• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2015 - Year In Review !!!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
2015 was an excellent year. Our daughter, Aixia, had just turned one when the year started, so this was another year of many “firsts.” Her first time walking, then running, then jumping, saying words and now slowly learning to speak in sentences and singing, mostly songs from Frozen which is her favourite movie, book and soundtrack. Every time I think she is as cute as a human being can possibly be, she somehow manages to get cuter. I cannot wait to see what next year will bring, as she continues to learn to talk, pottie trains and hits other milestones.

Other stuff that happened in 2015:

• We did some travelling: Rang in the new year in Hong Kong, where we attended my brother-in-law’s wedding. Did snowboarding trips to Whistler and Tremblant. Had a week at a resort in Mexico (not my favourite type of vacation but very fun nonetheless). Attended a wedding in Seattle. Had work trips to San Francisco twice and Montreal twice. Attended the Further Future Festival in Nevada, which is an awesome new festival thrown by one of the best creative groups from Burning Man. This is basically a slice of the Burning Man Festival that one can experience over a three-day weekend. Our big trip of the year was a two-week adventure in Italy, where we visited Rome, Sardinia, Naples, Amalfi Coast and Puglia, seeing a good chunk of the country by car.

• Work was great. After my company sold 2/3 of its subsidiary businesses last year, we spent this year building out our remaining subsidiary businesses and positioning our company for sale, which will likely occur next year. I am hopeful that the entity that buys our company will have a continued need for my role, or else I will find myself looking for a new job next year. The eventual buy-out of my company is something that my team has worked toward for more than five years, so we are hopeful for an excellent return on investment.

• Lots of good friends had kids and/or are in the process of having kids. More and more, it seems like get-togethers are involving children, which is all excellent. I still try to go “partying” occasionally, usually about once every month or two. It’s a lot easier hosting dinner parties and pool parties these days.

• My two nieces (age 21 and 18) are both “raving” and getting into trouble. They love hearing about oldschool parties, or at least they pretend to as they butter me up for the occasional free tickets. I now have a nephew and a niece that have graduated university and entered the workforce, which is a bizarre realization.

• We got a new car.

• Favourite movie of the year was Inside Out, with honorable mentions to The Martian, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Steve Jobs. Favourite television shows were Game of Thrones and Jessica Jones. Favourite comics were Invincible, The Walking Dead and the new X-Men books by Brian Michael Bendis. My only concert this year was U2 at ACC, so that counts as my favourite concert of the year. Party of the year was the Further Future Festival in Nevada.

We are due to have a baby in March of 2016 (a boy!), so 2016 should be a helluva year. :)

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Paid my big Tax bill, contract ended which finds me in Kingston. Got into something with High School, Bernie, and Underpants.

Pretty uneventful.

Let the folks I admire to stay safe, and content, and looking forward to completing a software related business. Or as the nerds say "Startup"

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
well, this is a disappointing year-in-review thread. 356 views and only two people chose to share their thoughts on 2015.

does anyone else want to share their thoughts on how the last year went? i've always enjoyed reading people's posts in these threads.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
People are still recovering from New Year's Will! I will post mine later this evening...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

silver1

TRIBE Member
Overall I had a great year in 2015. Lots of fun times with family and friends throughout the year. Some highlights for me:

• It was my wife's 40th birthday this year so I spent a ton of time planning for months in secret some surprises with her closest friends to try and make it her best birthday ever. The look of happiness on her face as all of her Birthday plans unfolded made all of the hard work totally worth it.

• Finally got to see one of my favourite bands growing up, Faith No More, who I never got a chance to see in their heyday. I went to see them twice! Both shows were amazing!

• My oldest son hit 54" this year. This might not mean much to many, but for Coaster enthusiasts this is a big number. It essentially the height you need to be to ride any ride you want in the world. We rode Behemoth and Leviathan together for the first time and he absolutely loved it (we must have gone on them 4 times each). Great Father/Son moments for sure.

