• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

99 Sub Promise and AlienInFlux

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Yeaaaaaaaah that was AWESOME. Anyone who knows the venue (no not that one)knows there are usually two rooms, one smoking room one with the dj...But they totally changed it up for this party. They split the rooms with two different sounds...Both EQUALLY fucking awesome. Whoever was involved with AlienInFlux et al. with decorating...that was AWESOME. The lanern with all the different photographs in the smaller room was Wicked. And that HUGE disco ball was a great touch. There was a booth with smoothies and energy bars....i felt like i was in that movie Groove. Kero and Eric Downer KILLED it...There will be tracks playing over and over in my head for a LONG time. I'd have to say my FAVOURITE part of the night was WITHOUT a doubt Vitamins for you. SUCH happy positive music!!! (and to the guy dressed up like hewy louis...you were AWESOME!!!)
Lee: as usual you dont dissapoint. Good job buddy!!

i've been to a LOT of parties thrown by these people to know that you'll always have an awesome time at their events...but this really went above and beyond. Good job guys...

P.S: The vibe was awesome. Its not often i can go to a party and really appreciate a completely positive atmosphere. That was GREAT.

(YOU HAVE NO idea how long that took me to type!!)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Wow, Sleeparchive stuff sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO much different on a loud system than it does on my itty bitty headphones at home.

Danced my ass off, loved the decorations - great vibe, lots of weirdos around (but I mean that as a good thing), lots of fun.

AND NO, I DONT KNOW ANYONE WITH E
(must of been asked that a dozen times last night)

casual

TRIBE Promoter
Party was awesome.

Aesthetics were top notch - sound was good, lacking a bit of mid in my opinion, but good nontheless. function killed it, right up my alley. Downer played a dope set/ "convextion" / nice tune sound boy. Haven't heard that track on such a large system before. Sleeparchive was good, only stayed for about half an hour of his set, was getting way too tired.

peace.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
My brain is barely operating at a level sufficient to navigate Tribe with my mouse.

Nevertheless, I will say that Promise hasn't disappointed me yet, and last night was no exception. The music, vibe, decor and venue all meshed incredibly well. I must apologize to: a) the person whose beer I drank by accident in front of the DJ booth (seriously, totally embarassed about that!) and b) anyone else that I may have offended. :D

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
how late did it go? I was considering going after footwork at like 6am but by the time I walked a few blocks my legs felt like lead so I called it a night.

Bean

TRIBE Member
we got there a bit late, so only got to catch downer, sleeparchive and the sauce, and were not disappointed one bit!

i really enjoyed the transformation of 99. the curtains did not constrict, nor did the overhead mesh netting. the netting totally brought back memories of ritual 4 at the opera house (autechre & hawtin). :)

i was really digging the lighting and lasers. they weren't in your face and added to the night.

the sound was loud (so glad for my ear plugs!).

i wasn't into into sleeparchive - a bit harder than i'm used to, but still danceable. i really enjoyed downer's set - quirky, punchy and got me shakin'. lee's set was powerful - big sound, high energy. i totally planned on dancing for its entirety smack dab at the front, but the shirtless wonders made me change my mind. zut. we left before it was complete. (i think things wrapped up after 7 a.m.)

a big thanks and congrats to the alieninflux and promise folks. the event totally lived up to - and for me, exceeded - the hype generated beforehand.

aki

TRIBE Promoter
What an amazing night!

alienInFlux, Sensor, and Promise....you outdid yourselves once again.

They took old faithful 99 Sudbury and transformed it into something fresh. It was reminiscent of oldschool techno jams. Dark dark dark. The camo netting was awesome. One of the great things about these guys is they put A LOT of emphasis on environment, and the work they put into creating a unique environment is what makes their parties some of the best in the city.

We arrived in time to catch the last bit of Noah's set. He was laying down tracks that were perfect to loosen the crowd and build anticipation.

I enjoyed the first bit of Function, but found it got a bit repetitive with the hard as nails beats. Though i do recall standing in awe at some of the crazy drum patterns.

Kero fucking rocked it. Nuff said.

Then Downer, Downer just killed it. The energy in the room for his set was incredible. His opening track was SWEET, and I wish I could remember what it was. Anyone know?

After the crazy energy of Downer's set, i found Sleeparchive to be a bit of a letdown. I spent most of their PA sitting and chatting, as what was being played just wasn't getting me moving.

And last, Lee. He brought the energy of the crowd right back up and layed down something fierce. Hootin and hollerin to the dirty-ass basslines was a good way to end the night.

I'm not sure what time it ended. We left at 5:30 and Lee was still going strong. Would have liked to have stayed to the bitter end, but the heat combined with sore legs from dancing for the previous 5 hours left me dreaming about a comfy couch.

Oh, and lasers. LASERS!!

Once again, massive thanks to everyone involved in the party. You did a fantastic job.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Yep it was a rave. It was really nice to see the space being utilized proper - i had a very good feeling they would not dissipoint with the decor. It brought a completly different atmosphere to the place which was a nice change.

Kero was interesting and experimental as always... function was awesome !! lots of old techno tracks, tight mixing, effects.

Downer had a shakey start but pulled it together and really kept the vibe going....

Sleeparchive reminded me of richie hawtins old stuff when he first came on which is fine but not very good for orignality.... he did change it up, still with a good minimal flow. It was sooo good to hear minimal being played, it has been way to damn long it this city.

I could not stay for his whole set, at that time the crowd was just getting to weird for me, like the guverment had just let out, lots of muscle bound, shirtless dudes and odd women flaling about.. and guys dancing all up in my space. it was becoming to crowded and to aggressive and i hit my threshold after a scary women, i swear wanted to beat me if i did not apologize to her at once for accidentally being pushed into her. - holy run-on sentence

Overall it was a good night, got some good dancing in.

praktik

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
... after a scary women, i swear wanted to beat me if i did not apologize to her at once for accidentally being pushed into her. - holy run-on sentence

Overall it was a good night, got some good dancing in.

Man.. I hate that... its crowded. People are dancing and milling about. You WILL have some unintended physical contact with a myriad of strangers all night!

Get used to it I say! I dunno what it must be like for those people that get pissed at being bumped into at a BUSY party: is it like one long continuous stress-out cause each accidental knock is such a major travesty for them?

I came. I saw. I conquered. Downer had the set of the night for me. ;)

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
Whatdya nite!!!!!!!

Promise, once again threw a jam that will be remembered for awhile

Great decor, 99 looked totally different.

Music was stellar, groovy, funky bangin techno all nite....

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
Wicked night all around!! Props to all involved in throwing this event.

I got there pretty early to an empty Sudbury save for a few people hanging around. But something happened just before midnight(?) I guess and the room filled up in a hurry. I don't think I've ever seen a room fill up like that so quickly.

anyways, when I got there the opening dj, sorry I forget his name, was putting down some wicked organic/atmospheric/breaky/ambient sorta stuff. Get music to get your ears in tune with the room and a great start to the night.

Next up was Noah Pred, who I heard at System Soundbar a while back and was impressed with. However, on this night he was totally on point. Dude knows good music! Fuckin' basslines like nobodies business rollin' all over his set! I would love to see Noah as the headliner at an event for more than just an hour to really hear what he's all about. Bloody impressive and he's a great guy too. Nice chatting with you and katie. Welcome to Toronto.

Function was supposed to be up next but for some reason Kero came on. My first time hearing this guy and I gotta say that he's SICK!!! Love the way he's always using his mixer, constant movement. I think a few people in the crowd got a little scared(lol) due to the lack of the 4/4 beat but he's shit is so tight! Crazy industrial type stuff a la Adam X style. What a great unexpected treat!

Then Function came on, the guy that I was there to see. I just fuckin' loved it. started slow and just built up to complete techno bliss! Danced my ass off. I love his brand of techno.

Eric Downer! Nice to bloody meet you! You are a gentleman and a very gifted Dj! You said that you hadn't played out for some time but man it didn't show one bit! You really showed the out of towners the way we do it here in T.O.! You had that crowd going off! Look forward to bumping into you in the future again.

Sleeparchive was good. I hadn't really heard to much from this dude from Germany until recently when I bought one of his tracks. He was good but not great. I need more pitching up and down in the tempo department to keep my legs moving. That being said his production is still wicked and I love the way his music has sounds in it that sorta flutter all about the room.

Lee Osborne is a trooper! Sick like a dog and still able to bang out an incredible set that had everyone still rockin'. Props to you Lee, you truley have the love of the music in your soul and it shows by the fact that you made it out, when you easily could have cancelled and been resting at home. Hope you get better soon.

Again, thanks to all involved in making this party happen! To all the people that I met, including James who I met on the streetcar over there, and everyone else who was just there to get down to a sick night of techno. Cheers.
:)

ian

TRIBE Member
I had to bail way too early due to some "stomach" issues. However, I was blown away with the setup. Wes played some great almost abient opening music and Noah Pred was laying it down. Scott and Mike (and helpers) pat yourselves on the back for the amazing lighting. Some of the little lighting touches (like the way the lasers were hitting the disco ball in the main room) were sublime. Don't even know if they read the board, but kudos!

poker face

TRIBE Member
I must say that place did not look or feel like 99 Sudbury. The crowd was ready to party and the music was dark. Once again everyone involved out did themselves.

casual

TRIBE Promoter
aki said:
I enjoyed the first bit of Function, but found it got a bit repetitive with the hard as nails beats. Though i do recall standing in awe at some of the crazy drum patterns.

Kero fucking rocked it. Nuff said.

Kero actually played before Function. It was Kero who was "hard as nails"

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Sleeparchive reminded me of richie hawtins old stuff when he first came on which is fine but not very good for orignality.... he did change it up, still with a good minimal flow. It was sooo good to hear minimal being played, it has been way to damn long it this city.

In some ways, I can agree with the 'not so original', as it does sound like an earlier hawtin. However, thats part of the reason why I like his stuff so much.

On the other hand, it doesnt seem that many people are playing that sound anymore. I wasnt around partying back in the the early-plastikman days, and things like Closer/Consumed are my two fave records of his, so it was really nice beeing able to hear stuff like that at a club, on a proper sound system. And, its different then the minimal that gets played these days (not better, just different).

But on the end, I really liked his PA, had me moving - and hearing it on a system that good/loud transformed his stuff into almost something entierly new sounding. I was actually supprised that it sounded as hard as it did (I've always found him to be rather relaxing to listen to while at home :p).

But all around, top nothc night all around. The crowd was just the right mix of freaks,geeks glam'd up people ready to get partying, the decore was great, the setup of the rooms was nice/unique and nice to see sud'99 transformed like that - created a very cool feel. The music was all great and covered a wide array of sounds, and got exposed to some stuff I never heard before - which I always like.

And, I kind of got a chuckle when I saw a few people who looked like they game just from the Guv't walk into the frontline area during sleeparchive and sort of give a 'huh, wtf?' look as they couldnt get into the music :p

I really liked the diversity of people that came out though, its nice to see a real mix up like that.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
poker face said:
I must say that place did not look or feel like 99 Sudbury. The crowd was ready to party and the music was dark. Once again everyone involved out did themselves.

*cough*

you Mr. were missed for the pre-birthday drinks. and that jonesy friend of yours too. mostly by me cuz I couldn't make it out to see you guys at 99. :(

sounds like it was rockin good time. I wonder if the b-day boy has made it home yet? ;)

beana, excellent review. :)

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not going to this.

I was at Theory the night before and really wanted to just chill. But then again, ATP was at Theory too--and he didn't puss-out, so I mean....

Wait, what do I mean?

I mean that I'll be at the next one no matter what. I've LOVED every Promis party I've gone too.

andymidnite

TRIBE Member
lineup rotation confusion

casual said:
Kero actually played before Function. It was Kero who was "hard as nails"

are we totally sure about this??

kero was the skittering drum n' bass, broken glitchy stuff?

well, i mistakenly told him that his set was the highlight for me then. i guess it was function's. i liked it but it was a little hard to remember how i used to dance to squarepusher and the like when i was younger. :eek:

whatever the rotation was, it was all pretty great. sounded fabulous in the center of that room. reminded me of a party back in 1998 with mixmaster morris and the orb at the warehouse with giant stacks of speakers creating a 'bass-womb' to float inside of and lose yourself.

a great party to get people excited for spring and for all that entails.

can i get a mutek?

slave2da dncflr

TRIBE Member
I had soooooooooooooo much. The place looked amazing. I loved Mike and Scott's disco ball. the music was fun until the end i could not stop dancing.The vibe was great. I did not even notice the guv people. thanks to everyone involved and do more of those parties please.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Ok i didn't MEAN To be dressed like that...but i went to one of my gay friends birthday parties in Yorkville...so i was dressed up. and hey who cares do i have to look casual and crappy to have fun?