• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A brand brand new picture thread. (with pics)

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Despite the shitty circumstances for my latest visit to Belfast, I did manage to have a little me-time and take some pictures while I was at it.

Some of the beautiful stained glass windows in the Belfast City Hall

Jesus.. doing stuff

Kaleidoscope!

During the tour, they let me model one of the Councilman's robes.. The extra material on the arm flaps was traditionally for the Council members to shield their faces from the smell of the open sewers at the time.

It looked like this the entire time I was there.. the sky look well ominous.

Is there any better whiskey than "Feckin Irish Whiskey" ?? 9 out of 10 irish say no.

Don't let their sweet faces fool you, these kids are dangerous!

This young girl is one of the brightest children I have ever met.. so sweet too. (shut up krysziu)

JESuX

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:
Jesus.. doing stuff

"no, no, seriously guys! put your finger right there... there! didja feel that? yeah, i know, eh? it's not supposed to stick out like that is it? man, i'm gonna kick my dad's ass...."

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Jeremy, your pics are awesome. I can totally see you selling or showing them. Have you thought about contacting the stock photography vendors?

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Jer, you know you should really be posting those at a higher resolution. :)

nice work!
Do you mean here or on Flickr? I upload 72 dpi renders from Lightroom because it's going to get downgraded for screen anyways. If anyone wants one in full resolution I can send them a link to the same picture hosted on Picasa at 240 or 300 dpi.

Once I finally sign up for a full membership on Flickr I'm going to replace everything there too.

G, thanks! I haven't thought about sending them in. I just take them for myself and would most likely and gladly hand copies to anyone who wanted to print them or use one.

d.code

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
Do you mean here or on Flickr? I upload 72 dpi renders from Lightroom because it's going to get downgraded for screen anyways. If anyone wants one in full resolution I can send them a link to the same picture hosted on Picasa at 240 or 300 dpi.
dpi only means something in print. Pixels are not based per inch.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
I'm still trying to find a piece of software that would help me share my texture library.

I need a few basic requirements filled and i can't believe it's been so hard to find some suitable software.

-Should be able to automate the gallery-building process and include all folders under a master root folder.
-Should be able to upload a web-browsable gallery of all images contained within the root folder, while preserving the folder hiarchy i already have set up on my HDD. (wood, concrete, organics etc...)
-Should be able to provide at user's request, a non scaled version of any photo.
-Bonus: should be able to see changes/additions to my HDD image collection, and subsequently upload those additions to the existing gallery.

I've got about 6gigs to process.
Does picasa do anything of the sort?

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
Well whoopidy doo. Yes it should be ppi. I made a boo boo.

I think ppi is the same thing.. only you're replacing dots for points.
anything PER INCH doesn't apply to images formatted for web/monitors.

ppi and dpi are measures of pixel density to an inch. Inches don't exist on computer monitors, because it's the RESOLUTION of a computer monitor which will affect the screen "size" of an image.
in reality, the image SIZE is the same on a 640x480 monitor as it is on a 1600x1280 monitor. the same image LOOKS smaller on the 1600 because that monitor's resolution is showing more pixel density within a real-world physical size.

With print, you've got 8.5 inches on a standard letter page. So the relation of a digital image to a piece of paper is represented via ppi or dpi. How many PIXELS of the image are going to fit into one square inch of that printed piece of paper.

Last edited:

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
I'm still trying to find a piece of software that would help me share my texture library.

I need a few basic requirements filled and i can't believe it's been so hard to find some suitable software.

-Should be able to automate the gallery-building process and include all folders under a master root folder.
-Should be able to upload a web-browsable gallery of all images contained within the root folder, while preserving the folder hiarchy i already have set up on my HDD. (wood, concrete, organics etc...)
-Should be able to provide at user's request, a non scaled version of any photo.
-Bonus: should be able to see changes/additions to my HDD image collection, and subsequently upload those additions to the existing gallery.

I've got about 6gigs to process.
Does picasa do anything of the sort?

does adobe Bridge have such powerful capabilities? i have only scratched the surface of it.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
ppi and dpi are measures of pixel density to an inch. Inches don't exist on computer monitors, because it's the RESOLUTION of a computer monitor which will affect the screen "size" of an image.
in reality, the image SIZE is the same on a 640x480 monitor as it is on a 1600x1280 monitor. the same image LOOKS smaller on the 1600 because that monitor's resolution is showing more pixel density within a real-world physical size.
That's Ed Zachery. Here is how I understand it and use it every day (and why I love working photographers and designers)

Dpi and Ppi are so closely related that they are often swapped back and forth. Technically it's wrong but it's too prevelant to really matter.

Ppi refers to points/pixels per inch. The number of points or pixels in an inch of space within an image on screen.
Dpi refers to dots per inch and is used generally for the printing world.

To translate a Ppi to Dpi, take the Dpi divide it by the number of inks and you are at the corresponding Ppi.

Why I think Pixels > than Dots. Each pixel is a combination of either RGB or CMYK to create the necessary colour in a tiny space (aka a pixel). If anything Ppi has 3 to four times the Dpi when you are talking in an on screen setting. This is because it would take four time as many dots to create that inch than it would take pixels or points.

When a printer says it is capable of 800 dpi it's sort of a mistruth to consumers. They perceive this as 800 dpi fine art quality printing. A CMYK 800 Dpi printer is really only capable of 200 because it's 800 divided by the number of used inks which is 4. So sending a 300 ppi image to that printer is going to be printed at 200 dpi anyways. The 6" plotter printer we have at work is capable of something like 1000 dpi with each of its 6 ink colours. We're definitely spoiled.

Since we are on the topic, how about the necessity of Dpi and Ppi versus COC (Circle of Confusion)? :p

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the general difference and application of dpi vs ppi however surely someone else here is more versed. But I still technically made a typo boo boo

d.code

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
I think ppi is the same thing.. only you're replacing dots for points.
anything PER INCH doesn't apply to images formatted for web/monitors.

With print, you've got 8.5 inches on a standard letter page. So the relation of a digital image to a piece of paper is represented via ppi or dpi. How many PIXELS of the image are going to fit into one square inch of that printed piece of paper.
Exarctly.

Sorry if I sound like a dick, but its a pet peev of mine. I've had "clients" who demanded these kinds of things for web images and explaining it to them was like trying to teach a guy with no arms and no legs how to swim.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
d.code said:
Exarctly.

Sorry if I sound like a dick, but its a pet peev of mine. I've had "clients" who demanded these kinds of things for web images and explaining it to them was like trying to teach a guy with no arms and no legs how to swim.
*tear* such a touching story.

PS I didn't think you were being a dink at all.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
This is me. On Misty. My first ever horse ride.
And no one guided us or anything. I am so proud.
I also want to paste a horn on her and than trot around town on my new unihorse!!

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Gasper those are more than nice shots, they are amazing pics. I love the one of your friend fishing and the lonely drift wood sticking up.

I went to the ex today to take some pics. Here's what I picked out of the batch.