• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A Game of Thrones: OMG!!! George RR Martin's fantasy set for HBO!!!

octo

TRIBE Member
some friends burned season 1 on dvds for me. the quality was not very good. i've never downloaded a tv show. i've never gotten on the torrent bandwagon. i downloaded a torrent program once. then it mysteriously disappeared from my computer. i figured it was a sign that i shouldn't bother. maybe i'll try it again. what torrent program should i use?

maybe i'll just pay the $21/month till this season ends. then cancel.

i watched the first 4 episodes via online stream on my comp. i hate HATE watching tv on my computer. plus the quality is shit. i don't think i can handle watching another episode via crappy stream.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
We got TMN with a two month free preview with rogers. ordered it the day of the first episode. 2 months should cover most of the season

Zorro

TRIBE Member
K, just saw this post. So I guess you've downloaded the series. Why not just keep doing that?
That's what I do.

However. I have a HDMI output. Download the 1.23 GB version every Monday. Takes about 5-25 minutes to download. Plug into the HD TV. and watch. Never disappointed.

@NemIsis Except this week. Because my new girlfriend wore a not so revealing outfit that cover all her cleavage.

Stupid me. I get it's Fantasy. I get there is something out of this(their) world living north of the wall. I get that Dragons exist after walking into a fire you should die in. HOWEVER, was still blown away by the "magic" or sorcery at the end.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Is it just me or have they gone way off from the book on a few scenes? I'm guessing they didn't get the production budget they hoped for, as it seems a lot of battles have been glanced over and what I thought would be cool scenes, fully omitted?

It's just interesting that the first season followed the book on every accord and this one isn't quite doing so. I get that the second book is almost double the size, but I'm still surprised.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

silver1

TRIBE Member
Not really suprised. They do have a budget they have to stay within and I'm sure they don't have LotR-esque movie budgets. That being said...

[spoil]If they're pooling their money to make a proper depiction of the battle on the Blackwater for the end of the season then I'll be more than happy[/spoil]

praktik

TRIBE Member
--[Zirca]--;4535698 said:
Is it just me or have they gone way off from the book on a few scenes? I'm guessing they didn't get the production budget they hoped for, as it seems a lot of battles have been glanced over and what I thought would be cool scenes, fully omitted?

It's just interesting that the first season followed the book on every accord and this one isn't quite doing so. I get that the second book is almost double the size, but I'm still surprised.
Actually same happened in season 1 - battle scenes excised due to budget pressure...

I guess you aren't reading much on the series online? Basically most of this year's budget will be going to episode 8, which is apparently going to be an hour long battle pretty much!

praktik

TRIBE Member
[spoil]If they're pooling their money to make a proper depiction of the battle on the Blackwater for the end of the season then I'll be more than happy[/spoil]

[spoil]http://winteriscoming.net/2012/04/the-finances-of-game-of-thrones/

WSJ report:

'With the ambitious “Game of Thrones,” spiraling costs are a risk. The reported budget for season one was about $60 million; costs increased by roughly 15% for season two, says Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming.

Even with a 15% increase, there were some concessions required to make everything work.

“We came to [HBO] on bended knee to plead for more money,” says Mr. Benioff. The producers declined to discuss the scale and costs of the Blackwater sequence; inevitably it involved some concessions. Mr. Lombardo says a discussion around building nine ships ended with the decision to make one.

Despite that, the money that HBO did give David & Dan for that pivotal battle seemed to be more than enough for director Neil Marshall, judging by this quote in a recent Empire magazine article.

The Blackwater episode, as the director puts it, “is pretty much one long battle, on a much bigger scale than anything in Centurion. I couldn’t believe the scale of production value I had. It was as big, if not bigger, than most features I’ve done: 400 extras, costumes, horses, stunts, fires… We had a full-size galleon to play with and a green-screen set that was doubling as several other ships, and we were setting that on fire and throwing people overboard. Then there’s a Saving Private Ryan-like beach battle, with all these guys getting shot to pieces, an attack on a castle.” [/spoil]

silver1

TRIBE Member
[spoil]http://winteriscoming.net/2012/04/the-finances-of-game-of-thrones/

WSJ report:

'With the ambitious “Game of Thrones,” spiraling costs are a risk. The reported budget for season one was about $60 million; costs increased by roughly 15% for season two, says Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming.

Even with a 15% increase, there were some concessions required to make everything work.

“We came to [HBO] on bended knee to plead for more money,” says Mr. Benioff. The producers declined to discuss the scale and costs of the Blackwater sequence; inevitably it involved some concessions. Mr. Lombardo says a discussion around building nine ships ended with the decision to make one.

Despite that, the money that HBO did give David & Dan for that pivotal battle seemed to be more than enough for director Neil Marshall, judging by this quote in a recent Empire magazine article.

The Blackwater episode, as the director puts it, “is pretty much one long battle, on a much bigger scale than anything in Centurion. I couldn’t believe the scale of production value I had. It was as big, if not bigger, than most features I’ve done: 400 extras, costumes, horses, stunts, fires… We had a full-size galleon to play with and a green-screen set that was doubling as several other ships, and we were setting that on fire and throwing people overboard. Then there’s a Saving Private Ryan-like beach battle, with all these guys getting shot to pieces, an attack on a castle.” [/spoil]
[spoil]One thing they have working for them is the battle is at night so they can "hide" lots of stuff in the darkness and use CGI a bit better without it looking bad. I'm glad to hear they have a lot of "extras" at their disposal to use so the actual man-on-man battles should look nice and meaty.

I'm curious as to why they haven't introduced the Pyromancers yet. But I'm sure that's coming in the next episode or two[/spoil]

praktik

TRIBE Member
[spoil]One thing they have working for them is the battle is at night so they can "hide" lots of stuff in the darkness and use CGI a bit better without it looking bad. I'm glad to hear they have a lot of "extras" at their disposal to use so the actual man-on-man battles should look nice and meaty.

I'm curious as to why they haven't introduced the Pyromancers yet. But I'm sure that's coming in the next episode or two[/spoil]
[spoil]ya and Tyrion better start on that chain soon if he wants to be ready for the battle! ;) [/spoil]

silver1

TRIBE Member
[spoil]ya and Tyrion better start on that chain soon if he wants to be ready for the battle! ;) [/spoil]
[spoil]Unrelated, but not enough Bron & the wildling thugs for my liking this season. They were comedy gold in book 2. I guess they gotta chop somewhere :( [/spoil]

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
some friends burned season 1 on dvds for me. the quality was not very good. i've never downloaded a tv show. i've never gotten on the torrent bandwagon. i downloaded a torrent program once. then it mysteriously disappeared from my computer. i figured it was a sign that i shouldn't bother. maybe i'll try it again. what torrent program should i use?

i watched the first 4 episodes via online stream on my comp. i hate HATE watching tv on my computer. plus the quality is shit. i don't think i can handle watching another episode via crappy stream.

Build a Media center, or convert your PC /Laptop into one.

Streaming quality is shit, for the most part. Ever since we purchased a $400 media center pc - we've watched next to no cable TV. Everything is streamed, and downloaded.

in 2 months when my rogers tv contract is over, ill be reducing my bill by $50

lobo

TRIBE Member
--[Zirca]--;4535698 said:
As has already been posted, Season 1 did actually leave out some stuff. The key one was the battle that Tyrion was supposed to be in after his father ordered him to lead the wildlings. In the book he played a good role in it and actually managed to do a bit of damage. You could almost say he was a bit of a badass on a horse. The tv show had him knocked out cold before he even got a chance to mount up and the battle happened without him. Disappointing? Yes. But not surprised if they had a certain budget to work with.

Lobo

Variant

TRIBE Member
The scene at the beginning of ep 4 with the direwolf was pretty weak. It seemed like plan C.

I thought the intro of Roose Bolton would be a bit more grand.. did anyone even notice him? He talks deep.. i'll give him that.

The baratheon and tyrion scenes rocked.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member

I hate watching shows on my comp as well. Can you not plug your comp into your tv? I didn't realize i could do this until a year ago (Not a tech geek at all).
I have a large rear-projection so when I close the lights and set it up, it's like being in a mini theatre :) Check if you have HDMI

I download eztv or ettv torrents ( for tv shows) with Bittorrent. Easy peazy :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders