• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

401 vs Highway of Heros (is this a repost?)

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
hope not.

Stretch of 401 to be renamed 'Highway of Heroes'
Updated Fri. Aug. 24 2007 1:34 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The stretch of Highway 401 running from Trenton, Ont., to Toronto will be officially renamed the Highway of Heroes in remembrance of Canada's fallen soldiers.

Ontario's provincial government consulted the federal government, municipalities along the highway and the Royal Canadian Legion about the name change on Friday.

The highway will not lose its official designation at the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway, but signs will be erected designating the route as the Highway of Heroes.

The design of the signs has yet to be determined.

The man behind the online petition in support of renaming a section of Canada's busiest highway says he has been overwhelmed by the response.

Jay Forbes had been receiving between 400 and 500 signatures a day in support of the name "Highway of Heroes" but the amount of people signing the petition has rapidly increased over the last few days.

"In the first four days I had 4,500 signatures," Forbes told CTV's Canada AM on Friday morning. "But now...I (have) 20,000."

Forbes decided to create the petition after seeing positive feedback toward an article on the Internet about renaming a section of Highway 401 the Highway of Heroes.

"I just had enough time and I whipped up a petition," Forbes said.

The support for the petition has come at a time when, residents, police officers and firefighters have been gathering to salute and wave flags on Highway 401 overpasses while motorcades carrying the bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan make their way to the coroner's office in Toronto.

Forbes' actions have been supported by retired Lt.-Col. Peter Dawe, whose son Capt. Matthew Dawe was killed in Afghanistan in July.

Dawe said that his son would have been supportive of renaming a section of the highway.

"I think there's a need for Canadians to show support for the troops to recognize the sacrifice," Dawe said.

It would also provide healing and support families of fallen soldiers, he said.

"At the same time I think we need to keep our eye on the rest of the military who are putting it on the line for our great country every day," Dawe said. "So somehow, you've got to balance that."

Nevertheless, Dawe feels the support from a cross-section of Canadians gathering on the highway overpasses is an "incredible phenomenon."

It's a show of support that the creator of the petition has successfully transferred to the online realm.

"It's truly amazing to see and it just goes to show how many people do support the troops in Canada," Forbes said. "It's just great."

what do you guys think? :confused:

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
doesn't bother me.

can't see why anyone would have an issue with it either. It's just a symbolic thing. doesn't cost anyone money other then maybe putting up a couple of signs.

Teufel-man

TRIBE Member
I dont mind it, it would be nice to honour the fallen troops, but i feel it should be more of a 'nickname' so to speak.... like an official nickname...

because i just think it would be kinda awkward to heard on the news: " theres tons of traffic on the highways of heros today..."

or like for directions: "just head west on the highway of heros until you hit exit 6...."

they should just call it something like Highway 401: The Highway of Heros

just my $0.02

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
Teufel-man said:
I dont mind it, it would be nice to honour the fallen troops, but i feel it should be more of a 'nickname' so to speak.... like an official nickname...

because i just think it would be kinda awkward to heard on the news: " theres tons of traffic on the highways of heros today..."

or like for directions: "just head west on the highway of heros until you hit exit 6...."

they should just call it something like Highway 401: The Highway of Heros

just my $0.02
thats what i was thinking! im for it but 401 should still be included for those exact reasons

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Teufel-man said:

People probably said that before the QEW was named as such, or when it was named that (did it open with that name?)

It will get abbreviated quickly, I'm sure. HoH is way easier to say than QEW.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Teufel-man

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
People probably said that before the QEW was named as such, or when it was named that (did it open with that name?)

It will get abbreviated quickly, I'm sure. HoH is way easier to say than QEW.

good point, but HoH doesnt really have a ring to it at all... maybe some other short form would come from it

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Can the stretch between windsor and london be renamed the highway of villains then? They already have hezbollah billboards there..

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Which heroes are we talking about WW2 vets? Or people unfortunate enough to be killed by friendly fire or maimed by a bomb in the middle east?

screamy

TRIBE Member
My understanding is that it's for all CF soldiers killed in action (we have troops deployed in lots of places, not just the Middle East, FYI). I don't know for sure when the 401 was constructed, but I'm fairly confident it post-dates WWII, so it would be for those CF members killed in more recent active deployments.