• For no particular reason at all I got into baking this year just out of the blue. I've gone on to master cheesecake's, trifles, custard tarts, etc. Even made my first soufflé. It's something I'm continuing to challenge myself with interesting new recipes as I find them.

• I made an actual bucket list for myself of interesting things I wanted to do. No crazy/unachievable things like "Climb Mount Everest" or anything. Just fun things I've always wanted to do. Made a list and started working towards them. First item I got to cross off was going to a Football game at the Big House at Michigan U with a great group of guys and had a blast.

• Got a new car (first new car in almost 13 years) and I'm loving it.

• Had my first Star Wars theatre experiences with my 2 kids. It totally took me back to my own childhood of seeing Star Wars movies in the theatre for the first time and was a wonderful/unforgettable experience to do this now with my own kids.
That's about it. Mostly I just tried to have as much fun as I could this year and enjoy life as much as I could. Here's hoping to a great 2016. My first adventure of the new year will be to hit up the awesome theme parks in Orlando with the family for my own 40th birthday.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
This year was almost entirely highs with just a few lows. Life is good.

• Got married to the mother of my two children.
  • Bought a house.
  • Lost 30 pounds.
  • Finally made it to Division 1 squash at my club. Made it to the semi-finals in my first season playing these tougher opponents.
  • My son started Grade 1 and now has actual homework.
  • My daughter started pre-school and now has her own world outside the home full of friends.
  • Traveled for work to Miami, Muskoka, Chicago, Austin, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Halifax. Not the most glamourous list but I enjoyed myself.
  • Started yoga. Love it.
  • Started bicycling to work. Love it, just not in the cold.
  • Successfully resolved some health issues that had been ongoing for a few years.
  • My beloved dog got cancer and had a major surgery. She is still with us but doesn't have much time left.
  • Gave up drinking coffee in favour of green tea.

Regrets from the last year
  • Didn't spend enough time with my kids
  • Didn't spend enough time with my friends

djfear

TRIBE Member
This year was almost entirely highs with just a few lows. Life is good.

• Lost 30 pounds.
  • Finally made it to Division 1 squash at my club. Made it to the semi-finals in my first season playing these tougher opponents.
  • Started yoga. Love it.
  • Started bicycling to work. Love it, just not in the cold.
  • Gave up drinking coffee in favour of green tea.

Impressive! All that squash, yoga, and cycling has paid off!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I had a great 2015 that started off with a bang and then got a bit wonky in November...

* I have a girlfriend now? The amazing and beautiful woman I met at the end of 2014 through a mutual friend is now my gf! We spent an awesome year together having adventures, camping, magickal foresting, wearing onesies, going to the island, cycling, and cooking. She is going to come visit me in South Africa and I am very happy about that!

* As most of you know, I have a hobby: using metal detectors in oceans and lakes. It turns out, I am one of the top guys at this in the world now, so I talked myself into going to Mauritius to metal detect in the ocean. It was pretty expensive getting there but what an amazing place! Mauritius is probably the most beautiful place I have seen on the planet. You must put it on your bucket list too because words cannot even describe how stunningly awesome this place is..
I spent a week wading in topical waters with colorful tropical fish and found enough to pay for my trip. I am going again in 2016 but for 2 weeks.

* I had a lot of issues with my house in South Africa this year, some break ins caused damage that is still being repaired. I replaced the battens under my roof tiles (a massive job) and two days after the job was completed a big storm came through and blew off a section that had to be fixed again.

* My 2015 New Years resolution to grow my ad network business significantly was going fabulously until November, when I got a notice that I would lose my main network ad supplier in 2016. I definitely felt like Sisyphus: having worked really hard for 2 years to have it all roll back down again. Still, I realized that a lot of web publishers now count on my services to monetize their sites, and I am not one to hang someone out to dry, so I am looking for multiple ad suppliers instead of just one big supplier to fill that demand.

