• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

3121 - #1 album in america!

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
Bought it last tuesday when it was released... been listening to it in my car ever since... and I must say, this is a damn good album! For the past few years, the charts have been dominated by a number of artists biting Prince's 80s sound (Pharell, Outkast, Timbaland... to name a few), while Prince himself was distancing himself from it, opting to experiment with jazz-funk, and other obscure sounds that pretty much went unnoticed by the mainstream. Now, it seems that Prince is finally embracing his past with 3121. This is vintage Prince... as if he wants to tell the world that nobody does Prince better than Prince!

stand out tracks include:
3121 (dark funk opener, kinda spooky sounding, and spooky guitar solo)
Love (revolution-style synth funk... very catchy!)
The Word (love the guitar solo at the end!)
The Dance (great piano ballad)
Fury (the one he rocked out on at the Brit awards and on SNL)
Lolita (irresistably catchy!)

this album brings the funk... although I was hoping to hear more rock songs, but after repeated listens, it's definitely a grower, just like all his best work.

... but I did not get a purple ticket :(

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
Not long after he bought a house here, I followed this little Latino man around the Rosedale Loblaws for like half an hour. I was convinced it was HIm, could not get close enough to make a positive ID. He was wearing a purple coat and everything.
also, it wasn't him

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
mitsuko souma said:
Not long after he bought a house here, I followed this little Latino man around the Rosedale Loblaws for like half an hour. I was convinced it was HIm, could not get close enough to make a positive ID. He was wearing a purple coat and everything.
also, it wasn't him
maybe that was me... LOL... just kidding... i dont have a purple coat.

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
Ya, he does it again....I really enjoyed Musicology, but 3121...damn!!!!

"Written, composed and per4ormed by Prince"

He's a f@#$% genious.....

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
watching him perform FURY on SNL solidifies one thing for me...
he's still one of the best musical acts EVER.
cant wait to see him here in support of this album.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
I'm so down with the Royal P. (but not this time)

Musiclally I think "Get on the Boat" & "The Word" are awesome but the pervasive christian / religious themes really put me off. Everything else is fine, but too self-referential for my liking.

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
^^^ have u heard the Rainbow Children? It's a good thing that I don't pay much attention to lyrics... but musically, that was a masterpiece.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
TaCk OnE? said:
I don't know, i'm probably alone, but I think this album is mediocre at very best.
*shrugs*
nah, I'm sure you're not alone... the guy produces so many different genres of music... those who like his rock stuff may not like his R&B stuff, those who like his funk may not like his jazz. On first listen, I didn't really like it either cuz I was hoping for more guitar-driven rock... but its been growing on me fast.