• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

[2010-2011] NBA/Raptors Thread

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Hmmm Danny Ferry no longer the GM of Cavs. It was a "mutual decision".

Ah the drama in Cleveland and the NBA as a whole this off season is fan-freakin-tastic.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Ah, your a fool lead by fantasy basketball stats.

He does not distribute the ball in a stunning way, his TO/ASS ratio on paper is a miss conception that can be found when digging a little deeper and seeing where and who he passes the ball to the most and...
I beg to differ on me being a fool. I've been involved in the game in all forms (player, coach, official) in some form or another since I was two. I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about, but whatever...

I think he does his job well. Honestly I think the Raps have bigger problems than who plays at point.

Their biggest problem is the Big Turk. He's cancer.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
i disagree, one of their biggest problems is at the point. they have way too much money tied up there and the reality is that neither one of their point guards has proved to be a good starter for a whole season.

you look around the league and the point guard has become one of the most important roles on a team. there's been numerous articles written backing this up.

but with all that said, i don't mind calderon but i just don't think he's right for this team anymore.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I beg to differ on me being a fool. I've been involved in the game in all forms (player, coach, official) in some form or another since I was two. I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about, but whatever...

I think he does his job well. Honestly I think the Raps have bigger problems than who plays at point.

Their biggest problem is the Big Turk. He's cancer.
Your a player/coach?, then you should see all the things he doesn't do well.
He doesn't drive, he rarely gets into the paint, isn't a good distributor of the ball unless it's 5 foot passes to 17-20 foot jump shooters, He can't create his own shot, never able to dish the ball when driving i.e NEVER passes the ball in traffic, hence the low turnover numbers. He actually slows the game down to a pathetic pace of walking the ball up court with high dribbles then picks up the ball early and looks for a man to get open, PG should never pick up a ball until a pass is going to be made, makes it to easy on the D. Speaking of D His defense is HORRIBLE and not bad like some others in the league I mean opposing PG's numbers are always better then what they average when faced against Calderon, and I quiver when ever I hear that so many other PG play bad D, yeah some do some don't and the one's who do i.e Nash play at such a level at the other end that his ball handling on the offense is almost a form of defense by keeping the ball out of the other PG hands.

Oh man I could go on and on, but Starvin Marvin will go find out who I am and shot me, just so he doesn't have to read about it anymore...lol.

Anyhow he is a serviceable PG, who is over paid to do what he does and played over his head for a 12 month period. He is perfectly suited being the 2nd option off the bench. Which is why that's were he played for most of the season.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Interesting Raps/Cavs rumour:

Looks like the Toronto Raptors could have some interest in Williams.

Tweets Sam Amico of NBA.com: "Trade talk involving Mo Williams mostly involves Toronto. Nothing serious at this stage. Delonte West is a goner for sure."

And Bob Finnan of the News-Herald writes: "If the Cavs decide to trade Mo Williams, one possible destination could be Toronto in exchange for Jose Calderon."

But Doug Smith of the Toronto Star adds this on the Williams-Calderon swap: "Word I got on this one was: Forget it, put it out of your mind. So I will."

Nothing seems imminent or likely at this point, but these reports seem to indicate the Raptors and Cavs have at least been chatting.

--
According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Cavaliers are "testing the trade value" of Mo Williams.

The Cavs are also said to be looking into a trade partner for Delonte West, who's set to make $4.6 million next year, but is guaranteed only $500,000 if he's waived by Aug. 5, making him a money saver for a potential new team.

Williams, whose contract runs for three more years and $26 million, doesn't have as attractive a contract.

But he's proven to be an effective scorer for the Cavs during his run with the team as LeBron James' right-hand man, so he does have value.

If the Cavs are shopping West and Williams, it's possible they may be looking for a guard or two in return to keep the roster balance even.
Also, I found this pretty hilarious. I guess Jay-Z isn't as pimp as I thought he was:

Jay-Z is not only good friends with LeBron James, but he's also a minority owner in the New Jersey Nets. According to the New York Daily News, Jay-Z told Rolling Stone that he won't try to persuade James to sign with the Nets.

"That's his decision," he said. "We're friends -- we've still gotta hang out! I don't want to convince somebody to do something, then have to see him and say, 'Uh, yeah, we're 4-30 ...sorry.'"

Jay-Z says he'll let the clubs new billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov due all the recruiting and recalled his first meeting with the Russian at the Four Seasons hotel.

"I'd been staying there for 10 years, and I always thought I was at the top level," Jay-Z said. "But when I met Prokhorov, they took me up to this extra, extra room that I had never even heard of before. Now there's something else to shoot for. There's always an extra level you don't know about."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I"m pretty sure this will happen as well. It allows Bron to still be the hometown hero and if it doesn't work in 3 years, the fans won't hold it against him.

