• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

a close shave

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
Shit, I need to try those Feather Platinums.

I use Merkurs, and they're pretty damn good. What I usually do is a with-the-grain pass, across-the-grain pass, against-the-grain pass, all with shaving cream (even though it's cheap, Proraso works well for my skin... I found the Kent soap just didn't work for me). For a fourth pass, I used some oil I found at Shoppers... It was pretty good, but since it's disappeared, I'll steal some grapeseed oil from the kitchen next time. ;-)

I also use this thing, which is amazing. I can get 15-20 shaves out of a blade before I replace it, and my skin is stupid sensitive (also can't shave any less than 3-4 days apart).

Home page

080510_razorpit_razor_sharpener_t.jpg

I just sharpen the one side, then flip the blade, and sharpen again. Dead easy. Turns out the blade doesn't actually get dull, it just had soap and skin buildup that gets hard. Think about it: hair vs. metal...

That's what I've learned, anyway. ;-)

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

deep

TRIBE Member
Definitely give those Feather blades a shot if you find you have to do multiple passes.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I'm a safety razor convert, using a long handled merkur right now. Jesus, the closeness can't of this shave is something my cartridge could never amount to in 10 passes. Love it.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using a safety razor now for a few years and it is the best switch I ever made. I use Red Feather blades which I bought on ebay in bulk a few years ago and I still haven't run out of them.

I have probably saved thousands of dollars on shaving by now, and I am not cluttering up landfills with plastic crap that will never disintegrate.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Now i'm obsessed with a close shave and smelling great. The shaving kit I bought came with a Kent shaving soap that smells like sandalwood and a bunch of other incredible scents. I just ordered a Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap online to replace the Kent one when it's done.

I also discovered Penhaligon's colognes at the Mens Essentials store on the Danforth and bought 2 of their scents; Endymion and Quercus. They're incredible!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Silly question - will the Feather Platinum blades fit any safety razor?

I only recently starting shaving with a safety razor and I'm using Wilkinson Sword blades. They're not bad, my dad gave them to me.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
So I'm making the leap this weekend, going to get myself set up with a safety razor kit, am thinking Merkur.

Anyone had any experience with Men Essentials on Danforth? They seem to have a really good selection and I would like to go to a brick and mortar for my first purchase as I have a feeling I'll need a bit of advice...

Thanks gents!

deep

TRIBE Member
They used to be one of the first online stores for dudes back in the day, the guy running it was a class act and ordered some stuff from there. They had to close their online operations but have since reappeared online / with their brick & mortars. Not sure if it's the same guy running it but previously had no issue with them. Fendrihan seems to be another option, but that would be online and you said you're looking for a brick & mortar.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
They used to be one of the first online stores for dudes back in the day, the guy running it was a class act and ordered some stuff from there. They had to close their online operations but have since reappeared online / with their brick & mortars. Not sure if it's the same guy running it but previously had no issue with them. Fendrihan seems to be another option, but that would be online and you said you're looking for a brick & mortar.

Hey man, thanks for replying.

I went on Saturday, super nice people working there, got myself a nice little starter kit for ~$100

So far really happy, first shave was a bit sketchy but shaved again this morning and went really well, no nicks or razor burn, and my skin feels great! :D

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Man I should have done this years ago... absolutely love shaving this way, feel like I've got it down already, virtually no razor burn and it's such a close shave, eat shit mach 3 turbos!

:D