• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A new CPU?

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Hello geeks...I'd like to get a new CPU unit...I think I've had my old one for 4 years or so, and it's been a little sluggish lately...here are some of the specs on my current one...

HP Pavilion 7950
AMD Athlon processor
261 KB Ram

Thats what it says on my system properties in control panel.

I'm not to tech savvy when it comes to this ,I know the names of things, but not really how they work anyway...So, basically I'd like to keep my moniter, keyboard, mouse etc...and take my hardrive out of the CPU and copy all the files/programs I want onto a new unit.

What should I be looking for? I guess the newer units have like pentium 4 chips or somethign like that now? 1 or 2 gigs of RAM? Not too fussy over a DVD player or CD burner, but a CD burner would be nice. I also really like the speakers I have, so basically I think I just need a CPU with a 60-120 Gig harddrive. I run windows 2000 right now, with firefox...should I be looking for XP, or something else. Any suggestions, or suggested sites to research would be greatly appriciated.

Danka

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

labRat

TRIBE Member
have you tried installing some more memory into the current one?
at 256MB you don't have that much - and for about $80 you can get an additional 512MB... it'll make a noticeable difference and may buy you an additional year or two.

zoo

TRIBE Member
buy some ram, a bigger hard drive, a dvd burner (which by default includes cd burner), and re-format your computer, then install xp

unless you're doing some heavy computing you don't need any more than you have

the cause of your sluggishness is probably a fragmented hard drive, which is sort of like saying your harddrive hasn't "cleaned up it's house" for a long time, so it takes forever to find shit because it's not organized well

if you're running an athlon above 1ghz, (which you probably are), you won't see much (or any) improvement in terms of raw speed if you're just using the internet / office / music / movies, so there's no point in dropping the extra $300 for a new cpu/motherboard if you don't really need 'em

$50 will buy you tons of ram, $50 a dvd+/-rw, $100 for a 200 gig hard drive

then just install win xp fresh and you'll have a 'new' computer for $200

if you plan on serious gaming (think ps3/xbox360 style), then it's a different story.

randyval

TRIBE Member
If your looking for the best bang for the buck (gaming machine)
ATI x1800xl (flashed to xt) or 7800gt (both close to same price/performance
AMD 64 3800+x2 overclocks easly to 4800+ speeds (may need third party cooler)
Nforce 4 or ATi express motherboard with dual channel.(sli or crossfire ready depending.?)
2GB ram (matched pairs)
500w power supply
windows xp x64
200GB hard drive

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Not into the gaming online, so I don't need to upgrade for that...Zoo, I'm failry decent about doing the defrags, I think it's slower cause the HD is pretty much full. Thanks for the input so far, at least I have a bit of an idea of what to get...

randyval

TRIBE Member
Preroller said:
Not into the gaming online, so I don't need to upgrade for that...Zoo, I'm failry decent about doing the defrags, I think it's slower cause the HD is pretty much full. Thanks for the input so far, at least I have a bit of an idea of what to get...
randyval said:
if your looking for a reliable machine that will handle all of todays apps with ease and be usefull for a good while.
you will notice a huge difference from your old machine.

ATI x1600xt or 7600gt (7600gt is faster and cheaper)
you could even go with a nvidia 6600gt or ati x600pro (you can find them cheap now)(6600gt is also faster and more cap3able and cheaper)
AMD 64 3800+x2
Nforce 4 or ATi Xpress motherboard with dual channel)
2GB ram (matched pairs)
500w power supply
windows xp x64
200GB hard drive (x2 if you want raid)
ok fixed :p

randyval

TRIBE Member
just to add you dont really have to go with the amd x64 3800+x2, you could save a crap load and just get a single core x64 3200+ and OC it (most of these chips will easly do 500+mhz over spec on stock cooling)
and you can get them dirt cheap compared to the x2 series.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
randyval said:
If your looking for the best bang for the buck (gaming machine)
ATI x1800xl (flashed to xt) or 7800gt (both close to same price/performance
AMD 64 3800+x2 overclocks easly to 4800+ speeds (may need third party cooler)
Nforce 4 or ATi express motherboard with dual channel.(sli or crossfire ready depending.?)
2GB ram (matched pairs)
500w power supply
windows xp x64
200GB hard drive
I got something like this.
AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ 2.2ghz (is that each or total that seems low)
Asus A8n-SLI socket 939 nvida nforce
2gig Corsair Ram
GeForce 7600GT 256mb
200gig HD

but omg it doesnt work.
I put my windows cd in do the format partition thing it starts installing files then when it gets to the blue finializing windows 39mins left ect the whole PC shuts off.
Do I need to buy a diffrent windows version does this sound like my CD is not XP64?

randyval

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
I got something like this.
AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ 2.2ghz (is that each or total that seems low)
Asus A8n-SLI socket 939 nvida nforce
2gig Corsair Ram
GeForce 7600GT 256mb
200gig HD

but omg it doesnt work.
I put my windows cd in do the format partition thing it starts installing files then when it gets to the blue finializing windows 39mins left ect the whole PC shuts off.
Do I need to buy a diffrent windows version does this sound like my CD is not XP64?

im not sure
i have had the same problem before, but was always from something different.
try taking out all non essentiel cards and devices, pull all but one stick of ram, and try installing xp on a bare bones system, then add your cards and addon devices after.
thats all i can think of at the moment, i hope it helps :)