• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2016 TFC/MLS thread

Variant

TRIBE Member
CYJYmZjWAAEeCyc.png

Gone: Chris Konopka, Joe Bendik, Ahmed Kantari, Jackson, Collen Warner, Herculez Gomez, Luke Moore, Robbie Findlay

In: Clint Irwin, Drew Moor, Steven Beitashour, Tsubasa Endoh, Will Johnson

I really like what the TFC have done in the off season. Picking up 2 former all-stars and a center mid from the MLS Champions to replace the gahbage that was our defence last year really bodes well. I won't miss any of those players they let go. It might take a few games for the team to gel and were on the road for the first 8 but this team is alot more balanced. I think we scored the most goals in the regular season last year and were tied for most goals conceded. Maybe this is the year.

The MLS season kicks off with TFC v Red Bull this Sunday. Hope to see the boys light a fire to start things off.

Stop Bill C-10

praktik

TRIBE Member
Oooh June 18th, sure it will be a popular game, but excited to see Jelle Van Damme if the Galaxy start him that day!

Might be deemed obscure pickup from the Belgian league for them but he's an absolute tank!

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Big win to start the season the D looks much more organized and stingy out there, moving the ball forward wasn't exactly pretty but with a game breaker like Gio if we can figure out how to defend like that more often it will really help especially on this road trip.

Endoh looked amazing out there was really impressed with him.

4-3-3 was they way they went today can't see that formation working once Jozy is back.

TFC!!

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Definitely a tie that felt like a win today...team showed great character, and of course our main man Gio stepped up when we needed him most.

Will Johnson has looked fantastic in his first two games as a red so far, and overall we just look that better than previous years, having a quality starter at each position.

Gonna be a tough one in SKC a week from now...it's a tough crowd that's close to the pitch, and they dismantled the Whitecaps last night.

Variant

TRIBE Member
Agreed that overall the defence looks alot better. Perquis is still a bit of a liability. He should have headed the ball away for the NYC FC's second goal. He jumped and completely missed it although cudos for making amends and scoring.

The other concern is up front. Giovinco doesn't have alot to play with as Endoh is green and Delgado isn't good enough. Osorio is talented but doesn't get involved in the play enough and definitely doesn't score or assist enough. When Bradley is sitting deep then we lack for possession which was apparent in both the games so far.

Instead of a 4-3-3 I think we'd have more possession with a 4-2-3-1 with Cheyrou and Johnson as the holding mids and Bradley as the number 10. Osorio and Endoh on the wings and Gio up top.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Instead of a 4-3-3 I think we'd have more possession with a 4-2-3-1 with Cheyrou and Johnson as the holding mids and Bradley as the number 10. Osorio and Endoh on the wings and Gio up top.

I'd be all for trying that formation, except I believe Jozy will probably be making his season debut this coming Sunday, so throw Bradley back with Willy (Cheyrou makes a great 60 minute defensive sub), and then Gio under Jozy.

And that 2nd goal for NYC should never have counted, as Villa brought it down with his arm first (the ref admitted after the game that he never saw that, and conceded the goal shouldn't have counted).

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I really don't like Jozy on this team I'd love that formation with one up top but I guess we have to play him I would not be upset if he is shown the door after this season all he does is get hurt and score goals when we are already up 2-0 most of the time.

I agree we really need help on the wings Delgado is inconsistent at best and endoh as mentioned is young and this is a big step up for him I am sure, he has held his own but not sure it will be enough and Oso as much as I love the guy never seems to make much happen out there

I think Lovitz can be better for us in time he has missed a ton of games and hope he can step up at some point.

Moor is looking good out there and making Perquis look a little less shitty so that is good I guess.

That Villa handball I missed but thought it should have been a foul anyways because he backed in and knocked down our jumping defender who was trying to make a play

tobywan

TRIBE Member
The goal from spending the first 8 games on the road, is 8 points.

So far we're at 4 points after just 2 games...so far, so good.

Gonna be a BIG test Sunday night @ SKC.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
The goal from spending the first 8 games on the road, is 8 points.

So far we're at 4 points after just 2 games...so far, so good.

Gonna be a BIG test Sunday night @ SKC.

big time test I am really excited to see how our D looks in that game but you are 100% right 4 points out of two games to start the season on the road is nothing to complain about

Variant

TRIBE Member
how it was not a foul call on the goal against us I still do not know that was a terrible no call

Agreed. That's the glass half empty version. The glass half full version is that we didn't get killed by one of the best teams in the west while not having our best defender.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
very true my anger in that call glazed over a gritty performance against a high powered team on the road! still a great start to the season all things considered

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Ugh, the moment I saw that Toledo was reffing the game I knew something was gonna happen...and there it is, Davis both stepping on Morrow's foot/toe and shoving him with his right elbow in one fluid motion, which is/was an obvious foul. Not called. Brutal.

But that can't take away from what a fantastic, awesome game on the road this was for TFC.

We looked a bit better once Altidore & Babouli came on, and switched to a 4-4-2.

Time to switch in to national team mode, with our Men's team hosting Mexico in a massive WCQ match at BC Place on Friday.

Variant

TRIBE Member
1/5 of the season done and the tfc have the best defence in the league and they haven't played at home yet. altidore played his best game as a red yesterday and gio is looking like the mvp still. all the new signings have worked out so far. well done boys.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
That was as close to a complete performance that TFC has ever given.

On the road against a rival, and you easily take care of them 2-0.

We now have 11 points from 7 road games, and still one to go before the big home opener on the 7th against FC Dallas.

The off-season acquisitions of Irwin, Moor and Beitashour are really paying off.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
one point out of first with all road games and a few suspect calls that may or may not have robbed us of more points what an incredible start :)

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Giovinco, Bradley and Moor all named to MLS team of the week.

And hopefully/possibly a *slight* advantage on Sunday in Portland, as the Timbers are playing in NE on Wed, so they might have some tired legs.

In any case, regardless of who Portland plays at home, the Timbers Army always impresses me as the biggest and most organized supporters section in the league. Their stadium always sounds rockin'.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Saturday's game was my best/favorite TFC overall game day experience, no questions asked.

From the look and vibe of the new renovations, to 30,000 singing the national anthem in perfect time (I would thank the roof for keep in the sound), and of course their play on the field.

Finally feels like we have a a proper stadium and not just some bleachers, and even better is how much of an actual team we look like and play like. Our backline is a million times better.

That's 4 clean sheets now for Irwin. He's quickly helping me get over the loss of Frei to the Sounders.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Saturday's game was my best/favorite TFC overall game day experience, no questions asked.

From the look and vibe of the new renovations, to 30,000 singing the national anthem in perfect time (I would thank the roof for keep in the sound), and of course their play on the field.

Finally feels like we have a a proper stadium and not just some bleachers,

The renovated stadium looks pretty cool when I ride my bike past on the Lakeshore. I'm interested to go see a game there, but also the Argos, too. A proper grass field for football in Toronto sounds amazing. Clearly it's going to destroy the soccer pitch though, and all the hash-marks will look terrible as they never perfectly disappear. TFC fans must be losing their minds over this, just when things are coming together ;).

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I wish The Argos would shrivel up and die <- my thoughts on a shared stadium with that side show they call a league

Atmosphere was brilliant in there was smiling from ear to ear after that anthem(raps won adds to the smiles), it was just incredible to be a part of and I can't wait for more nights at BMO

Last edited: