• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

A Game of Thrones: OMG!!! George RR Martin's fantasy set for HBO!!!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
sheik rock said:
Lol, seriously.

After reading the first five books in Jordan's series I just put the sixth one down about half way through and said "That's enough of that author", never read another one.
Yeah me too.
 

praktik

TRIBE Member
midway through the 6th??

Dudes... you guys missed out on one of the most satisfying endings to a book ever, once Rand paid those Aes Sedai bitches back... to my mind the 6th was the last of the good ones...
 

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
On closer Wikipedia inspection it was book 7 I stopped reading. But I had already been just skimming through the many stupid dress description chapters for a few books.
 

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
On closer inspection you'll find the traveling caravan parts is what was bringing the series down until Mat the bloody Ta'vern was written in.
 

Colm

TRIBE Member
In no small part to the op's reccomendation, I just picked up my first Martin book last week. When anyone makes a comparison to Tolkien, attention is paid. I'll have to work that statement into a catchy internet rule in the future.

So far, so good. I like the portrayal of fickle court politics, it reminds me of Galileo's lesson in losing friends and alienating papal supporters.
 

Colm

TRIBE Member
There's already been some nipple pinching, and I'm only through the first 50 pages.

So yea, I'm not reading these to my son at bedtime.
 

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
In no small part to the op's reccomendation, I just picked up my first Martin book last week. When anyone makes a comparison to Tolkien, attention is paid. I'll have to work that statement into a catchy internet rule in the future.

So far, so good. I like the portrayal of fickle court politics, it reminds me of Galileo's lesson in losing friends and alienating papal supporters.
I found the first book really slow in its pacing. There was just enough there to keep me interested. And just enough to make me want to read the second.

But then in the second everything clicks and the series gets really good.

So if the first one is boring you a little, just remember things pick up for the rest.

I think that slow subtle pacing of the first one is going to lend itself well to an HBO series. It's exactly what they are about.
 

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Ok...just to clarify, there are only 4 books out yes?

Feast Of Crows
Game Of Thrones
Sword Of Storms
Clash Of Kings

And Dance Of Dragons doesn't even have a release date does it?
 

praktik

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
So if the first one is boring you a little, just remember things pick up for the rest.

I think that slow subtle pacing of the first one is going to lend itself well to an HBO series. It's exactly what they are about.
To be honest I really liked the pacing of the first one. What I found toughest were the names - there were so many! And people had their house name AND their nicknames you had to remember ("The Mountain that Rides", "The Hound", etc)...

I decided in the first 100 pages if I was going to enjoy this book I would have to stop mentally mapping out all the names and just plough through and soon enough it all fell together..;)
 

praktik

TRIBE Member
Eclectic said:
And Dance Of Dragons doesn't even have a release date does it?
Spring/Summer 08...;) lol

latest blog postings have him still working on it. Should be done soon though...
 

Colm

TRIBE Member
praktik said:
To be honest I really liked the pacing of the first one. What I found toughest were the names - there were so many! And people had their house name AND their nicknames you had to remember ("The Mountain that Rides", "The Hound", etc)
I like the pacing too; it's a nod to the bibles of fantasy. Allow for the characters to establish themselves early, insuring that events do not dominate and define the characters.

I think it will make an excellent HBO series. My only concern is HBO's post-Sopranos/Six Feet Under obsession with making every series a major, monumental, unprecedented pop-cultural and commercial success.
 

Colm

TRIBE Member
possibledj said:
as well as another pretty wicked fantasy book called Sailing to Sarantium
Ugh. I thought Sailing to Sarantium was poop. If you like Guy Gavrial Kay, read the entire Fionavar Tapestry. It's good, different and Canadian. Sarantium just seemed to borrow too much from FT for my liking.
 

coleridge

TRIBE Member
In some other fantasy TV related news. I only just discovered that Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series has been turned into a serial TV show that started in November.

www.legendoftheseeker.com

The changes to the plot line look disappointing though....
 

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
In some other fantasy TV related news. I only just discovered that Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series has been turned into a serial TV show that started in November.

www.legendoftheseeker.com

The changes to the plot line look disappointing though....
I tried watching the first episode. Holy Shit, so gay. Like Xena warrior princess, except stupider. Also, horrible casting for the main character. Wasn't he a hairy nature guy with a beard? Instead we get a fruity male model with a waxed chest.
 

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Yeah, "Legend Of The Seeker" sucks donkey balls.

The actors for Richard and Zedd are horrible.

They've added a bunch of characters/plotlines to make it a better TV Show (1 hour "chapters") but it's not the same story at all.

I made it through 3 episodes hoping it would get better...but alas.
 

coleridge

TRIBE Member
sheik rock said:
Also, horrible casting for the main character. Wasn't he a hairy nature guy with a beard? Instead we get a fruity male model with a waxed chest.
Yeah my very thought when I saw the promo pictures.
 

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
The worst part is, every girl I know who likes fantasy would way rather watch manly bearded guy than a twink who won't put a shirt on. Who were they trying to appeal to?
 
Last edited:

Colm

TRIBE Member
Picked up a Storm of Swords and a Feast for Crows yesterday after a brief hiatus. I'm impressed that despite the long stretches between the writing and publishing each book, they read as if they were written all at once.

Not much new on the fate of the pilot/series though. Several of the shows HBO picked up are smaller projects, which conceivably leaves a lot of room for a show as necessarily massive as AGOT.
 

praktik

TRIBE Member
storm of swords - my fave of the series! One of the most satisfying character arcs in all fiction IMHO - but I won't say for whom or any more info on that..;)
 

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
In some other fantasy TV related news. I only just discovered that Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series has been turned into a serial TV show that started in November.

www.legendoftheseeker.com

The changes to the plot line look disappointing though....

Not going to defend this and it's the LAST series I would have thought to score a TV adaptation.

I can't stop watching. It's such a train wrek but Kahlan is sooooo hot.

Next week Mord Sith!

This show is just what my PVR needed.
 
Top