• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

925 silver cannabis grinder by tribe

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
925-silver-cannabis-grinder-tribe.jpg

The half pound silver grinder by tribe. Something to give to your kid someday. Or not, depending.

Over half a pound of 925 silver, micro sandblasted to a matte finish. Bearing Canada's National Precious Metals Mark, which is our country's highest symbol of quality in precious metals. Personal, family or corporate branding on the flip side is optional.

Let us make one for you. info@tribe.ca

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
How does silver hold up to grinding resitance, as opposed to aircraft-grade aluminum and other metals? ...and what's the basic pricepoint?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How does silver hold up to grinding resitance, as opposed to aircraft-grade aluminum and other metals? ...and what's the basic pricepoint?

In our testing silver proved superior to plastic and aluminum. It is especially superior to color finished anodized aluminum. The pyramids do not touch (they closely pass by each other) and only contact the herb. The only better material for a grinder is stainless steel, a material which has no resale value. Stainless grinders are nearly impossible to manufacture (which is why the Chinese aren't making them) so a well made one will cost half a grand if you can find one.

Our 1/2 pound silver grinder pictured above will sell for $1000 USD. I am still putting a silver plate on the back side (which can be engraved with a family name or initials for example, or left plain), so this one will be a troy oz heavier when sold.

I am also working on another silver grinder like this in 9999 fine silver with cloisonné enamel instead of the back round name plate as a design experiment. This is essentially colored glass fused to form a layer maybe about 1 or 2mm thick. I am looking for a nice rich color with some transparency which has good visual depth characteristics. We will be using Canadian Flag red glass for this. It is just a design element using a very old technique (Faberge eggs!) and won't impact the grinding action. If the tests work, we will incorporate cloisonné into the design.

Last edited:

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Stainless grinders are nearly impossible to manufacture (which is why the Chinese aren't making them) so a well made one will cost half a grand if you can find one.
design.
BULLSHIT!

I know folks making these IN CHINA and can send you a number of links with regard to quality, tested stainless options. ALL between $80 and $150 USD. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but you're posting easily refuteable nonsense.

By all means, promote and emote. Just make sure you get your facts straight. Be happy you get called out here, rather than in the open market.

What you post as fact here will stay with you forever. ...and as far as SS grinders go, you're looking pretty needy. I have a couple. They work great. I bought them both from friends who designed them, no discount, under $200.

Half a K? Lol!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am talking specifically about the LIFT stainless steel grinder made in Canada which sold out immediately at $400 + taxes, and now goes for more than that in the after market. All the Chinese made "stainless steel" grinders we tested in our market research turned out to be zinc plated brass or chrome plated various non-stainless steel. They are inexpensive and that's why. Those are my facts. Where do your "friends who design them" sell their stainless steel grinders? Because we'd like to see a website with an actual product for sale so we can get them and test those products too.

I remind you that our company is about making products here in Canada - NOT CHINA.

It is truly a mystery to me why you find our products so upsetting. You seem to be coming into this thread to troll my products, or to promote mass market Chinese imports. Clearly you are not interested in purchasing my products and are just here to denigrate what we are doing, so please stay out of this forum. Thank you.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
BULLSHIT!

I know folks making these IN CHINA and can send you a number of links with regard to quality, tested stainless options. ALL between $80 and $150 USD. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but you're posting easily refuteable nonsense.

By all means, promote and emote. Just make sure you get your facts straight. Be happy you get called out here, rather than in the open market.

What you post as fact here will stay with you forever. ...and as far as SS grinders go, you're looking pretty needy. I have a couple. They work great. I bought them both from friends who designed them, no discount, under $200.

Half a K? Lol!

Alexd is clearly targeting a different clientele than you and I... all the products seem to be for people with lots and lots of disposable income that also want to make a statement about their consumption of cannabis. look at places like tokyo smoke which cater more to young urban professionals than they do your typical high school stoner.

Personally, I would find it a little ostentatious, but I have no doubt he'll sell a few units. there's always gonna be the type of guy/gal that will want to show off their $1K grinder for company.

Will it do a better job than a $40 grinder? Doubtful.

:)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Alexd is clearly targeting a different clientele than you and I...

there's always gonna be the type of guy/gal that will want to show off their $1K grinder for company.

:)

You are starting to get it. These products are not even for me. They are for a market that exists at the top end of any category. The people who buy $10K glass pipes from Mothership, for example, or the people who buy wedding bands from Tiffany, Cartier or Boucheron, or $5000 handbags. Not you or I, and that's OK.

I will never own a Lear jet, and I don't really know all that much about them, but I'd never go on their website just to shit on the plane and troll them, saying I can get to London cheaper on Air Transat... because that's just stupid.

