• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2014-2015 NBA/Raps Thread

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Big draft this Thursday.

And in other news, Lebron will exercise his early opt out clause. The Decision II brought to you by Vitamin Water coming soon.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
I'm pumped for the NBA draft tonight - excited to see all the trades and who ends up with the Canadian kids. I think Cleveland takes Wiggins number 1.

No idea who the Raptors are looking at, but would love to see hometown kid Nik Stauskas fall to wherever we are drafting.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Seriously they just picked a guy they could've had in the second round. Adam Silver couldn't even pronounce his name. Also decribed as "2 years away from 2 years away"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Obvious Hoffa Araujo jokes aside, the reason we got Masai was to go off-piste with his trades and draft selections. He's supposed to be one of the shrewdest talent evaluators in the game -- the Anti-Babcock, as it were -- so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

The Brazilian Kevin Durant? I can get behind a long-shot pick like that.

Did anyone see the tweets about Lowry asking for a sign and trade to Miami, with Bosh coming back? Man, I really don't want the Raps to lose Lowry, but can you blame him? If you were in his position and had the chance to play with LeBron in Miami vs. in Toronto for probably the same money and term, what would you do?

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Dear lord, I was watching Bruno Cobraclo's scouting video and who they hell did I see on his team? Oh yes, Hoffa!

Go to the 1:03 mark of this video. I recognized that ugly shoulder tat.

DraftExpress Video - Bruno Caboclo 2014 Scouting Video

To make sure I wasn't hallucinating this I checked the roster and, yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esporte_Clube_Pinheiros_(basketball)

How the hell do we keep Hoffa away from Bruno! We don't want his taint to rub off on young Bruno. Do the Raptors even have a D-League team to ship him off to?

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I have to trust in Masai and the video on this kid looks like he could be quite the player in a few years.

I feel Lowry is history which if so fuck him and also I would return all my Raps gear instantly if Bosh came anywhere near this Roster again

octo

TRIBE Member
the only way that pick makes sense is if they're trying to avoid having a first round draft pick's salary on the books for cap purposes this year. and even then, how much would a 20th pick make?

if the spurs wanted him at 30, then they could have swapped picks with miami and at least gotten a ball rack in return.

what if lowry bolts? vasquez starting? smh

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
the only way that pick makes sense is if they're trying to avoid having a first round draft pick's salary on the books for cap purposes this year. and even then, how much would a 20th pick make?

Casey said they plan on keeping him on the roster this season so that theory doesn't make sense.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
when that report came out last night with his instagram picture in the old school Raps jersey I was so happy and as much as I am not sold on Vasquez if we get him back with Lowry and Lou Willams as the 6th man spark plug that would be badass

I wish we could get Ed Davis back but qualifying offer is out to Patterson which I don't think they want to lose him

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Lowry resigning with the Raps is huge. I know he got more money and a way better deal to choose Toronto, but he still passed up offers from Miami, Houston and the Lakers. Those are three marquee NBA teams, and Lowry choosing Toronto sends a message that some top players in fact do want to play in Toronto now. That wasn't the case for a long time.

It sort of feels like when Vince resigned that summer, and then we got Olajuwon and we were all like Jonny Manziel making the money, money, money hands in the air, and then the team sucked. We all remember that. This feels different though. The Raps are still really young and will only get better as they gel as a unit. East is still weak. Future is bright!

money-shot.jpg

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I'd rather keep Patterson than Ed Davis.

Wonder what will happen in Miami. Fabricated drama or for real? I'd laugh so hard if Bron/Wade throw Bosh under the bus. Get him to opt out and sign someone else.

And what happened with Kidd and the Nets? He jumped ship to join the Bucks? Weird.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
they traded Kidd there is some inside crap with pres and owners that caused the Kidd trade

I hear ya on the Patterson Davis thing I just love ED

Lowry did not get better money to come here if you ask me, that is his market value which he probably confirmed by entertaining other offers to make sure he knew what he should be getting from the Raptors..

I stopped believing in that players don't want to stay in Toronto BS long ago I did not think this Lowry deal will scream anything to the league about our city that already hasn't been done by getting the proper people in place to make this a winning franchise in all facets not just on the court.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I thought Kidd wanted to be head of Basketball Operations as well as Head Coach. He wanted full control and Brooklyn wouldn't give it to him.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I think so and even during the season he said something along the lines of someone should be above the pres pulling string it shouldn't be him alone

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Lowry resigning with the Raps is huge. I know he got more money and a way better deal to choose Toronto, but he still passed up offers from Miami, Houston and the Lakers. Those are three marquee NBA teams, and Lowry choosing Toronto sends a message that some top players in fact do want to play in Toronto now. That wasn't the case for a long time.

It sort of feels like when Vince resigned that summer, and then we got Olajuwon and we were all like Jonny Manziel making the money, money, money hands in the air, and then the team sucked. We all remember that. This feels different though. The Raps are still really young and will only get better as they gel as a unit. East is still weak. Future is bright!

Win/Win. We got to keep Lowry and didn't overpay to keep him. Previous management would've given him something like a 5 year/$70m contract. Props to Masai for playing this cool and getting him locked up early and for the right price.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Yes! Pretty much the right price. Could have maybe got him for $15 but would have been a riskier move and he's only 24.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
seems Vasquez deal is up next....

Once the Vasquez deal is done, Toronto will only have one roster spot left and likely less than $5 million in space below the luxury tax to add the last piece.

One way to open up more room would be to use the stretch waive provision, which would allow a player (likely Landry Fields or Steve Novak), to be bought out, with the buyout stretching over several seasons, creating more cap room right away (ie. Novak's $7.1 million would be paid over the next five seasons, or $1.42 million a season).