• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2017 Sci Fi movies - Big Year!

djfear

TRIBE Member
Alright.. *ahem*, let's try this again. :p

So 2017 is going to be a big year for sci fi, and I have to tell you, I have high expectations! There are also other great movies or expectations in 2017, but we're not going to talk about trainspotting, or the lego batman movie, we're just talking about sci fi - and only the most anticipating sci fi!

Let me explain by starting at the end of this year:

Rogue One A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016
I'll be seeing this in IMAX 3D.

Ghost in the Shell - April 14, 2017
What can I say about this movie... it has Scarlet Johansson playing The Major, an asian character... yah. I love GitS, absolutely love it. Already have a gripe with the casting though. The rest of the casting looks jacked as well in terms of racial makeup and it's a problem because it's a Japanese movie, it's not a "Universal" movie. Still excited for it, but I have even higher expectations which may not be met. IMAX of course.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - May 5, 2017
I loved the first one! Totally looking forward to this one as well. Will be seeing it in IMAX.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - July 21, 2017
1 name and 1 movie. Luc Besson, and The 5th Element. I don't know what it is, but I'm very excited for this movie. This looks like another space opera set way the fuck in the future, and it's made by Luc Besson. High expectations for this movie. I really hope it doesn't suck, and I do hope it achieves cult status like 5th element... we'll see as it's way too early to tell. I'd say I'm most excited about this movie. IMAX 3D hands down.

Alien: Covenant - August 4, 2017
"The crew of the colony ship Covenant discover a dark, dangerous world whose sole inhabitant is David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition." IMAX for sure.

Untitled Blade Runner Sequel - October 6, 2017
"They call you brade runnah." Remake. I basically have the highest expectations for this movie. The real sad truth to it is that Blade Runner is such a good movie that I have no idea how they expect to top it. Watching it in IMAX for sure.

Star Wars Episode VIII - December 15, 2017
According to episode 4, this should be the best movie (since episode 7 was the same as episode 3... that's how my math is going tonight). A fine way to wrap up an amazing year of sci fi.

Now let's see how these movies fare throughout the year.

Any thoughts on the movies mentioned? Any other ones you're excited about?

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
ARRIVAL is getting ridiculous early reviews. Folks that have seen it are saying it's the movie the Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR should have been. This is the sci-fi movie that I am most excited about. Granted it's got a November 2016 release date, but you included Rogue Nation on the list and it's also a 2016 release.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016

By the way, Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are both fantasy, not sci-fi. :p

praktik

TRIBE Member
i'll watch almost all of these and enjoy most of them too I bet!

I typically find a way to enjoy whatever it is im watching and these themes for the movies all look cool.

Valerian sounds wicked

praktik

TRIBE Member
ARRIVAL is getting ridiculous early reviews. Folks that have seen it are saying it's the movie the Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR should have been. This is the sci-fi movie that I am most excited about. Granted it's got a November 2016 release date, but you included Rogue Nation on the list and it's also a 2016 release.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016

By the way, Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are both fantasy, not sci-fi. :p
Looks like the movie Sphere should have been

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Maui

TRIBE Member

So 2017 is going to be a big year for sci fi, and I have to tell you, I have high expectations! There are also other great movies or expectations in 2017, but we're not going to talk about trainspotting, or the lego batman movie, we're just talking about sci fi - and only the most anticipating sci fi!

Let me explain by starting at the end of this year:

Rogue One A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016
I'll be seeing this in IMAX 3D.

Ghost in the Shell - April 14, 2017
What can I say about this movie... it has Scarlet Johansson playing The Major, an asian character... yah. I love GitS, absolutely love it. Already have a gripe with the casting though. The rest of the casting looks jacked as well in terms of racial makeup and it's a problem because it's a Japanese movie, it's not a "Universal" movie. Still excited for it, but I have even higher expectations which may not be met. IMAX of course.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - May 5, 2017
I loved the first one! Totally looking forward to this one as well. Will be seeing it in IMAX.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - July 21, 2017
1 name and 1 movie. Luc Besson, and The 5th Element. I don't know what it is, but I'm very excited for this movie. This looks like another space opera set way the fuck in the future, and it's made by Luc Besson. High expectations for this movie. I really hope it doesn't suck, and I do hope it achieves cult status like 5th element... we'll see as it's way too early to tell. I'd say I'm most excited about this movie. IMAX 3D hands down.

Alien: Covenant - August 4, 2017
"The crew of the colony ship Covenant discover a dark, dangerous world whose sole inhabitant is David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition." IMAX for sure.

"They call you brade runnah." Remake. I basically have the highest expectations for this movie. The real sad truth to it is that Blade Runner is such a good movie that I have no idea how they expect to top it. Watching it in IMAX for sure.