The very top is a small niche in any category, but we created & own the precious metals end of it in cannabis accessories. I am absolutely happy to be focusing on it, because it allows me to create and experiment and iterate, creating functional cannabis accessories in precious metals, combining goldsmithing with pipe making much as Alfred Dunhill did in his very early years in the UK.

We are using the plant itself, unconventional materials like jade, other Canadian gemstones, Canadian diamonds, and even deer antler in some products. We are taking precious metals casting to extremely high levels (that grinder is absolutely brutal to cast, even for a master precious metals caster with over 30 years of casting experience). We're incorporating the very finest Canadian materials into the products, and putting Canadian master goldsmiths, master gem cutters, stone setters, master polishers back to work. Working with prospectors who search stones for us in BC, Quebec, Nfld, Ontario, Nunavut or the Yukon, and cutting them here in Canada to put into our products. That is what this is about.

The silver grinder is equal in grinding ability to the best grinders we tested in our market research. People who buy the silver grinder expect it to work perfectly, and it does. But they are really buying it because it contains over 1/2 a pound of silver, their name can be cast directly into the metal on the flip side, because each one takes over a week to make. They are buying the half pound sterling silver grinder to give to a respected client, or for their own use. They are buying it because they are not made in China. My customers are not interested in $40 grinders from China.

Personally, I want them to buy the grinder so they can pass it on, when their kid comes of age, or when they graduate college, law school, med school, or to give as a wicked wedding gift. That's what I want to see, and now that cannabis is legal in Canada this type of gifting can happen.

Last edited:

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Alex?

Your Lear jet analogy is a bit much.
No, you are not designing high end aircraft.
You're making *weed tools. And *craft jewelry.

You're promoting these items here on your forum, and when members ask questions you don't like you tell them the products aren't meant for them anyways so it doesn't matter. Try to understand what an odd message you're sending.

*IN CANADA!!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Alex?

Your Lear jet analogy is a bit much.
No, you are not designing high end aircraft.
You're making *weed tools. And *craft jewelry.

You're promoting these items here on your forum, and when members ask questions you don't like you tell them the products aren't meant for them anyways so it doesn't matter. Try to understand what an odd message you're sending.

*IN CANADA!!

I have to correct you on some things.

First off. I was being trolled and not being asked questions "ya but my friend can get $40 grinders from China" is not a question.

If someone asks me a question here I always answer to the best of my ability. I've always done that.

Tribe is not craft jewelry. Craft jewelry is something you get at a flea market. Craft jewelry is made of plated cheap metals. Craft jewelry is not made of high karat golds. Craft jewelry does not contain 1/4 or 1/2 pounds of silver in a piece. Products like tribe's are in the high jewelry realm.

I can recommend some books if you want to learn more about it.

Tribe cannabis accessories & jewelry products are 14K and above, and are manufactured by a team the most skilled precious metals workers in the Canada, in what's left of our once vibrant (and soon to be again) trade jewelry district downtown. Our high jewelry pieces and 1/2 pound silver grinders bear Canada's National Precious Metals Mark, which is the highest mark of quality our country has for precious metals articles.

You don't get what I am doing. And that's OK.

Whenever you do something new and different, most people don't understand. At first. When I started tribe magazine 26 years ago a lot of people didn't get it, many hated it, but that never stopped me from pushing forward with it, because it was something I had to do. The people that got it, found it.

If you don't get what I am doing now, you will get it later. But if you don't get it later or never get it at all - I really don't give a fuck as it's not why I am doing this anyway. I hope that's clear.

I haven't started promoting on the board yet. The ads haven't started running yet as I have been too busy casting gold for Christmas products. The ads will be running shortly. Use an ad blocker if you don't want to see them.

This specific forum was more an area to keep my notes as I iterate products and test various pipe and nail designs, do organic cannabis plant castings, as we go into year two of this project. Instead of writing blog posts, because I don't like WordPress as much for notes. I thought to put stuff here, to cut and paste it later for blog posts perhaps or other content, while benefiting from the google indexing in the interim.

I also thought a cannabis forum might be a place for members to talk about how 'legalization' is impacting them in Canada. But if it not going to be used for that I will probably just wall it off and just use the cannabis forum as my public notepad about this project, so I can document as I make new products. Much easier than creating WordPress pages for me.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
sterling-silver-cannabis-grinder-01.jpg

This sterling silver cannabis grinder is our main model.

It's a clean, plain design, with a butler finish on the exterior, and a satin finish on the faces.

Hallmarks, including our maker's mark (tribe), 925 purity mark and Canada's National Precious Metals Mark are engraved in small type inside the rim of each half.
This grinder weighs slightly less than 1/2 pound in its plain state, but options such as monogramming, custom logos or branding can be cast into the grinder and will take its weight over 1/2 a pound.

The entire grinder has been peened to increase cutting surface hardness.

It is smooth and efficient, and designed to last lifetimes, so it can be passed down through a family.

Last edited: