• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

633kthread #420.b HTPC anyone?

KiFe

TRIBE Member
so does anyone have any experiences building an HTPC?

Any favorite cases? Preffered gfx cards or suggestions regarding building one.

I'm hoping to be able to surf the web, view dvds (and all misc video formats for that matter), record shows unto my harddrive (ala TiVO) and listen to mp3s through my home network.

Discuss.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Paging Otis.

But personally I'd look into a small case, like a shuttle or something... if it's just for that.

Any decent video card should be cool.

TiVo? You have a TiVo.. I miss my old roommates TiVo.

pr0nstar

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Paging Otis.

But personally I'd look into a small case, like a shuttle or something... if it's just for that.

Any decent video card should be cool.

TiVo? You have a TiVo.. I miss my old roommates TiVo.

pr0nstar

no.. but i have a popular science article on how to turn a dying old pc into a tivo for super cheap.. so i assume if i get a nice HTPC, i can apply the same concepts to it.

wouldnt that be sweet?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Tivo is great, just if you're legit about it, you have to pay for the service ;)

Bahahah Popular Science, you're such a g33k.

pr0nstar

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Tivo is great, just if you're legit about it, you have to pay for the service ;)

Bahahah Popular Science, you're such a g33k.

pr0nstar

at least i'm informed.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I threw my video PC together with a bunch of parts I had laying around. It's only a P3 400, and has a 2 gig hard drive 300 megs ram, Radeon 7000 and a USB 802.11B adapter. It's in a plain black ATX case and I'm using just a basic Logitech kb & mouse wireless set with it (no optical to conserve batteries).

I use my main PC to serve the files over wireless to it, and I use it mostly for watching DivX and other media files. I can surf the web and watch webstreaming video fullscreen if I want.

For a video card, go with ATI, they've really nicely perfected their TV display capabilities wheras Nvidia's TV out function is still shit.

If you're not interested in hard drive recording then just get a Radeon 7000, they're only $50 and perfect for TV display & DivX playback.

If you're looking to get recording fucntions, then get an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER Pro 9600, it's expensive but will do what you need & even comes with PVR automation software. It also has the capability for HDTV out (with an adapter). Also get a big & fast hard drive.

There was a Maximum PC issue a few months back that took you step by step on how to build your own shuttle box entertainment PC, it was pretty comprehensive and would really help alot if you're looking to go that route. It will be more expensive though and restrict your options.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS

If you're looking to get recording fucntions, then get an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER Pro 9600, it's expensive but will do what you need & even comes with PVR automation software. It also has the capability for HDTV out (with an adapter). Also get a big & fast hard drive.

yeap... i was planning on getting the latest all in wonder.. knowing full well that they lead the pack when it comes to tv tuning, and video related output.

Ill want to record shit off tv also. (missed survivor last night).. so a big harddrive is probably in the cards aswell.

im surprised you are NOT using an optical mouse... altho i realise they are a pain to recharge, i figured a ball mouse would be a bitch to ride in the livingroom. You're restricted to the coffeetable i assume?

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Umm, just download it off BitTorrent ;)

me no likey BT...

besides... i'd rather record tv all night, then watch whatever i want at my leisure.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe

im surprised you are NOT using an optical mouse... altho i realise they are a pain to recharge, i figured a ball mouse would be a bitch to ride in the livingroom. You're restricted to the coffeetable i assume?

I have an optical wireless on my main PC and with the mouse, since it's on all the time conks out after about a month. I don't use my video PC enough to warrant charging the batteries on it monthly.. so far it's been good as the mouse & KB have already lasted about 4 months without any indication of dying yet -as long as it sits quietly it doesn't use batteries. The ball mouse is fine on the coffeetable, and I've also used it on the arm rest of my chair without problems. Haven't had dirt problems yet, and teh KB/mouse wireless combo was only $38 so it really was the right choice.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
I have an optical wireless on my main PC and with the mouse, since it's on all the time conks out after about a month. I don't use my video PC enough to warrant charging the batteries on it monthly.. so far it's been good as the mouse & KB have already lasted about 4 months without any indication of dying yet -as long as it sits quietly it doesn't use batteries. The ball mouse is fine on the coffeetable, and I've also used it on the arm rest of my chair without problems. Haven't had dirt problems yet, and teh KB/mouse wireless combo was only $38 so it really was the right choice.

sounds like it.

coo mang.. thanks for the info... mabie ill put this pc together myself... i've been meaning to take up a home project. :D

ttyl... LUNCH!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
If you're planning on going the shuttle route, let me know and I'll photocopy that Maximum PC DIY for you.. it's got allot of good info on what to look for & what to avoid.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Revived from the dead.. hopefully someone out there can offer some insight.

I'm finally looking to get my pc built... but ncix's quote seems a bit steep.

Here's what i want:

Silverstone LaScala lc03 Case

P4 3.0ghz with HyperThreading.

INTEL D865PERL Mobo <--- has onboard sound, but would like confirmation as to whether it will play the dolby signal off my DVD movies.

SAMSUNG 256MB PC3200 DDR400 184PIN OEM Ram... (just 2 to keep the price down for the time being, will buy more in the following weeks)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 40GB HD ATA/100 8.9MS 7200 OEM <--- again, just a cheap starter drive for a system drive. all my games would probably be installed on a faster SATA drive i buy later.

1.44MB BLACK 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE <---- why do people still buy these anymore? >meh< 11 bucks aint gonna kill me.

AHANIX SILENX 460W ATX POWER SUPPLY <--- need a heffer to power the 6800 i plan on buying.

So all this for $982.05 before taxes.
Seems a bit steep to me... anyone have friends in the computer building biz? Mabie they can offer me a better quote.

So ill be looking to add a 6800 with 256texture ram, a hauppage win-tv250 pvr card, and a ~200gig sata HDD.

Shit.. suddenly this thing is PAINFULLY expensive. Or should i just shut up and accept the fact that that's what these things cost?

Any insight on the machine itself is welcome aswell.

-easy.