrel" Han Solo is on the loose!

Star Wars were afternoon popcorn kids movies that happened to be really good. All the characters were protrayed as the archetypal heroes, good guys on white horses, save the princess at the end of the day type people. With the exception of the original "Han shoots first" scene, His character was not really any different.

At the end of the day, when I was a kid I didn't see Han's character as some kind of "scoundrel". When I watched it again as a teen I didn't see him that way. And when I saw the updated versions my thoughts of him were no different.

If anything, based on all of his actions throughout the entire trilogy, him shooting first was the most out of place and changing said scene makes really no difference to me in the grand scheme of things.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Bullshit I say. The clean shaven, "laugh it up fuzzball" :rolleyes: line totin', always came to the rescue of the good guys..... Oooooh. He was such a down and dirty rough dude. Run for the hills Tony Montana becuase "scoundrel" Han Solo is on the loose!

Han was a smuggler.
He was also bad ass.
He wasn't a gun wielding crazy mob guy, he was more like a rogue.

It wasn't till the end of A New Hope that he shows that he is truly one of the good guys.

The idea that he would leave the rebels to die and take his money and run.

He was a mercenary up till that point.
Not a goody goody.

Did you miss those parts?

I'm not in this for your revolution and I'm not in it for you Princess, I expect to be well paid for my efforts.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
See that's where I take issue. This whole "Ooooh. Han was a big scoundrel and now he's not because of the edit"

Bullshit I say. The clean shaven, "laugh it up fuzzball" :rolleyes: line totin', always came to the rescue of the good guys.....

If anything, based on all of his actions throughout the entire trilogy, him shooting first was the most out of place and changing said scene makes really no difference to me in the grand scheme of things.

strong you are with the force. but you are not a jedi yet.

han *started out* as the scoundrel who would shoot first, hide from bad guys, fight only for money, etc.

it was not until he met luke, ben and leia that he started to believe in something better.

*cue theme music*

the scene at the end of episode 4 when he shows up at the death star even though he was going to run off and resume his scoundrel ways was that character's *turning point*.

it's not much of a turning point if he was an honourable guy from the beginning.

one of the main themes of episode 4 is the ability of GOOD to make other people good, as later contrasted with the dark side's ability to seduce others to the dark side.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
stormtrooper-group.gif

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Han is a character with a lot of duality, a good hearted man who is ruled by pragmatism for most of the first two movies. These two traits cause him to waffle with regards to his ethics.

He's in it for money throughout the first movie, but his good heart shines through in the end.

He is more or less back to his old self in the second movie, it begins with him preparing to take off because the bounty hunters that were after him have caused him once again to reconsider.

It is only after he is rescued from Jabba that Han becomes a fully reformed hero.

It was friendship that gave Han any heroic merit. He becomes a hero to save look in the first movie, and he takes it upon himself to deliver Leia to safety in the second movie.

Han shooting first was significant in that only the bad guys in Star Wars shoot first. It was definately in keeping with what he did in the rest of the movie and it's omission was a candy coated cop-out.

That here are no characters like Han in the new movies is one of the many reasons they suck Gamorean Pig Balls.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I wish people would get over Star Wars, and look at the movies objectively. They are total garbage, unless you are a 7-year old kid.

Honestly. And I am not trolling-- they really ARE shit, but, like MdDonald's, they are marketed to the segment of the poplulation that has no skills in discerning shit from not shit, and it changes something in kids' brains for the rest of their lives.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
Han was a smuggler.
He was also bad ass.
He wasn't a gun wielding crazy mob guy, he was more like a rogue.

It wasn't till the end of A New Hope that he shows that he is truly one of the good guys.

The idea that he would leave the rebels to die and take his money and run.

He was a mercenary up till that point.
Not a goody goody.

Did you miss those parts?

I'm not in this for your revolution and I'm not in it for you Princess, I expect to be well paid for my efforts.

I didn't miss any of that. And you're right. His character early on was basically portrayed as a non caring rogue who's in it for himself/the money. But Greedo shooting first doesn't change any of that.

Greedo had his gun already out. So this prompts Han to get his gun out under the table. Both were ready to shoot the other. How does "who gets the first shot off" change his apathetic rogue like character? He still planned on killing Greedo if need be. And in the end he still did.

It's not like Lucas changed it so that instead of Han killing Greedo, Han jumps over the table and puts on a sleeper hold.

Basically, the change makes it look like Han was slow and did nothing to change his overall "apathetic jerk-like character."

And at the end of the day, I always considered Obi-wan more badass for slicin' off dudes arm.

silver1

TRIBE Member

it's not much of a turning point if he was an honourable guy from the beginning.

The sequence of events in the Greedo confrontation go like this.

Old version

As Han is about to leave, Greedo, a slimy green-faced alien
with a short trunk-nose, pokes a gun in his side. The creature
speaks in a foreign tongue translated into English subtitles.

GREEDO: Going somewhere, Solo?

HAN: Yes, Greedo. As a matter of fact, I was just going to see your
boss. Tell Jabba that I've got his money.

Han sits down and the alien sits across from him holding
the gun on him.

GREEDO: It's too late. You should have paid him when you had the
chance. Jabba's put a price on your head, so large that every bounty
hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you
first.

HAN: Yeah, but this time I got the money.

GREEDO: If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.

HAN: I don't have it with me. Tell Jabba...

GREEDO: Jabba's through with you. He has no time for smugglers who
drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

HAN: Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?

Han Solo slowly reaches for his gun under the table.

GREEDO: You can tell that to Jabba. He may only take your ship.

HAN: Over my dead body.

GREEDO: That's the idea. I've been looking forward to killing you for
a long time.

HAN: Yes, I'll bet you have.

Han, already having shown him getting his gun out under the table preparing to kill his enemy, shoots Greedo before Greedo has a chance to get the shot off

--------------------------------------------------------------

New version

As Han is about to leave, Greedo, a slimy green-faced alien
with a short trunk-nose, pokes a gun in his side. The creature
speaks in a foreign tongue translated into English subtitles.

GREEDO: Going somewhere, Solo?

HAN: Yes, Greedo. As a matter of fact, I was just going to see your
boss. Tell Jabba that I've got his money.

Han sits down and the alien sits across from him holding
the gun on him.

GREEDO: It's too late. You should have paid him when you had the
chance. Jabba's put a price on your head, so large that every bounty
hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you
first.

HAN: Yeah, but this time I got the money.

GREEDO: If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.

HAN: I don't have it with me. Tell Jabba...

GREEDO: Jabba's through with you. He has no time for smugglers who
drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

HAN: Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?

Han Solo slowly reaches for his gun under the table.

GREEDO: You can tell that to Jabba. He may only take your ship.

HAN: Over my dead body.

GREEDO: That's the idea. I've been looking forward to killing you for
a long time.

HAN: Yes, I'll bet you have.

Han, already having shown him getting his gun out under the table preparing to kill his enemy, shoots Greedo just slightly after Greedo gets a shot off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that changed was that Greedo got a shot off a split second before Han did.

They still showed Han getting his gun out. They dialogue remained the same. Regardless of who shot first, Han was still acting in self defense both times because Greedo had his gun pulled first and the dialogue led to us knowing that Greedo was going to shoot Han.

Net geeks, get over it.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
I wish people would get over Star Wars, and look at the movies objectively. They are total garbage, unless you are a 7-year old kid.

Honestly. And I am not trolling-- they really ARE shit, but, like MdDonald's, they are marketed to the segment of the poplulation that has no skills in discerning shit from not shit, and it changes something in kids' brains for the rest of their lives.

Star Wars and Empire and solid movies that stand the test of time.

You have no soul and shouldn't comment on art or entertainment in the first place because you have no emotions to stir.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Han shooting first is still colder and IMO better.

Greedo shooting first is also lame because HE MISSED! How do you miss someone only two feet away from you. If Greedo missed then Han was never in real trouble and the scene loses meaning.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
No, I just have an objective stance. I loved the Star Wars films when I was a kid, but watching them as an adult was painful. Although it did point out how much I had grown up and matured in my thinking. It also pointed out to me how much imagination kids really have, in that they can fill in holes/crappy dialogue/shitty directing/bad art/horrible mise en scene/etc. with their imaginations, whereas as an adult, one becomes more demanding of a million dollar enterprise, needing it to provide more than a framework for your pathetic child mind to fill in.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
The stories were decent, the world imaginative, and the effects stellar. Claiming that you realised they were shit due to your higher intellect is elitist and the hole you usually hide in during a number of debates.

Anyways...