• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

A Game of Thrones: OMG!!! George RR Martin's fantasy set for HBO!!!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Eclectic said:
And I completely agree with the Goodkind comments.

He's got some wikkidly heavy religious undertones as well.

Fall of Magic = Separation of Religion and State.
Pro Bush as well.

praktik

TRIBE Member
AgentSanchez said:
Oddly enough, I've noticed a slight trend in this direction with Martin too. Let's hope his own story doesn't get too complex for him to handle, because the first few were some of the most amazing reads I've ever had when it comes to fiction.
Book 3 is the masterpiece of the series in my opinion. Book 4 was good, but as a huge manuscript chopped in half due to size constraints, it was bound to lose some of the stuff that made the previous books so "tight". Still, the style was still there, the character development was still there and THINGS HAPPENED... lol. For the meantime, I'm chalking it up to two things: the "half-ness" and the fact that book 3 was such a high watermark - its tough to measure up after that goodness!

I think the next one should be good, but the two following that (if he doesn't have to chop them in half) should return to the "tightness" (tighter than a man's anus!) of the 1st three books..

gollum

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
Let me know when they do a Wheel of Time movie/series. kthxbye.
Comparing a Song of Ice and Fire to Wheel of Time is like comparing a Lord of the Rings to a Harlequin Romance.

Greatest fantasy series evah.

I hope he finishes it before he dies.

Last edited:

B.Effy

TRIBE Member
For anyone looking for something Martinesque to tide themselves over with, I read R. Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" series a couple months ago.

It really wasn't that bad at all - at least worth the time to read, if that's your thing. Tightly plotted. Much unexplained. And he's Canadian, y'all.

praktik

TRIBE Member
From Martin's "news" page, gives us a little more detail:

"HBO OPTIONS ICE & FIRE
January 18, 2007

Now it can be told. VARIETY broke the story yesterday morning, and it's all over the web. I have received hundreds of emails since the announcement went public, many of them asking, "Is it true?" Other readers have posted comments and congratulations in reply to my confirmation on my Live Journal.
Yes, it's true. Winter is coming to HBO.

Home Box Office has acquired an option on the television and film rights to my fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, in hopes of bringing the story to television as an original, ongoing HBO series. We have been working out the details for months, but the deal is finally done and the pieces are in place, so it's official.
I won't rehash the details of the announcement in VARIETY. Go HERE and you can read the story for yourself.
The executive producers and showrunners on the project will be David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Benioff and Weiss will also be writing the pilot script, and -- assuming that HBO eventually greenlights the series -- most of the episodes as well. This will be the first television project for them, but both have experience in novels as well as feature films. David Benioff is the author of the novel The 25th Hour and the collection When the Nines Roll Over: and Other Stories. His screenwriting credits include Troy, Stay, and The 25th Hour, and the forthcoming film versions of Wolverine and The Kite Runner. Dan Weiss has written the novel Lucky Wander Boy and the screen adaptations for the forthcoming films Halo, based on the videogame, and Pattern Recognition, from the William Gibson story. He and Benioff also worked together on the screenplay for Ender's Game, adapting the novel by Orson Scott Card.

I met David and Dan in California last fall, when I was out for LACon, and we discussed the show over a long lunch (the restaurant was packed when we arrived, and completely empty when we left, and the waiters had started setting up for dinner). They impressed the hell out of me, and I'm really looking forward to working with them. They're both bright, passionate, enthusiastic. They know the books inside and out, they get the books, and they're committed to bringing my story to your television screens... not a vaguely similar story with the same title (ala Earthsea, or what passed for same on the Sci-Fi Channel). A Song of Ice and Fire should be in very good hands.
As for my own involvement, I'll be scripting one episode per season. I'll also serve as co-executive producer on the show, along with Vince Gerardis and Ralph Vicinanza of Created By, and Guymon Casady of Management 360. I have already had a number of emails asking why I am not writing more of the scripts myself. Three big reasons: A Dance With Dragons, The Winds of Winter, A Dream of Spring. As much as I'd like to be a part of the show on a daily basis, as I once was on The Twilight Zone and Beauty and the Beast, the novels take priority. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are very talented writers, but even they can't adapt a book that hasn't been written.

I am thrilled to be in business with HBO as well. For years now, the very best drama on television has been found on Sunday nights, in HBO's original series. TV does not get much better than The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Carnivale, The Wire, Deadwood... and my current favorite addiction, Rome. (If you're not watching the second season right now, you're missing the best show on television). Writing, directing, acting, set design, production values... everything on an HBO show is quality, and that's what I have dreamed of for A Song of Ice and Fire.
It was only a month or two after A Game of Thrones was first published in 1996 that I received the first query about film and television rights. Nothing ever came of it. Over the years, as the series grew more popular with every subsequent book, I received a steady stream of such queries from producers, directors, screenwriters, studios, and others in the industry. Nothing ever came of them either. Meanwhile, my readers kept asking if A Song of Ice and Fire would ever be filmed. My answer was always the same. While I was always willing to listen to offers, I did not see how the books could be made into a feature film, or even a trilogy of such films, like Lord of the Rings. The novels were simply too big and too complex, and to make the sort of deep cuts that would be necessary to get them down to feature length would have required losing nine-tenths of the characters and three-quarters of the plot. The only way to dramatize a story that size, I felt, was as a television miniseries (like Roots or Shogun) or, better still, a series of series, with each novel providing a full season's worth of episodes.

That is precisely what HBO intends to do, starting with A Game of Thrones. With twelve hours to devote to each of the novels, rather than the two to three that a feature film would allow, we should be able to present a faithful dramatization of the story that will please both my own readers, and HBO subscribers who have never read a fantasy novel in their lives.
A television series does not spring up full blown overnight, of course. You won't be watching A Game of Thrones on HBO next week, or telling TIVO to record it next month. There's a long and winding road ahead of us, and many pitfalls along the way... but every journey begins with a first step, and who knows? Maybe next year time you'll be seeing Tyrion and Dany and Jon Snow in those HBO promo spots, mixing and mingling with Tony Soprano, Al Swearengen, and Titus Pullo. "

praktik

TRIBE Member
Setting the Record Straight: HBO and A Song of Ice and Fire

The Wertzone: SF in Print and on screen

It has come to my attention that highly misleading information from an unreliable source has filtered onto the Internet regarding HBO's planned television adaption of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, namely that the project has been scrapped. After consulting sources close to GRRM, I feel able to counter these claims.

The deal for HBO to option the television rights to A Song of Ice and Fire was ongoing in 2006 and concluded in January 2007, when GRRM announced the news on his website. Subsequent blog entries confirmed that the writing of the pilot script had commenced. Prior to the start of the Writer's Guild of America Strike in November 2007, writer-producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss had completed a pilot script which GRRM had signed off on. This script had been passed to HBO, who were considering it and running budget estimates for the series at the time that the strike began. As with all Hollywood television projects, work on the adaption was suspended until the strike concluded in mid-February 2008.

During the timeframe of the strike, it emerged that HBO was also considering making a large-budget television series based on the legend of King Arthur. Apparently, HBO was only interested in one or other of the two projects, not both. If the Arthur series was formally comissioned, then the adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire would not proceed and vice versa.

This remains the case at the present time. No final decision has been made but the tentative plan is for HBO to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire as a series of 13-episode television seasons (potentially seven seasons in length, one for each novel). Whilst the project would be high-budget, it would not be as expensive as HBO's previous major costume drama, Rome, and would probably be filmed in Eastern Europe or perhaps New Zealand due to the lowered production costs. It is an extremely ambitious project which frankly no other television station would probably even consider making.

The claim that the adaption was 'shelved' four weeks ago is actually technically correct, since the Writer's Strike was ongoing at that time and all television drama production and development in the USA was 'shelved' at that time. However, the inference that any kind of final decision has been taken to scrap the project is false. It is not industry practice to throw out options before they expire, and the option on A Song of Ice and Fire still has many months to run.

Any further developments - positive or negative - will appear on George RR Martin's website or his Not-a-Blog before anywhere else.

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
sucks to your asmar.
i detest a game of thrones and thats the only one i read (under duress).
its sooooo slow moving. but then again i have no patience for fantasy/historical realist novels.

praktik

TRIBE Member
to each their own..;) For me I don't think I've read a finer series...

But I got patience, I enjoyed the movie "Heaven's Gate"! hehe

derek

TRIBE Member
he does go into great detail explaining the genealogies, and his extremely descriptive telling the history behind the story.

his writing style isn't for everyone; if you can handle the flow, his works are anything but boring.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I love Martin. His work is tight and he keeps the energy going. Although, if you're not interested in historical/fantasy I can see it would be a difficult read.