Another day and more speculation as to what the future holds for LeBron James. In today's New York Post we read in Peter Vecsey's column that someone thinks James will sign a three-year deal with Cleveland and then bolt to Brooklyn if the Cavs have not won a championship by then.

Vecsey writes: "An appreciably well-wired roundball entrepreneur believes LeBron James will re-up with the Cavaliers for three years, a possibility he almost certainly would not entertain had Mike Brown been retained -- something GM Danny Ferry fiercely advocated doing, hence his resignation. Should no championships be churned out during that time frame, my source is convinced LBJ will bolt for Jay-Z's Brooklyn with a clear conscience, figuring he gave Cleveland a full decade."

Most writers bring up the six-year and five-year max deals that James will be offered, but there's a good chance that he, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh only sign deals that allow them to become free agents after three years. They would attain the status of a Full-Bird free agent and it would allow them to sign longer deals in their late 20's, since they may not get a max deal in their early 30's.

They could also follow Tim Duncan's philosophy and just sign shorter deals, which gives flexibility in regards to staying with their team or signing elsewhere every few seasons if it doesn't work out for them.

Snapper

TRIBE Member
So Turkoglu wants to go back to Sacramento. The first name coming back is Nocioni. Anyway we can package a deal for Landry? Or are we good at PF with Bargs?

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
its all over the place TSN, Yahoo Sports, Raptors Republic....everywhere sir just type in a toronto sports website and click basketball it will hit you in the face

mute79

TRIBE Member
nocioni would be considered a downgrade, but i would rather have him coming off the bench than el turko in the starting rotation..

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Have the Raptors inquired about Sixers and Net's picks?

The Pacers and Raptors are in the same boat as the Wolves. They would like to move up in the draft and have inquired about the Sixers' and Nets' picks. They also wouldn't mind moving out of the draft if they got the right pieces in return.

Chad Ford ESPN INSIDER

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I read somewhere that the Raps could trade Calderone to Philly for the #2 pick since Philly needs a true PG and Philly doesn't really need Favors or Turner. I just don't see that deal happening.

This offseason will be really interesting though, I think we'll see a ton of moves made come draft day.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Well why it could make sense, is that the Sixer's were not suppose to be this bad AND the Nets will want a quick turn around with the new owner. Neither team "needs" Turner, although he is going to be a good building block.

Calderon and perhaps DD could make it happen

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
DD???

Interesting. But I'm reluctant. So you get the second pick, build the guy up then watch him leave when he's a free agent?

I rather see Calderon and JJ both gone for established NBA ready players with contracts in place over the next 3-4 years so they can't leave.

And as you know I want the Raps to sign Raymond Felton. I also think Magloire would be cheap and a good second option at center. Maybe playing at home for the last years would rejuvenate him a bit.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Magloire has never shown an interest in playing here and wouldn't even be a 2nd option of the bench at this point.

I'd rather Calderon over Felton who look miserable and lost in that 1st round.

What makes you think Turner or some one like that would leave after 4 years?
And please please PLEASE don't use the stupid argument about players not wanting to play here, it's myth.

p.s. Both Carter AND Bosh re-uped here along with others not named Mcgrady.

DD = last years 9th overall pick.

P.S.S. JJ is established and has 4 years left.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
At least Felton got to the playoffs (lol)

I don't buy the "not wanting to play here" excuse either, but history has shown that any Raptor of significance regardless if they re-signed or not has stayed.

Carter
McGrady
CAMBY
Stoudamire
Bosh*

Imagine that starting 5

DD (lol) totally forgot.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Jamal Magloire??!! LOL... dude is slower than molases and not a starting 5 in the NBA by any means. Plus dude is too cool to play for team canada. "call me when we qualify for the olympics" haha, give me a break. Maybe when Patrick O'Bryant's contract expires JM can take his place at the end of the bench.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
At least Felton got to the playoffs (lol)

I don't buy the "not wanting to play here" excuse either, but history has shown that any Raptor of significance regardless if they re-signed or not has stayed.

Carter
McGrady
CAMBY
Stoudamire
Bosh*

Imagine that starting 5

DD (lol) totally forgot.
Carter was a bitch and so was Tracy. Camby was constantly injured and didn't develop into the all-star he is until after 4 years with the Knicks. Stoudamire was traded. And as for Bosh I'd say it's a 50/50 split that people actually care that he's leaving plus he put in 7 years here. Not many players put in 7 years with the same club. And also that starting 5 would be guaranteed to miss at least a quarter of the season due to injury.