• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

A brand brand new picture thread. (with pics)

thom100

TRIBE Member
I'll ask this thread before goign to the general posting, as the search is dow....
does anyone in this thread have the link to that cheap camera shop on Avenue Road?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

threeflavours

TRIBE Member
The link for Hit Camera works for me..

What's the deal with that place anyway? I'm looking at getting a 24-1054L IS lens, and it's $250 cheaper than anywhere else..

acheron

TRIBE Member
they sell US product - gray market styles. they honour american warranties through the store (you can't do it yourself)... kind of a neat way to guarantee repeat business. I've heard lots of good stuff about their store but I also heard a lot of guff about their ebay store which has lots of extra charges built in...

threeflavours

TRIBE Member
So if I roll in there with cash, make sure the lens comes with the case, hood, lens cap, etc, I should be safe then?

I'm not too concerned with Canon warranty, I've owned various Canon products all my life, and I've never had a problem yet (touch wood...)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
standard caveat emptor stuff - check the stuff out completely before you buy it... and you're golden.

threeflavours said:
So if I roll in there with cash, make sure the lens comes with the case, hood, lens cap, etc, I should be safe then?

I'm not too concerned with Canon warranty, I've owned various Canon products all my life, and I've never had a problem yet (touch wood...)

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
a few recent HDR shots

this last one i'm not that happy with and i think i'll try it again from a lower angle so that the reflection fills the entire glass pane

kittridge

TRIBE Member
threeflavours said:

Everything there is brand new. I'm still happy with the 20D that I bought there :)

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
HDR is High Dynamic Range. It's the process of taking 3 shots of the same subject and using software to pull out the highlight and shadow detail of each shot and combine it into one. Our eyes see more stops of light than cameras do so this technique is great for scenes that have...well... a high dynamic range of light.

re: hit cameras..they have good canadian prices, but i think importing from B&H or Adorama is still cheaper. i just got the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L (not grey market) and even after tax at the border and shipping it was about $400 cheaper than Hit. This may not be the case for less expensive lenses, but i think it's true of anything over $1000

acheron

TRIBE Member
crazygonad said:
HDR is High Dynamic Range. It's the process of taking 3 shots of the same subject and using software to pull out the highlight and shadow detail of each shot and combine it into one. Our eyes see more stops of light than cameras do so this technique is great for scenes that have...well... a high dynamic range of light.
Wouldn't shooting RAW accomplish the same thing?

deep

TRIBE Member
From my understanding it's a kind of composite image from three images, the added dynamic range making the image somewhat 3D. There's a flickr group that has example photos.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Here are two shots I took of the same scene, exposing for different parts of the scene:

which were composited thusly:

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
Wouldn't shooting RAW accomplish the same thing?
Shooting in RAW only allows adjustments to the exposure/WB etc for the entire picture, whereas combining exposures allows you 'mix' things separately - pull shadow detail in one exposure, midtones with another, highlights with a third.

I've played around with similar things using Photoshop's calculations on multiple exposure layers and it's a huge pain.

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
acheron; from the photomatix faq:

Not really. Your RAW file contains data captured by the sensors for only one exposure. The total dynamic range you can reconstruct from images converted with different exposure settings can never be more than the dynamic range captured by your camera, and this is rather limited (see above).
When you are using only one exposure to capture the scene, your RAW file is already your HDR image.
Converting the RAW file to images with different exposure levels is a bit like slicing the dynamic range of the RAW into several parts. Combining back the parts into an HDR image will at best re-produce the dynamic range of the initial RAW file.

acheron

TRIBE Member
agreed to all that - i mean, even using raw you need to composite the different areas you're pushing or pulling. However all of this being said it is advantageous when aiming for HDR, to use RAW for the source images to provide the most lattitude possible when compositing later.

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
that's a great photo acheron, but if it were an HDR image the treeline wouldn't be in silhouette rather you would be able to see the shadow detail

what you did created a great effect, but you could probably have gotten the same effect by using a single exposure and adding a few curves / levels / hue adjustment layers

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
agreed to all that - i mean, even using raw you need to composite the different areas you're pushing or pulling. However all of this being said it is advantageous when aiming for HDR, to use RAW for the source images to provide the most lattitude possible when compositing later.
I just use the 'Fix my shitty picture' tool in Photoshop which involves a lot of clicking and swearning, and finally, the Trashcan tool and thoughts of buying a some new faster lenses and/or camera body.

crazygonad

TRIBE Member
also.. while we're on topic.. HDR images are usually 24, 32, or 48 bit images depending on how you process and the quality of those giant files can't truely be appreciated until printed on a capable printer.

now someone post a picture before this turns into the photoshop thread

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders