1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

a close shave

Discussion in 'Guys Stuff Forum' started by kyfe, Apr 16, 2010.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

any barber's that still do a straight razor shave?

I'm in need of one Sauga preferred but I'll take a trip if needed

2. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

There's a fantastic barber shop by, of all places, the Toronto Greyhound Depot. The guy who took care of me was Parisian and barely spoke English. Best service I've ever had. I asked for a beard trim, and the guy took the time to sculpt different lengths into my beard based on my mouth and chin lines. It was all topped up with a hot face cloth and aftershave lotion.

Everything is all fancy but not like a modern salon... it's like stepping into a high-class barber shop from the 1920s.

From their Web site:

Terminal Barber Shop: Introduction

"Welcome to the Terminal Barber Shop, the oldest standing barber shop in Toronto! Since 1925, the "Boys Club on Bay Street" has been a downtown fixture at Bay/Dundas, offering haircuts, massages and hot lather shaves in a classic barber shop setting. Recent visitors to the shop include former Canadian prime minister the Right Honourable Paul Martin and American celebrity Woody Harrelson (pictured below)."

3. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

I was gonna post about Terminal Barber Shop
    I love that place
    The authentic chairs are awesome too, and always Sinatra on the radio.
    Real consummate professionals there.

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Is Tony's still in the underground at First Canadian Place? It's been a while but I loved my close shaves there - this was a different time of course... Tony would stop half way through the cut and we'd have a smoke together and shoot the shit. They had Playboy and Penthouse magazines on the rack, too.

5. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

That sounds fricken amazing. I'm going to check it out.

6. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

There is another great place north of Lawrence on Yonge called Covallos I believe. Hot lather and straight razor shave. Just got a haircut there yesterday

7. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

8. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

How hard is it to learn how to shave with a straight razor...? You could shave a shitload of cash from going to the Gillette people for blades, which are becoming more retardedly expensive each year, but it looks pretty scary.

9. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Ok Just got out from a shave at the terminalbarber shop. Excellent suggestion I think I'll need to get this done every month

total old school

10. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

There is an old guy by my mom's place in Etobicoke who still uses a straight razor to shave and I keep meaning to give it a try. It's called George's barber Shop and it's on Bloor just west of Kipling. I really should go before he develops Parkinsons - that could get messy.

11. Volant

Volant TRIBE Member

This is exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread title! <3 Gromit

12. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Seconded !

[jai]

13. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i got one not this past xmas, but the one before, and still havent shaved with it, since i need to get a strop.

ive been lazy. and as well, i think i have only used maybe 6 Mach 5 blades in the last 17 months.

i use them until they are by most standards laughable.

but since i like saying fuck you Gilette, you price gouging mutherfuckers i refuse to buy them.

[jai]

14. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

Shouldn't this go in the testosterone forum? ;)

15. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

It is hard to learn and takes prctice and self inflected wounds... I have been practicing for awhile now and am getting the hang of it...

I'm fairly successful on shaving the the top 1/2 of may face with the straight razor and finish the bottom 1/2 (neck throat) with a regular razor... At the moment I'm using a straight razor that uses a safety razor blade so it is not the kind that uses the strop but cheap throw away blades... Once I get confident on doing the whole face I'll shell out cash for the proper blade, strop, and brush...

With a straight razor the key thing is not to rush and do it after you shower... There are quite few youtube vids on how to do it...

16. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

I learned how in hairdressing school almost 20 years ago (yeah, I'm that old :p)

We actually practiced on balloons!

It's not really that hard, it is a bit unnerving the first few times though.

17. miguel

miguel TRIBE Member

if you want a close shave at a decent price invest in a double edge safety razor and some blades. you can find a safety razor online for 20-65$ and razor blades for around 30$ per 100. beats the hell out of paying for mach 3 replacement blades. you don't need to go crazy and invest in a nice brush and nice shaving cream unless you want to eventually take it to the next level.

this will get you a very close shave without having to graduate to learning how to use a straight razor.

18. alexd

A couple of years ago I bought a Merkur Furur on ebay for like $50 if I recall, It was recommended at the time... I think deep may have suggested it. I used it for a few years and found it to be quite good, with one critical flaw - the handle is smooth and with wet hands it gets slippy.

Yesterday I walked around Leslieville and found a nice vintage razor. A 1947 Gillette super speed in perfect working shape but a bit grotty looking, cost me $7 and about a half hour of cleaning, scrubbing and polishing, and 2 turns in the dishwasher to bring to life. I shaved with it this morning and it is easily the best razor I have ever used. A dream to use, really. Perfectly balanced, simple, elegant, functional. Beats the Merkur easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Yeah, I ditched the Futur for one of Merkur's Classics myself a long time back.

[​IMG]

20. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

alexd, I pretty much have an identical old razor to yours accept it is gold in colour. I've been wanting to take it out of storage for some time, what exactly did you use to clean, scrub and polish it up?

Now the blades, are you using just regular ones from Shoppers or are there special "good or better types" to use with it.

21. alexd

When I bought my Futur I also bought 10 packs of Merkur blades. You can get them on ebay or amazon probably. They are nice. In South Africa I used blades made by BIC (in Greece) that were OK too.

As for cleaning, I boiled the sucker in water with a little dish soap in it for about 15 minutes. Then I got an old toothbrush with some Barkeep's Friend made into a paste with water and brushed it to a shine.

The vintage razor and shaver dude forum (badger & blade) has an entire multipage thread on cleaning vintage razors here:

Cleaning DE razors - Badger & Blade

22. alexd

I was just thinking... what other technology can work as good or better than present day 'modern' technology like a 50 year old razor? I can't imagine people even wanting to use a 50 year old laptop :)

23. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Last year as I was having a smoke out front of my house, some guy walked by and asked if I had an extra. I said sure, and gave him one. He said it was my lucky day and handed me a 20 pack of Mach 5 blades (which he probably pocketed from Shoppers). I don't think I'll have to give gilette any money for a few years to come now. Sweet.

24. alexd

I love that I can bypass Gillette entirely by giving an old black woman at a vintage shop $7 for a pre-owned razor and using other brand blades in it.

25. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Just hit up the terminal barber shop yesterday to do my head.

Great shop, love the old school chairs, a little pricey given other shops Ive been too, but worth it, given the service, and time they spend.