* I put my recently acquired G license to good use this year, renting cars and driving all around Ontario to camp and metal detect. Sometimes with the girlfriend, sometimes by myself. It was epic! I hunted Grand Bend, Wasaga, Fenelon Falls, the Cobourg area. Having wheels allowed me to discover the true beauty of Ontario. What a fabulous province we live in.

* I had the best Christmas/New Years holidays I have ever had. Quiet, with quality time spent with friends.

* I had some bad neck issues this year but managed to mitigate most of them with Pilates workouts.

* Back to the metal detecting. A great year but finds were harder to come by due to lack of beach erosion in the lakes and oceans. 2015 Treasure Count: Gold Rings: 34, Platinum Rings: 2

Come to think of it: in spite of the health, house and business setbacks, 2015 was probably the best year I've ever had!

praktik

TRIBE Member
2015 was all about the 1st year of being "officially married" and was the send-off for our beloved feline, Kitty.

It was a very mixed year - career improvement for me set against setbacks for the wife - didn't have as much money this year as a result and so we did less big fun trips and even much less hanging out in bars/restaurants/clubs.

This should change this year for us in small ways, we'll be more financially stable but probably are aging too - we'll just have a bit more cash around to have fun this year than last tho I bet we will probably choose to "chill" more often and save the extra cash!!

WE pretty much called this year "The Year of Kitty" as we focused on making every day for her a great one and worked through the health challenges and all the things we had to do for her. We wanted one last great summer for her and you know - we had that. She ended up passing pretty much on the last day of summer, and we had achieved what we set out to do for her.

We're both looking at 2016 as a year we hope to be better than 2015, and we have a lot of reasons to think that will be the case!

Certainly my career changes have taken me out of a toxic place with high-risk and into a place with more reward, more potential and NONE of the toxic BS i had to deal with for years. So even on a small thing like "fearing the upcoming monday" - I know 2016 is already guaranteed to be a better year than 2015!

Hopefully we can hit Mexico up or something in the fall..;)

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
2015 kinda sucked the big one in some ways and then were good in others. My last really good year was 2013 and even that was after a lot of turmoil. Hoping to give this year my best effort in making it better for me.

My resolution is to be kinder to myself and to others. And maybe quit smoking before the year ends :)

greginhali

TRIBE Member
* As most of you know, I have a hobby: using metal detectors in oceans and lakes. It turns out, I am one of the top guys at this in the world now, so I talked myself into going to Mauritius to metal detect in the ocean. It was pretty expensive getting there but what an amazing place! Mauritius is probably the most beautiful place I have seen on the planet. You must put it on your bucket list too because words cannot even describe how stunningly awesome this place is..

WOW! I am intrigued. Sounds cool. I have always enjoyed the metal detecting thread and your amazing finds. I remember when you won that sweet metal detector. What has changed to make you find stuff so good? Seriously, it is amazing you can go to Mauritius and pay for your trip. It make me want to quite my job and become the second best Metal detector in the world. Way cool!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is there some sort of ranking system that puts you on top??

I am not "on top" but one of the top dozen guys in the world. Success is measured in quantity and quality of jewelry finds. 1 big plat or 18k ring can equal 3 dozen 9k wedding bands for example. I have been up there for the last 3 years.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! I am intrigued. Sounds cool. I have always enjoyed the metal detecting thread and your amazing finds. I remember when you won that sweet metal detector. What has changed to make you find stuff so good? Seriously, it is amazing you can go to Mauritius and pay for your trip. It make me want to quite my job and become the second best Metal detector in the world. Way cool!

I could have found nothing on that trip too, and would have had to pay for the trip! I think there is a certain amount of skill needed and of course the best gear, which is quite expensive. I don't hunt every day of the year like many of the top US guys, but I hunt daily for about 3 months of the year. Not all day either, but maybe 1-5 hours a day. One of the things I do that the other guys don't is physically train for my trips. I do Pilates daily for 3 months prior to my hunting season and my Pilates instructor works with me to develop core strength and flexibility specifically for metal detecting in heavy ocean surf. She knows what I do and she helps me do it better.

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
2015 Highlights:

Work
- Grew business. Hired new staff in Singapore office
- Favourable geopolitics lead to decrease in crude oil price, increasing arbitrage and shipping demand on our Saudi Arabia / Japan route
- Dealt with usual challenges and major typhoon in July, affecting schedule

Personal
- New property in Bangkok, love the city
- Travelled [Japan roadtrip, South Korea, Indonesia, Thailand, Burning Man US, Italy, Monaco, UK]
- Enjoyed simple pleasures like movies and good coffee

2015 was a solid year. Cautiously optimistic about 2016... Let's see what surprises wait in Q1 and Q2.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
We had a great year!
We hit up Jamaica again, this time with our daughter who achieved rock star status at the resort
Hit up many cottages with friends
bought a new house and made the move further west to Burlington
became a landlord for the first time and started our retirement plan by having our Mimico house rented out
Got to go back to Nova Scotia and see Halifax
had an amazing christmas with family and friends
found out we are expecting our second child

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
The first 10 months of the year were a struggle, but since then I've started to turn things around.
In November I went adventuring in Costa Rica where I scratched learning to surf off my bucket list, while also travelling alone for the first time that wasn't for business. This experience and time allowed to disconnect was instrumental and since then I've returned with a better mindset, have spent more time immersed in music than I have in a while including recording 2 different mixes (1 / 2), and I adopted a cat who is pretty awesome.
I'm feeling a lot more positive about the year to come than I was at the start of last year.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Probably one of my best years to date.

My lovely lady finished her residency and scored a fantastic job here in the city. We moved into an incredible place.

Travelled about 5 weeks this year to all over the states and canada and to Jamaica where my sister got married.

Still love my company, my lady, my cats, wish i could have seen my family a bit more, but that is on deck for 2016.

Got hit by a car last week, so i guess that wasnt so great, dislocated my shoulder, but it could have been worse.

im alive, healthy, and everythings just getting better and better !

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4712053 said:
where I scratched learning to surf off my bucket list

i learned to surf this year too, but in portugal. scratch that, i tried. i was pretty terrible, but i loved every minute of it. i want to learn properly and go for a longer session, not just one day.

2015 was pretty rad.
- went to Portugal and fell head over heels in love with Lisbon. ate so much good food and climbed so many hills. loved it.
- had some cottage and camping weekends
- finally finished the public relations post-grad certificate that i'd been doing on and off part time for the past 5 years. graduated with flying colours! smell ya later, school work.
- got a promotion
- worked out a lot this summer and felt great doing something healthy and good for my body

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I decided in 2015 that I was very unhappy with the career path I was taking so I left marketing to pursue another ambition which required me to return to school so this year has been rather tame, mostly spent with my nose in a book.

I grew a beard, dressed like a wizard for a couple months (because I was at home, doing research 5 days a week) but being the Leaside Gandalf got boring and so the magic and beard are gone.

I went back to teach ESL while I am in school - I love the kids and it's as close to travelling as I can get while living on that student budget for another term. The end is in sight and then I will get out and explore again.

My ambitious goal for 2015 was find work that made me happy: success.

My less ambitious goal for 2016 is to learn a song on the violin: first class booked.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
i learned to surf this year too, but in portugal. scratch that, i tried. i was pretty terrible, but i loved every minute of it. i want to learn properly and go for a longer session, not just one day.
Yeah the first day was definitely challenging with getting the fundamentals and timing right to actually catch a wave and get up on the board. Luckily I got to spend a few days with it and it got easier to the point where I'm already eager to give it another go. Unfortunately my 2016 travel plans will not be heading anywhere this will allow. 2017 on the other hand....

^^ cats ARE awesome ;)
Congrats on the new addition to your home..;)
Thanks!