• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

a farmer's going to set himself on fire at queenspark

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Saffron
^^ He didn't want to kill himself but I bet he is kicking himself now because of the burns and the fact that he is likely on a Form in the hospital psych unit.

ummm, it kinda sounds like he could use some psych help.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
Originally posted by Fairie
I'm curious...would you have preferred that the cops let him drive away after soaking himself and the van in gasoline? They were trying to box him in so he couldn't go anywhere.

No Maui's the dude who wishes that other knife wielding nutcase was restrained with down pillows and pressed into them fiercely with nice round boobs to make him stop.

Maybe even cuddled a bit from behind while they're putting on the handcuffs.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Maui's just looking for an excuse to hate on cops because they took away all his weed. Seriously, I don't see how the cops could have acted differently. For all they knew this psycho had the van filled with explosives and ready to blow. Even if it wasn't filled with bombs, THE FUCKING GUY DOUSED HIMSELF WITH GASOLINE AND WAS WAVING LIGHTERS AROUND. They can't just let him go on his merry way. I think the cops and the fire department have done a damn good job in the past few days.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I also don't agree with Maui.

I don't see how the police could have acted differently. I'm sure they were trying to box him in to stop him from going anywhere, afterwards I'm sure some sort of negotiation would have happened. It's hard to negotiate with someone in a moving vehicle with the windows up. He wasn't shot, I didn't see any guns drawn either. They didn't beat him, etc.

I think it was pretty good.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fairie

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
No Maui's the dude who wishes that other knife wielding nutcase was restrained with down pillows and pressed into them fiercely with nice round boobs to make him stop.

Maybe even cuddled a bit from behind while they're putting on the handcuffs.

<3

I should have known. I remember him now from that other thread.

Maybe if we just love them enough they'll surrendor without hurting themselves or anyone else. Never mind the knives or the van doused in gasoline or whatever other weapon they might be using.

Originally posted by Stan
Even if it wasn't filled with bombs, THE FUCKING GUY DOUSED HIMSELF WITH GASOLINE AND WAS WAVING LIGHTERS AROUND. They can't just let him go on his merry way. \

You sure they couldn't just have patted him on the bum and said "Here you go nutty, have a free coupon for two Godiva truffles. Why don't you mosey on over to the Eaton's centre to pick some up." ???

Maui

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
Maui's just looking for an excuse to hate on cops because they took away all his weed. .

You think the cops are swift enough to outsmart me. I'm dying here

For all my illustrious years of cop hating, i really don't blame them anymore than I blame idiots in the army or any other walk of life for that matter. The world abounds with them. What i really blame is the system and the resulting training given to the police from that system in dealing with these situations. There are tactical units on other forces that would put the toronto police to shame.

You guys sound like the Americans getting behind their soldiers regardless of the poor performance they show in action. I don't blame ya the media is doing a fine job of hyping up the force with no alternative views.
Whats funny was city tv has the gall to exclaim that they don't report on suicides because of copycats yet they have exploited all these incidents. It is a well known fact that murder suicides beget more of the same if they are well publicized.

Maui

Stan

TRIBE Member
Yeah it's real easy to sit in that arm chair with your bong pipe and criticize the actions of the cops after the fact. Okay, tell me how you would deal with the situation? A guy's sitting in a rental van that smells of gasoline in a crowded area. His windows are wound up and the van may possibly be filled with explosives. He's doused himself with gas and is waving around a couple of lighters. How the fuck do you plan on negotiating with the guy if his windows are up?

Fairie

TRIBE Member
Maui -

I am still curious as to what you think they could have done differently. You seem to think that dealing with these types of situations is an easy process.

It's pretty much impossible to negotiate with a man who is in a van with the windows rolled up. According to witnesses, they did have a cop trying to talk to him, but the only time he would roll down the windows was to throw out envelopes and paper.

Again, they had to box him in to keep him from driving away in a van doused in gasoline and (for all they knew at the time) possibly containing explosives.

After watching the video a couple of times, it certainly seems to me they did the best they could in a very tense situation. It's easy to be critical from the sidelines after everything is over. Try being out there and having to make split second decisions.

Instead of just throwing insults at the cops etc., PLEASE enlighten all of us. What would YOU have done?

Stan

TRIBE Member
Hey man! Why don't you chill out and put down that gasoline can! Here, have a toke of this killer bud.

FOOOOOM!

Maui

TRIBE Member
Yes it is easy to sit there and criticize. The cops make it easy.

And btw Stan I don't smoke bud so lay off with the comments.

C'mon now do you honestly believe the guy had explosives in the van? When was the last time anybody blew something up?

The force should have a trained team to deal with these type of situations. That includes having a forensic psycholigist on hand.
In regards to talking to him, they could have used signs. They could have chilled out and let him calm down before ramming him. Where was he gonna go? They could have snuck up on him and taken him down quickly. I'm not saying I'm an expert at suicide negotiation. But there are people who are and should be used in these types of situations.