Star Wars Episode VIII - December 15, 2017
According to episode 4, this should be the best movie (since episode 7 was the same as episode 3... that's how my math is going tonight). A fine way to wrap up an amazing year of sci fi.

Now let's see how these movies fare throughout the year.

Most of these movies will probably suck as most movies for years have sucked. But at least someone is advertising for and keeping Imax in business.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I wasn't knocking it, I appreciate good quality picture and sound.

Was just busting that dudes balls cause he had to make note that every movie separately was to be seen in Imax.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Luc Besson getting behind the camera for a Moebuis styled sci fi romp has got my attention.

Lucy, while completely preposterous and hilariously unhinged, still had the smart casting of Choi Min Sik as the heavy, and was awesome eye candy.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
lucy sucked!!!
surprised you liked it el pres

if it was like 20 mins of scarlet in the shower on a loop would have been way more watchable

praktik

TRIBE Member
I was incredibly offended by its presentation of science - the best sci fi tries to be plausible in a cool way, this was both implausible and dumb.

Aside from this, it passed the time.

See - I could even find a way to make Lucy pass the time and part of it was the visual style and some of the choreography. Mainly I had a tough time listening to anything Morgan Freeman had to say and suspending my disbelief that there were vast audiences of eggheads fawning at him for his amazing discovery.

Anyway - I've seen worse.

It's terribly written, I completely admit it, and the "science" part was equally out there (including how she develops some of the later powers).

But it's a Luc Besson movie.

Dude's been pumping out trash like crazy as a producer - The Transporter, From Paris With Love, The Family, Taken, etc. Dude's a french Roger Corman - he might be pretty out there with the ideas, but behind the camera he delivers on spectacle. And as crazy as the rides are, they're just about always entertaining to some degree. Lucy delivered spectacle, even if none of it makes a lick of sense.

As for Morgan Freeman, there's times where I think he's in his "Connery in the 90's" era of his career - doing work in order to make payments to the pool.

The Truth

TRIBE Member

Blade Runner 2049
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/blade-runner-sequel-title-revealed/418944

zerOGda2nd

TRIBE Member
Ghost in the Shell going to be turd, unless they see the original series and the movies. Which they usually don’t. An example of this would be the Aeon Flux movie which was shit.

djfear

TRIBE Member

Super CGI. Hopefully Luc Besson doesn't fuck it up! It does look like a space opera, which is what this movie is supposed to be.

Super CGI. Hopefully Luc Besson doesn't fuck it up! It does look like a space opera, which is what this movie is supposed to be.

Even if it isn't any good, it'll be one hell of a ride. Besson does his fair bit of cheese, but the man can bring his sci fi inspirations to life.

I think we've waited long enough for a follow up to The Fifth Element.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
True Sci-fi (not adventure road/action movies or fantasy set in space) i think benefited from restrictions to visual effects in the past. They had to rely on tension and performances. Now that the technology has essentially exceeded imagination the easy way out is massive explosions and intricate long set pieces. I'm hoping we're at a point of maturity now that there is some kind of return to true sci-fi. Arrival looks like it could be this and Blade Runner has the talent behind it to do that.

Luc Besson though might be the perfect director to combine amazing visuals with good story and content.

I'd love to see stories like "Brazil" with current visual effects.

If you're meaning going back to using practical effects - it's becoming more of a niche market - not as much time in the production cycle being used in figuring out how to create the effects, and the time to actually make them. The last one I saw that was pretty dedicated to the practical was Harbringer Down - a Thing rip off with Lance Henrickson that had its moments.

As soon as the first Jurassic Park movie was made, that was the turning point in practical effects for the most part.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
No I mean using modern effects and making visuals that are as amazing as even shitty effects movies can do, but return to a more mature sci-fi style. Like "The Man Who Fell To Earth" stories. I mean that movie's only effect was David Bowie really. Sci-Fi is all spaceships and explosions these days. Sci-Fi has so much more than that.

So something more along the lines of Ex Machina or maybe even Under the Skin?
Arrival might be what you're looking for, if you're looking something a bit more cerebral - directed by Dennis Villeneuve, no less.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
ARRIVAL is outstanding. Very clever storyline/concepts and presented in a way that you really feel like you are figuring things out along with the main characters. I don't want to give anything away. There are intriguing and original concepts of space and time, interesting commentary on current political forces in exploring how the world would react, and work together or not, in dealing with a first contact situation, as well as some tough personal questions on love and loss. The linguistics concepts, the notion that language structure influences how our brains work, and that language can therefore evolve and be a powerful tool/weapon, are both thought-proving and entertaining. This is a brilliant film.

Lois Lane and Hawkeye are both excellent in this. Especially Lois Lane.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories