• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2015 Federal Election.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
It's that time of year!

It's like superbowl for me. I dug Harper in the end, but I think Mulcair is going to win it.

I'll still vote liberal though, because I'm a hugest Chrétien, and Martin fanboy.

Stop Bill C-10

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Sorry bud, didn't see it.

Still needs a mainstream thread. Can't bury it in the politics thread.

Last edited:

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
This has been the most interesting, disaster-ridden election I've seen so far. I'm also surprised the Liberals are making a comeback of some sorts.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
This has been the most interesting, disaster-ridden election I've seen so far. I'm also surprised the Liberals are making a comeback of some sorts.
Aside from the ever approaching fact that Trudeau could very well lose his own riding.
Harper said if he loses, even by one seat, he's finished. Somehow, i can't believe him ( i don't know why :rolleyes: ) that he won't form a coalition with Trudeau.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i tried telling him, i really did. he considered the Politics room ' buried '.
i personally think he's just looking for attention.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
why do you care? We can have a general election thread for the general folks, and a politics election thread for the elite

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am perturbed that they are keeping Elizabeth may out of the debates. She seems like the smartest one of the bunch and that is probably why. She made the most sense in her only debate at the beginning of this campaign - it is a shame she won't be included in more.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I've always hated that exclusion!

And its not like a Republican primary where you have issues with space on the stage fitting them all in, we're talking about a 4th podium.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I have not decided yet how to vote.

My riding (Don Valley West) is, according to the Toronto Star, likely the most ethnically and economically diverse riding in the country. Don Valley West: The vote of many colours | Toronto Star

Our current MP is Conservative (John Carmichael), who was elected in 2011. Prior to him, the MP was Liberal (Rob Oliphant), who held the post during 2008-2011. Both of these men are running in the upcoming MP election.

I normally lean toward NDP, but the candidate in our riding (Syeda Riaz) seems very inexperienced (her goal is to one day attend law school), which is disappointing. Syeda Riaz for Don Valley West « Canada's NDP

I have donated money to Olivia Chow's NDP campaign (Spadina-Fort York), and think that Tom Mulcair is doing well in the first debates, but I am having a hard time voting for an MP candidate that does not seem as qualified as the other candidates.

Would you vote for an inexperienced MP solely to help the Prime Minister candidate?

I am also turned off by the NDP's pledge to eliminate the stock options "tax loophole," as I think that is unfair and will not result in the tax revenue promised. For those who don't know, stock options give holders the ability to buy shares in their employer company for a pre-determined amount, so those employees get to profit from the increase in share value of their company. Currently, the money earned when stock options are exercised are taxed the same way capital gains are taxed, meaning 50% of the earnings amount is taxed as income. This makes sense, in my view, as (i) the earnings are closer to capital gains (i.e. increase in share/property value) than income and (ii) unlike income, the company does not get a tax deduction on the amount paid out to stock option holders.

Mulcair keeps saying that "eliminating the stock option loophole" will save the country $750 million per year, but he is ignoring the fact that, if the earnings are treated and taxed as regular income, then the company paying out the money will also get the new tax deduction associated with the income payment. NDP would close tax loophole on stock option earnings, Thomas Mulcair says | Toronto Star

Mulcair also keeps saying that stock options are reserved for CEOs and the mega-rich, which is not so. My company gives stock options to many levels of employees, as do other companies, as (i) a stock option plan incentivizes all levels of employee to work to improve the value of the company and (ii) it helps to retain employees as employees generally lose their stock options if they leave the company.

I get that the NDP wants to fight income inequality, and I support that. I just wish they would do so by doing something more sensible, like increasing the marginal tax rate (and other higher tax rates) for EVERYONE, as opposed to singling out stock option holders in a way that does not make sense.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Would you vote for an inexperienced MP solely to help the Prime Minister candidate?

if it was a marginal seat in a marginal election, then I would. Otherwise it makes sense to punish the party for fielding a crap candidate (or reward another for fielding a good one).

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
ok, for starters, enough with this "There's already a thread in the Politics room", cuz nobody goes there.

B: Elections Canada warns staff to watch out for 'voter suppression' tactics | Election 2015

Both the Supreme Court and Elections Canada are on the watch for more Cunt Harper tactics.

... Anyhoo, honestly, I'd rather vote Libs, but the NDP is still the way to go in Kebek. Anyways, this election is about, AnyOne But Harper. So I go where the wind blows.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
ok, for starters, enough with this "There's already a thread in the Politics room", cuz nobody goes there.

B: Elections Canada warns staff to watch out for 'voter suppression' tactics | Election 2015

Both the Supreme Court and Elections Canada are on the watch for more Cunt Harper tactics.

... Anyhoo, honestly, I'd rather vote Libs, but the NDP is still the way to go in Kebek. Anyways, this election is about, AnyOne But Harper. So I go where the wind blows.

Way to think for yourself. I hear the Blue Jays are winning too.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I learned in my studies that most people vote in a very locally-oriented manner - what benefits them. So I learned that the evidence pointed to the fact that voters aren't really ideological or society-minded as regards to voting for a polic position. So regardless of these issues that are alarming it comes down to what khuba has stated, in that how the policy position directly affects you is what is most important to a voter.

I have seen the empiral evidence to support this, And I would vote immediately and campaign for a party who would put cash money $250 in my pocket tomorrow.