Last month I finally finished Goodkind (Confessor). By the time I got to it, I wanted it to be over and I've given up on Terry Brooks altogether. I can't read him anymore. It's the same stuff ad nauseum.

I'm worried Jack Whyte is going that route as well. I enjoyed the Dream of Eagles series, but it now seems to be going off into tangents.

Long multi-book series may seem great but if the author can't keep the interest of the reader it becomes a huge disappointment. One of the reasons why I try to avoid them these days.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
SUNKIST said:
sucks to your asmar.
i detest a game of thrones and thats the only one i read (under duress).
its sooooo slow moving. but then again i have no patience for fantasy/historical realist novels.
While I'm sure I won't sway your opinion ... I agree Game of Thrones was a snoozer. The history lessons in genealogy and snail paced political intrigue was pretty boring. But there was just enough in that first book for me to pick up the second book, mostly because so many people love it I figured something had to happen. Things really do pick up in the next books. It gets a lot more exciting.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
While I'm sure I won't sway your opinion ... I agree Game of Thrones was a snoozer. The history lessons in genealogy and snail paced political intrigue was pretty boring. But there was just enough in that first book for me to pick up the second book, mostly because so many people love it I figured something had to happen. Things really do pick up in the next books. It gets a lot more exciting.
+1 in my experience too.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
I liked the 'history lessons in genealogy and snail-paced intrigue' but then I also like reading books that are just pure history :eek: . Agree though, the series does pick up the pace afterwards.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Im with you nemesis - I found the "'history lessons in genealogy" fascinating. It took me about 100 or so pages before I gave up trying to memorize all the names and just plough onwards, soon enough it all fit into place.

But was a little tough right at the first when I was trying to keep track of everyone's house, real name and nickname (ie, "The Mountain that Rides")

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
praktik said:
I was looking for something with the "edge" of martin to tide me over, def check out "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville... kind of steam-punk rather than fantasy, but has that "bloody mindedness" of Martin..:)

One of the most engrossing worlds I've read in fiction since Martin...
Perdido was wicked. I totally thought that it woudl make a great movie too.

Can't wait for this HBO series! Totally going to be better than the wheel of time would be (and I enjoyed wheel of time up until book 7. never made it through book 8, and it doesn't look like I ever will).

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I had totally forgotten about this. I feel like I spend half my life desperately looking forward to things. He is still trudging through the last book.

I am reading Stephen King's "On Writing", and he talks about how no book should take longer than 3 months to finish the first draft. I feel like posting George a copy.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
sheik rock said:
I had totally forgotten about this. I feel like I spend half my life desperately looking forward to things. He is still trudging through the last book.

I am reading Stephen King's "On Writing", and he talks about how no book should take longer than 3 months to finish the first draft. I feel like posting George a copy.
Robert Jordan's dying before he ever finished his series will hopefully send a wakeup call to all these fantasy writers to get their fat (most often) asses in gear.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya I totally thought with the last one and this next one originally being one book that got so big he had to split it up, that we'd get the next one real quick.

I think his wife had some serious health problems and it looks like there were some creative challenges (through reading his blog) and he's been real busy with diversions in other series (a collaboration, re-releases of old material) and even within a Song of Ice and Fire (a companion "lexicon" kind of thing, children's story "the ice dragon" and miniatures) and a busy convention/appearance schedule.

I think he did something to himself too (achilles tendon)?

With the HBO stuff mixed in there as well it looked like a perfect storm to stymie his plans to get the next one out quickly....

BUT

reading his blog he's surmounted the biggest creative challenge (a particularly troublesome Bran chapter), his schedule has been cleared and diversions dialed down and it looks like he should be finishing up in the summer and we'll get it in the fall.

Not so long from now!

gollum

TRIBE Member
sheik rock said:

Yeah but compare the quality of most of steven king's books to Martin's, I'm not surprised his first draft only takes him 3 months.

MArtin's problem is that he is writing like 4 books at a time.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
gollum said:
Yeah but compare the quality of most of steven king's books to Martin's, I'm not surprised his first draft only takes him 3 months.
Definitely. But he makes a good point about losing momentum and the characters getting stale. Every epic fantasy I have read peaks at the second or third book.