• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

2012: the year electronic music broke

JamesM

TRIBE Member
What's wrong with making money? WEMF I'm sure is nothing like it was 10 years ago and certainly nothing like it was in the late 90's when I attended. I might be wrong but isn't it just like any big music festival now: expensive, crowded, mixed crowd, less PLUR?
nothing wrong with making money..

It's just that I'd probably never go again b/c I wouldn't last 10 seconds listening to that sort of "techno and house" brought to the big stage.

Andy C, D&B stage from what I saw on youtube almost looks as exactly as it would 10 years ago.

Maybe the music survived because they didn't allow it to be ruined.

hmm, If they transplanted the echo stage from digital dreams into wemf I'd totally probably get out there at least one more time.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
What are you even talking about dude? Not to single you out (because everyone here seems to be doing it), but the house and techno scenes are thriving and varied right now. If you think everything is Aviici and Afrojack it's just because you're out of the scene and aren't exposed to new music anymore.

I saw Nautiluss play at Cherry Beach last Sunday and he played one of the most fun sets I've heard in a long time. Stripped down, bassy, oldschool garagey house straight out of Bristol (think Julio Bashmore et al). The crowd ate it up, from hippies to ginos to hip-hoppers. Not to mention this weekend there's Pezzner playing on Friday, and Sugar Beach has one of the best house lineups I've seen in years in this city (Soul Clap, Lee Foss, The Juan Maclean, Pat Mahoney, Matthew Dear, etc), and I guarantee you won't hear any of the mainstream dance music you're describing (which I agree is mostly garbage).

If you don't want to hear bro-house, don't go to bro-house parties. Simple as that.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
fair enough.

well between wemf in previous years before the neon invasion. You could still catch traditional house/techno variants there, and it was great..

hmm, but the echo stage really opened your eyes putting modern techno and house of the non-neon variety on display with those kind of numbers was just great.

In the end I hope It can stay on exhibition and can penetrate the festival scene if it's now growing in Canada, and I hope the neon invasion doesn't dictate it moving forward, and what was echo beach isn't left behind as a one hit wonder..

As far as checking out Jams, yes.. You can still catch quality shit everywhere, I am aware.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I've always found festivals like a buffet - interesting sampling of a variety of stuff but you're not get prime rib.

Unless it's the mandarin and then my metaphor just falls apart.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
The music at WEMF kinda sucked in my opinion although I pretty much missed most of the acts I wanted to see due to being stuck at my own stage most of the time.

Everywhere I walked it was dubstep/brostep/jungle. I sneaked out for a bit on Sat morning to check out Krafty Kuts. As soon as he played some dubstep...I left.

Brostep is taking over man. It must be stopped.

vinder

TRIBE Member
i've had fun at varied events this year (mostly outdoor as people seem to be way more up for it), when i'm clearly one of the older people there. my tastes have also changed over time, but i actually like a lot of the newer electronic music coming out, along with some of the pop-EDM stuff - it's just fun. i'm too old to be wasting my time chinstroking, i just want to dance.

praktik

TRIBE Member
i'm too old to be wasting my time chinstroking, i just want to dance.
Haha nice!

Ya me too kinda. At weddings recently when the top 40 that has a backing dance beat come on I am happy that we are past the Bon Jovi medley and into something danceable.. so ya Katy Perry, LMFAO, Rihanna, Chris Brown - bring it on... I wanna dance!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
holy shit I can't fucking wait to get my ass out to a 3 day rave festival and hear me some justin beiber brostep!

fucking a!

:(

JamesM

TRIBE Member
when in doubt, ask urban dictionary!

Brostep is the horrible trend that almost destroyed the beautiful sounds that were once called "dubstep."

Dubstep was once a wonderful, unique sound.

Eventually, everyone and their brother (even the best DJs we once looked up to), decided to RUIN dubstep by turning it into the most trendy music ever.

Brostep is played in venues where boys are often seen to and enjoy dancing with each other.... shirtless.

Brosteppers (those who engage in Brostep), do not know anything about the EDM scene, are unable to name a single DJ, are armed with an arsenal of glowsticks, and will listen to whatever horrible promoter tells them to follow.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
i've had fun at varied events this year (mostly outdoor as people seem to be way more up for it), when i'm clearly one of the older people there. my tastes have also changed over time, but i actually like a lot of the newer electronic music coming out, along with some of the pop-EDM stuff - it's just fun. i'm too old to be wasting my time chinstroking, i just want to dance.
I saw pics of vinderloo recently...shit, where was that...some site from a party...I was like "vindeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer"

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
The state of "EDM" right now pretty much blows me away. I thought for years that the electronic music scene was for sure dying. Too bad I'm too lazy and tired to actually go to these festivals now.

Anyway I was just pondering today actually whether the people that get into "the scene" now and go to these massive festivals would consider themselves "ravers". Do they even refer to them as raves? Is it even a scene anymore or would someone just say they are going to see some dj's? Also more importantly, do I sound super lame and old right now?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
latest from deadmouse.. it's doing the reel steel movie thing there with the huge robots..

it's alight as a billboard pop track.