• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

a farmer's going to set himself on fire at queenspark

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
AWESOME Rob.

thanks..

Originally posted by silver1
Rob, who was the effigy of? I can only see the yellow head from the back.

Not sure.. and I don't have shots of that angle. I snapped these shots in a hurry on my way to class.. but the general theme with the protest was the plight of the 'average' farmer, so I assume it was simply a makeshift doll that looked like a farmer.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
actually upon closer inspection.. I see it's a suit.. so it's probably a mockup of Dalton or whoever the minister of agriculture is.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Tearer

TRIBE Member
It's awesome to see all those tractors downtown...I like the juxtiposition of tractor/skyscraper.

I heard Andy Berry givin' it to the leader of the farmer protest this morning on Metro Morning, who had a hard time communicating his thoughts, but I think in general, there really is a disconnect between city peeps and folk from the hinterland - it's actually nice to be visually reminded there are interests besides our own to consider.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
a few more pics

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
The man in the van was Anh Ngoc Vuong, the Star has learned. It's not known what drove Vuong to set himself ablaze yesterday after a half-hour standoff. He was in serious condition at Sunnybrook hospital last night being treated for severe burns.

The Mississauga man rented the van yesterday morning from a Budget Rent A Car location near Pearson airport. At about 1 p.m., as a rally by Ontario farmers was getting underway at the Legislature, Vuong drove through a police line on Queen's Park Cres., just north of Wellesley St. W.

"I don't want to kill myself at all," Vuong yelled out the window as police vehicles moved in to block the van. "I don't want to harm nobody."

At times during the next half-hour, he would move the white van forward and back without hitting police cruisers that had penned him in, sometimes spinning his tires and forcing officers and a police translator to jump out of the way.

At one point he stopped and tossed a manila envelope to a nearby officer, who opened it and pulled out some papers.

According to a source, the messages demanded a meeting with acting Police Chief Mike Boyd and Premier Dalton McGuinty. The messages also contained claims he had been "tortured by police," a source said.

Vuong also waved sheets of cardboard with messages scrawled on them.

The scene was caught on live television as reporters at the protest swung their cameras around. Hundreds of farmers also turned and walked closer. Police moved in, keeping back the huge crowd as tensions grew.

"We're not sure what's in that truck," one officer said.

Among the farmers, who saw their protest become a backdrop to a life-and-death drama, there were mixed emotions as the standoff unfolded.

"He's stealing our thunder," shouted one man in tan overalls, while more than one shouted, "Shoot him."

Said Deb Gilvesy, a farmer from southwestern Ontario: "We don't see this in Tillsonburg. We don't see anything too exciting — maybe a pedestrian getting hit. It's a nice, quiet place."

The van remained motionless for a time while police tried to talk to Vuong, who had rolled down the window to shout at them. He then picked up a gas container and began to douse himself before waving a pair of lighters, one in each hand.

The smell of gasoline began to permeate the air.

Suddenly, the van backed up over a snowbank, then sped forward. At the same time, a police cruiser sped up to meet it. The two vehicles hit head-on, the force of the collision collapsing the hood of the police car and crumpling the front of the van.

At that moment, flames engulfed the driver's side as onlookers watched in horror.

The two firefighters closest to the scene when the flames erupted were Ratushniak and Peter Bader, with the backup crew from station 325.

Police officers rushed in, breaking the van's windows with metal rods, and Ratushniak threw a hose into the passenger's side window and began dousing the flames. He then ran around to the driver's side, where Bader was already pulling the man, covered in flames, from the seat. Both worked feverishly with gloved hands to smother the flames.

"As we approached him, he had already become engulfed," said Ratushniak, 42. "I was surprised he went up that fast. His upper body was burned pretty bad."

The two had to work fast and together. "Peter pulled him out. We had him on the ground. Peter had the hose that I had pushed through the truck and I was taking his clothes off down to his underwear. He had on two pairs of pants and they were saturated with gas."

It was 45 seconds before the flames were extinguished. It appeared that much of Vuong's clothes were burned off. He was rushed to Sunnybrook with severe burns and a reported head wound, possibly inflicted when officers broke the van windows.

A police officer suffered minor injuries and the firefighters suffered minor burns.

Ratushniak and Bader insisted on sharing credit for the rescue with other members of the crew, including Russell Vernon, Jeff Gayman and Jeff Bigham.

Gayman, who drove the truck and was the pump operator, said the worst part was not being able to see inside the van. "We were prepared for the worst and it might have been related to the farmers, so it could have had fertilizer in it," he said.

He went to the hospital with Vuong, armed with a fire extinguisher in case any flames erupted inside the ambulance.

"He was kind of out of it and they were giving him morphine," Gayman said. "He was kind of mumbling and trying to lift himself up."

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude
Said Deb Gilvesy, a farmer from southwestern Ontario: "We don't see this in Tillsonburg. We don't see anything too exciting — maybe a pedestrian getting hit. It's a nice, quiet place."

A%20real%20fart%20smeller.jpg

gasper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
Why, because people were cracking jokes?

I'm usually anti-pc and all for light heartedness and jokes, but some situations simply don't call for junior high schoolyard mentality. The "someone toss a match" and mashmallow comments fucking suck.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I'm pissed at this stupid guy... He puts on two layers of pants, three layers of shirts, big glasses and a hat covering most of his face. Seems like, he didn't plan to burn with that many layers... probably just wanted attention.

This stupid crazy fuck wasted the time, effort and money of the city. Not to mention ruined a very important day for Ontario farmers. Seriously, why did he have to drive down to that spot to do it?! You may say, because he knew a bunch of cops would be there, along with political leaders, and he wanted to get their attention... who is that fucking selfish and insane?! If he hadn't lit the fire, no one would care about this story, and he didn't want to kill himself (apparently). The whole thing reminds me of babysitting my 2 year old cousin when the attention has shifted away from the child and on to more important things: "I don't wanna go fo ma nap!!!!! I'll run away! I don't wanna... but I will!!! WAAaaaaa"

Saffron

TRIBE Member
^^ He didn't want to kill himself but I bet he is kicking himself now because of the burns and the fact that he is likely on a Form in the hospital psych unit.

Maui

TRIBE Member
So the Toronto police seem to have a policy of dealing with mentally ill people by ramming them with cars. I wonder if that guy jumped off the bridge to get outta the way of an oncoming cruiser.

It is a wonder the department can NEGOTIATE their way between doughnut shops in this city.

Maui

Fairie

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Maui
So the Toronto police seem to have a policy of dealing with mentally ill people by ramming them with cars. I wonder if that guy jumped off the bridge to get outta the way of an oncoming cruiser.

It is a wonder the department can NEGOTIATE their way between doughnut shops in this city.

Maui

I'm curious...would you have preferred that the cops let him drive away after soaking himself and the van in gasoline? They were trying to box him in so he couldn't go anywhere.