• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

a bandwidth saving suggestion for the D.

mingster

TRIBE Member
hi alex!

if you're looking for a way to save on bandwidth, i thought up a fun little idea.

it's called the 20-picture-post game! you limit the number of pictures posted on each page of the pic thread to 20 pics. i'm not sure if you can do this with the software, or whatever...but what would happen is that after 20 pics, the rest would be red xs.

then people would scramble to fill out the page and get to the next page to post pics, at which point, people will scramble to post their pics before the 20-count is up!

frustration, complaining, conversation and hilarity...WILL ENSUE! guaranteed. :D

Adam

TRIBE Member
except the pics in the post thread are linked from external sites and don't affect D's bandwidth

i still vote for banhammering selfexel

zoo

TRIBE Member
the problem isn't the picture thread

it's the sheer volume of traffic this board gets

the only way to 'fix' it is to reduce the size of each webpage ... and alexd has already stripped the board to a bare minimum of text and sparse pictures ...

or he could simply make the board un-lurker-friendly ... where you have to login simply to read the board

which would significantly reduce the amount of traffic he has, which in turn would reduce the amount of advertising

there is no easy solution ... the board thrives only when it's busy ... if more advertisers noticed this place, there wouldn't be bandwidth charging issues :)

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
the buttons get cached

so once you download all 10k of them combined, you've fulfilled your picture quota :)

10k * 1,000 users = 100 Megs only ...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
My proxy kills all tribe site images and I'm still able to navigate around the board perfectly. Just replace all image buttons with text.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
the buttons get cached

so once you download all 10k of them combined, you've fulfilled your picture quota :)

10k * 1,000 users = 100 Megs only ...

cache's get cleared periodically.. and what about those behind proxy servers that don't cache stuff?

deep

TRIBE Member
I wonder if there's a way to keep segments of threads cached...so that if someone is opening a thread again, it only downloads what has changed to the thread rather than the whole thread all over

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I wonder if there's a way to keep segments of threads cached...so that if someone is opening a thread again, it only downloads what has changed to the thread rather than the whole thread all over
That's a very good idea, especially for threads like NC.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i like the links at the top, all of the buttons should be changed in that fashion. might not save that much bandwidth but i think it would be tits.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Everyone's user name should be shortened by one letter. That would save lots.

And also, threads about saving bandwidth should be banned.

deep

TRIBE Member
shoot the top 20 posters

bandwidth usage goes to nothing, bitch noobs don't have anything to complain about anymore

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Swamper

TRIBE Member
Forums arent too bad on the bandwidth side - what costs alot is being able to handle a lot of users on at the same time & being able to handle 1-2% of them doing searches

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
unfortunately no, webpages are an all or nothing thing when it comes to caching.