1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

A Game of Thrones: OMG!!! George RR Martin's fantasy set for HBO!!!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, Jan 18, 2007.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I think there's a lot of cool histories we rarely see. Most HBO nerds here know Deadwood was conceived as taking place in the periphery of the Roman empire, in cities away from the capital that filled up quickly and where police forces were established for the first time.

The issue with the other Rome themed show and budget reasons saw it move to the Wild West, and it was excellent. But haven't you thought about how cool the original setting might have been??

So I guess my reaction to the new Benioff and Weiss idea was, haven't we seen a lot if slavery ideas, and is this just the Man in the Hugh Castle idea respun?

I respect the writers honesty above, I will probably have less issues with the material than her and enjoy it, and I agree with her the creators will probably hit the notes they need.

But I like a fresh setting, and this is a much visited setting just mixed up timeline

Besides didn't we see the Wire?

2. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

Last night's episode of GoT was absolute perfection Epic awesome
    Go Dany!!!
    Go Anya!!!

3. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

that was fucking awesome. think they blew the budget on that ep!

4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Beyond epic.

5. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

Episode 7.04 (The Spoils of War) was pretty f&cking amazing, but it was so short!!! Only 50 minutes!

Arya's scenes at Winterfell were all that I'd hoped, although her reunion with Jon is the one we most anticipate. Great to see her show off her skills to family and Brienne. Sansa, who first laughed at the thought of Arya's kill list, now seems to realize that there is truth in that, although it's hard to tell if her reaction was admiration, jealousy or a mix of both, as she just walked away without a word after seeing Arya's display.

Bran's scenes this week were better than last week. His aloof thank and you and goodbye to his wildling protector was interesting. His scene with the scheming Littlefinger, when he dropped the "Chaos is a ladder" line (which I have since learned is one of Littlefinger's own lines, from Season 3) was great, as now Littlefinger knows that Bran may know everything. One of the Starks needs to kill Littlefinger for betraying Ned Stark.

The epic battle - Dany, Drogon and Dothraki vs. Lannisters - was great, although lopsided. It's unclear why Dany didn't bring all three dragons to this battle. As much as the episode seemed to foreshadow the death of a dragon, I was both relieved and frustrated that Bronn did not kill Drogon.

Did Dany/Drogon stop the gold from getting to King's Landing, or just the food? The Iron Bank dude kept saying "as soon as the gold arrives," which suggests the gold may not have arrived?

Will Jaime and Bronn - both currently sinking in the water next to Drogon - be Dany's prisoners in the next episode, or will they miraculously escape capture?

Only three more episodes this season!

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Didn't it sound like the gold had already been dispatched on priority prior to Napalm Death arriving?

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

It was mentioned early on that the gold had made it "through the gates" - the rest of the wagons were stacked high with grain and other foodstuffs, which, having now been destroyed, will be of no help to either side during the siege of King's Landing. The gold, being locked inside KL, will be of no benefit to Cersei if the Iron Bank can't retrieve it.

Dany wisely didn't bring all three dragons with her, and also wisely used the strongest and largest of them, Drogon, to make as big an impact as possible on Cersei's armies . Why put all your cards on the table at once? Additionally, even if Drogon succumbs to his injury, the other two will be needed to fight the army of the dead.

8. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Haha ya and then my skeptic/statistician side to me had to ruin it and be like - well - isn't it very likely that Varys would meet his end in Westeros vs other continents?

I an highly likely to die in Ontario, for instance.

;)

But ya was a great scene with a lot of forboding..:)

10. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Ya but you don't "have" to die in Ontario :)

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Still - nice psychic trick, make predictions that are very likely to be true - and then act like it was cause of your visions!

12. Klubmasta Will

Good argument, but if three dragons were part of that attack, the battle would have been over much faster and Bronn would not have gotten the chance to shoot Drogon (and almost kill Dany). If the Queen goes into battle personally, there should be no holding back!

13. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

Also she may not be able to control three dragons at once.

And I don't want to be called a dragon fucker or anything, but after that episode I think I'd fuck a dragon.

janiecakes likes this.
  14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

it could be that the dragons need riders... and the riders haven't been determined yet.

I still think the final battle with the white walkers will feature Dany, Jon and Tyrion all riding dragons as the heads of the three most powerful houses in the seven kingdoms, joining together to bring an end to the winter.

KickIT likes this.
  15. Klubmasta Will

defazman/acheron - Dany and all three dragons previously attacked the ships of the slave-owners in Mereen, in Episode 6.09, so she can clearly attack with all three dragons when she wants to do so.

16. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Another good episode. Not as much action but it set up a lot of things for the remainder of the series.

Biggest takeaway has to be Jon being the the rightful king of the Iron Throne, ahead of Dany.

17. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

That is one badass group of fighters that we saw at the end.

janiecakes likes this.
  18. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

lol. i miss your posts.

19. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

episode 6 is floating around...

(!!!!)

20. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

...i'm torn...

21. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Is it in English or Spanish though? I don't want to watch it if Jon Snow is talking en Espanol.

22. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

in english but it's a cam, Sq is not bad though

23. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

No interest in the leaks. So much to watch these days I can wait. And I actually have HBO/TMN.

24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Oh its a cam or shitty screener? Count me out.

Also have HBO, i get the feeling 720p broadcast might still be better than the 1080p rip i see floating around??

25. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

one I saw was 720p or so, no subtitles. I'll watch it again on Sunday no problem, I just had to know...