• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2014 Oscar Predictions

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
So I've now seen most of the main films that are getting into award contention, except for Inside Llweyn Davis, Her, Blue is the Warmest Colour and Nebraska.

The Oscar nominations come out on Jan 16th.

My predictions so far:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave) or Alfonso Cuoron (Gravity)
Best Actor: Chewitel Ejifor (12 Years a Slave) or Matthew McCaughnehey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
Best Original Screenplay: Inside Llwelyn Davis or Gravity

acheron

TRIBE Member
BXvFO0i.png

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
12 Years a Slave will probably come out on top in both nominations and probably wins, more slated towards the prime categories like acting and directing.

I think Gravity will score a directing nomination, but won't win except for the technical and special effects shit, possibly editing as well.

Last edited:

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I've seen 'Gravity' and '12 Years A Slave', and out of the two I'd like to see Steve McQueen win Best Director. 'Gravity' was good, but I didn't find it all that mind-blowing. Too be fair, I saw it from a dvd screener - I can't go see it in a theatre (back issues), so I can only think that most of what was superb about it was the cinematography and 3D. The cinematography in 2D was excellent. Sandra Bullock annoyed me.

'12 Years A Slave was brilliant. I only planned to watch a part of it last night, and stayed up much later than planned because it was so good. I really hope Chewitel Ejifor wins. I was actually worried about watching it.

A co-worker who saw it at TIFF warned me it was a very tough movie to watch, and that I might find it difficult. Maybe he thinks I'm a softy (Actually, I know he does), but I wasn't all that surprised by what I saw. I've read numerous books and seen numerous films on slavery, so perhaps I was more prepared than some. It was horrendous, but it needs to be shown. I was surprised to see (after reading articles on it today), that some critics left the theatre. Why? What was on film wasn't nearly as bad as what it was actually like. That was just a brief glimpse. They didn't even show the African slaving ships, or what happened to those who tried to escape (and were torn apart by dogs).. or the breeding sheds..

At 11 years old, my mom and I watched 'Roots'. For an 11 year old that was a pretty tough watch (and my mom asked if I was ok with it, which I was. I was shocked, but I wanted to know. It was important), but to this day I will never forget it or Kunta Kinte. I bought the dvd set last summer and re-watched them all.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i enjoyed both GRAVITY and 12 YEARS A SLAVE and think that GRAVITY is the more significant accomplishment and the better movie.

i agree that, while 12 YEARS A SLAVE was very well done, it was not as shocking as i'd expected after seeing other films on slavery and human brutality such as AMISTAD, GLORY, ROOTS, LINCOLN, SCHINDLER'S LIST, NANKING and the like. it was an excellent movie with very good performances and complex characters.

GRAVITY was the movie/experience that completely blew me away in 2013. i told all of my friends and family about it, saw it twice on the big IMAX screen and just loved everything about it. GRAVITY is in my top ten movie-going experiences of all time.

some complain that GRAVITY is light on plot, but that's not the point of the movie and is a bit like complaining that there's too much talking in LINCOLN.

GRAVITY is also the best reviewed film of the year and possibly of all time. according to rotten tomatoes, GRAVITY is at 97% with an average rating of 9.1, while 12 YEARS A SLAVE is at 96% with an average rating of 9.0.

i would *love* to see GRAVITY win for best movie, best director and best actress, and am dismayed by the fact that 12 YEARS A SLAVE is likely the favourite in the oscar race.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Nominations are out:

2014 Oscar Nominees | 86th Academy Awards Nominations

Mostly predictable.

I guess the biggest surprises are Inside Llewlyn Davis got almost entirely shut out. Nothing for picture/director/screenplay/actor.

Her got a Best Picture nomination (well deserved, IMO)

After finally seeing Blue Is the Warmest Colour, completely disappointed that it didn't get nominated for Foreign Film, and even more disappointed that it's lead Adèle Exarchopoulos didn't get nominated. Her acting in that was the best I've seen this year for an actress along with Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine. It really is ridiculous for Meryl Streep to get nominated for the millionth time and not the incredible performance by Adele. Her co-star Lea Seydoux also deserved a nomination too. Both robbed, nothing for Blue is the Warmest Colour. Maybe the 3 hour run time and long sex scene turned off the Oscar voters.

Otherwise the nominations are very predictable.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
haven't seen Blue Is..., but to be fair Meryl is pretty amazing in Osage County. Yes it can annoying to see her nominated every year but she's just flat out better than almost everyone so that's gonna happen

Bo! Called the Gravity best director nomination!

I was pleasantly surprised to see The Grandmaster being nominated for some technical awards - it's a gorgeous film, but I didn't think the Academy would have noticed the film.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Nominations are out:

After finally seeing Blue Is the Warmest Colour, completely disappointed that it didn't get nominated for Foreign Film, and even more disappointed that it's lead Adèle Exarchopoulos didn't get nominated. Her acting in that was the best I've seen this year for an actress along with Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine. It really is ridiculous for Meryl Streep to get nominated for the millionth time and not the incredible performance by Adele. Her co-star Lea Seydoux also deserved a nomination too. Both robbed, nothing for Blue is the Warmest Colour. Maybe the 3 hour run time and long sex scene turned off the Oscar voters.

also "Before Midnight" and actress Julie Delphy got totally shut out, in this otherwise critics' darling film

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
yep, I think she deserved a nod for Actress too. She was great in it.

but she did get nominated along with Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater for Best Screenplay for Before Midnight.

erika

TRIBE Member
Gravity was wonderful for the first 5 minutes and pretty boring thereafter (and I saw it in Imax 3 d). Yes it's a technical achievement, but I don't think that makes a movie.

Given the Golden Globe results, I hope 12 years a slave doesn't get AS snubbed.

Bruce Dern might get best actor because it's time.

I would take Judi Dench in Philomena over Cate Blanchett (and I love Cate Blanchett).

That's all I can say so far!

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Leto...sounds like he'll win. He was fine, but I have to say there was nothing there that people like Terrence Stamp, PSH and Felicity Huffman didn't do better.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I have to ask if you watched the film. I'm not denying that Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Felicity Huffman and Terrance Stamp didn't do amazing work. "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", will always be one of my favourite movies.

But if you can't see that his performance was at least en par (and even better, more poignant in some cases), I don't know what to say. I watched, "My So-Called Life." The movie however blew me away. I had no idea who the actor was until someone told me after. I didn't recognize him.