1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

A Game of Thrones: OMG!!! George RR Martin's fantasy set for HBO!!!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Feck.

That sucks.

2. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

That's what libraries are for, I guess.

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Actually, the first one was written in something like 1992, and went through a bunch of revisions since I think it was originally conceived as a script of sorts...

BUT

Do read the next two. The narrative is stronger.

One thing I will say, people's eyes seem to "glitter" a lot in his books..:)

4. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

i've read tonnes of fantasy but have actually yet to read this.

looks like a good incentive to start.

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

News from HBO
    Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:05pm

I have some exciting news to share.

(But please, guys and gals, don't get TOO excited. This is what it is, and so far that's all it is, so don't make any assumptions).

HBO has just exercised its option, and purchased the television rights to A GAME OF THRONES.

For those of you who don't know Hollywood, an option gives a production company the right to buy a property (a book, a screenplay, whatever) at a certain agreed-upon price for a certain period of time (a year, six months, whatever). When that time runs out, they can let the option lapse, renew the option, or exercise the option and buy the property. The last is what HBO has just done.

What they have NOT done is greenlight the project. A GAME OF THRONES remains in development. They're still budgeting, still looking at locations (Spain and the Czech Republic at present, I hear). No decision has been reached, so any celebration would be premature. In Hollywood it is always best not to assume something is going to happen until it actually happens.

Even so... this is a very encouraging sign, and one that suggests a continued high level of enthusiasm and commitment for A GAME OF THRONES at HBO.

So keep your fingers crossed.

link

6. derek

derek TRIBE Member

that will have to be one serious budget.

7. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yeah seeing that HBO couldn't make Deadwood work because of the period set and costume requirements as well as the huge number of extras, I don't see how they're going to make this series work.

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

You think thats HBO's fault dude?

I think that show was brilliant - only problem is it came from one dude's mind and he's a bit of a "special case"....

Despite its problems and the lack of an ending I think they did pretty damn well... its just the creator is a bit of a high-maintenance, up-in-the-clouds kind of guy....

I still put it in my top 5 series of all time.

9. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Huh? Deadwood was an amazing show, I never implied it wasn't.

HBO cancelled it for the reasons I said. They ultimately made the decision. So yes it is their fault.

Hopefully HBO can make this fantasy series work.

10. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

ryan agree with coleridge cocksucker.

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I was under the impression it was because the dude behind it got all obsessed with his surfer show and pretty much abandoned it.... not that it was a top-down decision from HBO...

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

How did Rome do ratings-wise - pretty well didnt it?

That was also a co-production w/ the BBC, which this will be as well... though maybe the fact it was gonna be a two-season series from the start helped it out w/ the bigwigs...

In any case, w/ the BBC on board sharing costs it should help the spreadsheets balance out for the big boys and their stuffed shirts!

13. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

I still have to watch Deadwood...I hear good things.

14. gollum

gollum TRIBE Member

15. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Boooya!!!!

16. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Nice.

I really hope they do a good job.

17. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Awesome news! :p

18. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I'd rather he focus on finishing the series before he ends up like Robert Jordan. RIP

19. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

This.

x2

20. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

two times.

21. possibledj

possibledj TRIBE Promoter

can't wait to see the casting!

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya, he's fat and old. BUT - i'd rather the series go unfinished than to have Martin take his down the path of sucking bull balls the way Jordan did. I'm willing to give Martin more time to do it right.

Kind of like waiting for a Blizzard game..:)

23. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

Very good geek-analogy.

24. gollum

gollum TRIBE Member

I personally think the fantasy gods smote him before he wrote another awful book.

25. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Lol, seriously.

After reading the first five books in Jordan's series I just put the sixth one down about half way through and said "That's enough of that author", never read another one.