Current military protocol, from what I've been told, stipulates that the bodies of any KIAs are typically (not necessarily always) repatriated from wherever to CFB Trenton and, due to (possibly military, maybe not, I'm not sure) more protocol, are normally autopsied (even when the cause of death is obvious) at the Ontario Coroner's Office on Grenville Street.

I'm all for it, personally. I think it's a small gesture, to be sure, and I always get choked up when I see people lining the procession route.

Not everyone supports the CF, but every soldier I know who has been to Afghanistan or anywhere else says it's not about the politics of the mission for them, it's about being able to help the local people get some stability and start to rebuild. It's one of those things where I guess you can't really understand their POV unless you've been in their shoes.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I've heard some discussions about this on the radio, seems that some people out there support the idea of recognising the contribution of our fallen soldiers, but feel that "heroes" is an inappropriate descriptor.

Here's a definition of the word "hero" from dictionary.com:

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

In your opinion, are all fallen soldiers "Heroes"? Have they gone above their call of duty in losing their lives for whatever cause our government has asked them to serve? In what context do we compare them to determine their heroic quality - do we compare them to average citizens, or to others in the armed forces?

If you feel that Highway of Heroes is not appropriate, what would be?

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
mr tall said:
The Highway of bullshit pandering for votes

he should fuck off

Yeah , kinda the way I was thinking too.

I would rather see some sort of National Military Cemetery established than name some over-crowded slab of concrete after those that died.
Nice idea , but its not enough.

screamy

TRIBE Member
I realize that there's an election coming up and this could definitely be construed as pandering...but it was a civilian's online petition that started this, not Dalton McGuinty. I think they were at 35,000+ signatures at last count.

If the timing was in late September, maybe I'd agree more...in any case, I'm just glad it's going to get done. It sure as hell won't make me any more or less likely to vote for him.

FYI, we have a National Military Cemetary already: http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/nmc-cmn/engraph/about_e.asp, as well as the National Field of Honour in Pointe-Claire, Quebec, which is maintained by the Last Post Fund (at least in part, I'm not sure if there's any other support provided from government agencies and the like).

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
personally i think we should name the 401 after our first prime minister, and the first premier of Quebec to honour their contributions to the creation of our country, fittingly so for a road which connects the two provinces.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:
personally i think we should name the 401 after our first prime minister, and the first premier of Quebec to honour their contributions to the creation of our country, fittingly so for a road which connects the two provinces.

I got that history lesson from Google Maps.

Personally, Highway to Hell would've been more modern.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
screamy said:
Not everyone supports the CF, but every soldier I know who has been to Afghanistan or anywhere else says it's not about the politics of the mission for them, it's about being able to help the local people get some stability and start to rebuild. It's one of those things where I guess you can't really understand their POV unless you've been in their shoes.

well put

HoH sounds fine to me

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
screamy said:
My understanding is that it's for all CF soldiers killed in action (we have troops deployed in lots of places, not just the Middle East, FYI). I don't know for sure when the 401 was constructed, but I'm fairly confident it post-dates WWII, so it would be for those CF members killed in more recent active deployments.
Highway 416 is named "Veterans Memorial Highway" and the naming took place on June 6, 1998, in commemoration of the 54th anniversary of D-Day.

My guess is that Highway of Heroes on the 401 is intended for more recent conflicts.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Teufel-man said:
good point, but HoH doesnt really have a ring to it at all... maybe some other short form would come from it

You say that now because you're not used to it...like I said, I bet when people thought to abbreviate the QEW they thought it was odd too.

acheron

TRIBE Member
"A Canadian Armed Forces personnel carrier overturned on the Highway of Heroes this afternoon, killing all six soldiers on board - while authorities on the scene immediately ruled out terrorism as the cause, it was discovered that the soldiers had been on furlough in Trenton, and might have been drinking.

The section of the Highway of Heroes where the accident occurred is to be renamed "The Highway of Losers.""