1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

[2010-2011] NBA/Raptors Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mute79, May 20, 2010.

1. mute79

mute79 TRIBE Member

Since we now know that we're drafting in the 13th spot, we need a new thread..

2. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

no we did not, playoffs are not over

you fail at life:p

3. mute79

mute79 TRIBE Member

as if the playoffs influence the raptors draft choice for next year

the fail is you :eek:

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Except this is not a thread about only the Raptors.

5. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Calderon still is over rated in this thread to :p

6. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

Zorro thinks he knows all Version 2.0 :p

7. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

LOL.

At least the outside world is now on board, to bad the tribe world is still isolated around that little spic's nut sack.

8. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

raptors 2010-11 season will = fail.

9. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

I'm waiting to see if BC can live up to the persona and be creative.

Personally I focus on the team rather then Bosh, make strong pitches to other players who might complement each other and the Raptors. Get rid of baggage and extra parts, i.e one of the PG's. Sell this team HARD. The Raptors were once a PROUD AND POPULAR team back when Oakley was banging Carters mom and before Delonte West left the Bayou and was a sparkle in Miss James eye.

I don't buy the silly argument that players don't want to come here, show them you can AND will be competitive, will do anything in your power to build a winner, and of course show them the money.

The best news about Lebron going to a Chicago let's say is that he isn't going to team that wasn't already in the playoffs, without Lebron the Cavs struggle to make it in.

10. bboyrds

bboyrds TRIBE Member

It's not a silly argument, it's based on a long history of the Raptors unable to draw big name interest.

Off the top of my head here are the top 3 free agent sigings:
    1. Hedo Turkoglu
    2. Mark Jackson
    3. Hakeem Olajuwon (39 yrs old??)

Players don't want to come here BECAUSE we CAN'T show them we will be competitive.

11. bboyrds

bboyrds TRIBE Member

Actually throw Jarret Jack into that list...probably at #2.

And if Jack is in your top 3 of free agents signed...enough said.

12. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Was Jalen Rose a FA signing? And don't forget we signed Yogy Stewart!

13. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Hot off the presses!

Sign and Trade Bosh for Kobe. Done.

14. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

interesting.

I guess this is the end of Rupaul. Why else would he submit a list of teams?

Thanks but no thanks. I say let him walk cause' we won't get anywhere close to value and he won't get max and the extra year.

15. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

fuck doing it for spite. getting something back is better than nothing. too bad it's not the rockets, those guys are hustlers, would've been nice to see some of them here. i also say let the man go, in 2-3 years he'll be injured more often than not.

16. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

No it is a silly argument, why? Because why don't you also list all the "big names" to sign and move to other teams.

The NBA has one of the lowest if not the lowest "big name" player movement via free agency.

So when I say it's a silly argument, I mean it in the case of signaling out the Raptors in particular.

17. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I know but it would be nice.

So out of Heat, NY, Chi and LA who can offer us the best package?

NY has nooooo one
    Chi has noooooo one
    Heat have Beasley
    LA has Gasol but Bynom is an injury proned MF

18. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

and another thing.........

Why do people say the Bosh dosn't owe Toronto anything?

I think its the opposite. Bosh should be grateful.

I think its time to have 5 solid team players on the court and forget getting a bonifiyed superstar. That philosophy hasn't worked.

19. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

I also could care less about a sign and trade and think the Raptors need to worry about the Raptors and not people who are about to be ex Raptors.

20. bboyrds

bboyrds TRIBE Member

While I agree that it doesn't happen too often, I guess you have to determine what we mean by "big name". In any case here is a quick list of FA signings...this list doesn't include FAs that decide to resign with their previous team...

I think there is a growing trend in recent years of big FA names on the move.

Lakers 1996 - Shaq
    Hawks 1996 - Dikembe Mutombo
    Heat 1996 – Tim Hardaway
    Knicks 1996 – Allan Houston
    Kings 1999 – Vlade Divac
    Timberwolves 1999 – Joe Smith
    Magic 2000 – Tracy McGrady
    Magic 2000 – Grant Hill
    Pistons 2002 – Chauncey Billups
    Wizards 2003 – Gilbert Arenas
    Suns – 2004 – Steve Nash
    Nuggets 2004 – Kenyon Martin
    Jazz 2004 – Carlos Boozer
    Bulls 2006 – Ben Wallace
    Sixers 2008 – Elton Brand
    Clippers 2008 – Baron Davis
    Hornets 2008 – Peja Stojakovic
    Celtics 2009 – Rasheed Wallace
    Bulls 2009 – Ben Gordon

21. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Funny almost all those signings have been complete busts and their previous team was smart to let them go.

22. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

First I agree there is a growing trend, a new generation a new thought process, sort of like FA in MLB in the early 90's.

However your list does included players like Wallace, who with all do respect is past his prime and others that might be a name now but were not when they signed or perhaps a risky sign.

For example although younger Elton Brand signing with the Sixers was the same risk as Hakeem signing with the Raptors.

Truth be told only Shaq AND Nash stick out to me in that list. However Nash was returning to his former team AND BC had made a shrewd move by giving up on the playoffs by trading Marbury in hopes of signing Nash.

NOBODY new what kinda of player Billups was about to be, Mcgrady didn't want to be 2nd fiddle. Boozer Fucked over the Cavs etc etc yada yada yada, and your list has 18 players in 14 years.

All I'm saying is other fans in other citys could claim the same sad story anout FA signing with their team, and the fact that the majority in years past stay with their current team.

It's not a personnel thing so don't take it that way, "it happens to everyone"...lol

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  23. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

other day i was watching orlando vs boston. put the game on pause, and this happens:

how appropriate

[​IMG]

24. mute79

mute79 TRIBE Member

no, what you just said was funny!

25. juice

juice TRIBE Member

I just got back from Chicago and based upon the people on the streets that I heard as well as the local media that I tuned into or read all of them are 100% convinced that LBJ is going to land there. Already figuring out where to place his statue in comparison to Jordans etc etc.