Maui

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
OK... I've heard he was saying that nobody would listen to him... he was allegedly throwing "pamphlets" out of the van... and he chose that location 'cause he knew there would already be a lot of media coverage for him on account of the farmers.

So... media "reporters"... if you can stop replaying the fire video over and over again for just a second... what exactly was it that he wanted to say? Haven't heard that yet.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude

According to a source, the messages demanded a meeting with acting Police Chief Mike Boyd and Premier Dalton McGuinty. The messages also contained claims he had been "tortured by police," a source said.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Maui

C'mon now do you honestly believe the guy had explosives in the van? When was the last time anybody blew something up?

what?

The force should have a trained team to deal with these type of situations. That includes having a forensic psycholigist on hand.

what?

In regards to talking to him, they could have used signs.

what?

They could have chilled out and let him calm down before ramming him. Where was he gonna go? They could have snuck up on him and taken him down quickly. I'm not saying I'm an expert at suicide negotiation. But there are people who are and should be used in these types of situations.

Maui

*head explodes*

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I also read elsewhere that there was something about his wife cheating, but I'm not going to stick with that for sure.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by afterglow

Bahahah i hadn't even seen that. Throw a little police brutality into the mix.

How fitting it was that "Falling Down" was on last night.
"I am not economically viable!" Love it.

Maui

acheron

TRIBE Member
In regards to talking to him, they could have used signs. They could have chilled out and let him calm down before ramming him. Where was he gonna go? They could have snuck up on him and taken him down quickly. I'm not saying I'm an expert at suicide negotiation. But there are people who are and should be used in these types of situations.

It's not always possible to get the negociation team onsite quickly enough - for instance the guy who tossed his daughter off the 401 and then killed himself - the team was enroute when it happened. They have no idea what he had in that van - I read that part of the cops' concern was that if this was in some way connected to the farmer's protest, there could have been some kind of fertilizer in the back of the van which could have gone off. and how do you sneak up on a guy who's in a vehicle that's moving?

Fairie

TRIBE Member
Yes it is easy to sit there and criticize. The cops make it easy.

Maui

From an article in the Star. Please keep in mind they are quoting one of the firefighters on the scene:

As the firefighters stood by and police tried to calm the distraught man in the white van, the men from fire stations 314 and 325 kept thinking of the same thing: Oklahoma City.

The van had pushed past a police cordon placed around the provincial Legislature for a protest by farmers. The firefighters couldn't see into the vehicle, but they could do the math: rented truck, anti-government rally, the smell of gasoline.

The answer: the 1995 attack on a U.S. government building with an 1,800-kilogram fuel-and-fertilizer bomb, carried in a rented truck, that killed 168 people.

"With the man in the van near the farmers' protest, the thing I thought about was, `What if he's an angry farmer and he's got fertilizer in there? We could have the Oklahoma City thing all over again,'" said Bryan Ratushniak, acting captain of Toronto fire station 314. "The adrenaline was going bang, bang, bang."

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
From an article in the Star. Please keep in mind they are quoting one of the firefighters on the scene:

As the firefighters stood by and police tried to calm the distraught man in the white van, the men from fire stations 314 and 325 kept thinking of the same thing: Oklahoma City.

The van had pushed past a police cordon placed around the provincial Legislature for a protest by farmers. The firefighters couldn't see into the vehicle, but they could do the math: rented truck, anti-government rally, the smell of gasoline.

The answer: the 1995 attack on a U.S. government building with an 1,800-kilogram fuel-and-fertilizer bomb, carried in a rented truck, that killed 168 people.

"With the man in the van near the farmers' protest, the thing I thought about was, `What if he's an angry farmer and he's got fertilizer in there? We could have the Oklahoma City thing all over again,'" said Bryan Ratushniak, acting captain of Toronto fire station 314. "The adrenaline was going bang, bang, bang."

lol. and ... wasn't tim mcveigh's brother some kind of farmer? i definitely see the connection

Maui

TRIBE Member
"The adrenaline was going bang, bang, bang."

And this is what decided the situation. Hence why any hostage negotiating situation has a phycologist making calls on the scene, most importantly for the good of the police themselves.

Again I laugh at the "bomb in the truck" theory. That is grasping.
But regardless isn't that even more reason to try to talk to him and calm him? What he has a huge bomb. K guys start ramming him and maybe he won't blow it up and set himself on fire!

Maui

tobywan

TRIBE Member

Again I laugh at the "bomb in the truck" theory. That is grasping.

Excuse me?!??! Um...we're not in 1905 anymore...there are plenty of examples everyday of people around the world doing extraordinary acts of violence...you just think that it can't/won't happen in your backyard?

Face it...the police handled that situation as best they could, given the actions of that man. Hey, they could've pulled a Team America and just started shooting away at him, but they didn't...same thing with the knife-weilding man on Yonge Street the other day.