• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

264 Hours Without Sleep

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Randy Gardner holds the Guinness world record for the longest period of time a human being has gone without sleep. In 1964, as a 17-year-old high school student, Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days) with the help of friends, TV reporters, and games of pinball. On his final day without sleep, Gardner presided over a press conference where he spoke without slurring or stumbling his words and in general appeared to be in excellent health. "I wanted to prove that bad things didn't happen if you went without sleep," said Gardner. "I thought, 'I can break that (Peter Tripp's 1959 record) and I don't think it would be a negative experience.'" Sleep experts now believe that such sleep deprivation stunts are dangerous (Veasey et al., 2002).

It is often claimed that Gardner's experiment demonstrated that extreme sleep deprivation has little effect. This is primarily due to a report by researcher William Dement, who stated that on the 10th day of the experiment, Gardner had been, among other things, able to beat Dement at pinball. However, Lt. Cmdr. John J. Ross of the US Navy Medical Neuropsychiatric Research Unit, who monitored Gardner's condition at the request of his parents, reported serious cognitive and behavioral changes. These included moodiness, problems with concentration and short term memory, paranoia, and hallucinations. On the fourth day he had a delusion that he was a famous black football player, and that a street sign was a person. On the 11th day, when he was asked to subtract seven repeatedly, starting with 100, he stopped at 65. When asked why he had stopped, he replied that he had forgotten what he was doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(sleep_deprived)
-----------------------------------------------------

Well Done Randy!! 264 hours without sleep and I'd be done right psychotic. but you proved it could be done.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I know two people (who don't know each other) that have gone longer than that... but they were both injecting meth.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
The most I have ever done is 72 hours and that caused me to have some serious issues. I couldn't imagine doing it for 11 days.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Imagine hitting the bed after that though. I'm pretty sure you would pass out on the way down.

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
I like that movie with Ethan Hawk (I think). He hit some kid with his truck and took off. He was never able to sleep for about a year after that, got really skinny, and all this fucked up shit happens. That was cool.

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
the longest i've ever gone was 102 hours and no it wasn't on a drug binge.

caffeine and pure adrenaline were my best friends for those 4+ days.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
when i was partying hard i would go 135 - 140 hours [ 5.5 days no sleep ] this was something i would pull off quite regularily, but after 2 years it started to take its toll, and became not enjoyable anymore, so i stopped, now with only the sporadic insomnia bouts i get , 3- 4 days max i will go without sleep. and those have been rare, over the last 6 - 8 months

264 hours though, thats fucking fucking crazy shit right there.

[jai]

Last edited:

ila

TRIBE Member
3 nights sleep missed was the lowest point I ever hit.

it was...so bad. I can't imagine going longer than that without croaking or being admitted into the nuthouse.