• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2007 Vw Gti

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
From all accounts the car is very tight. The 20T FSI engine cranks out some serious power, the interior is awesome, and VW finally got the handling right after years of losing track of what the GTI name means. The DSG transmission is simply incredible and has to be driven to be appreciated.

I used to own a 2000 GTI VR6 and this car is on my list. a 5 door model is due in June.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I think my ex has this...he's living in London, bought it while he was in Prague. I think they've been available in Europe for a year or two now, haven't they?

Of course, he's already modded it and squeaked out umpteen horse power. People are scared to ride with him in that car...

kuba

TRIBE Member
Yes they have been around for more than a year in europe.

On the weekend I finally saw one in person. Don't know if it was because I was in an SUV that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The car just loooks not as 'beefy' as I expected it to.

By all accounts, however, it drives as true-to-form as the original pocket rocket.

I'm not sold on the hood-roofline continuous slope.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Nice.
I'm considering getting a Jetta.

the mkii-mkiv Golf's do nothing for me. the mkV isn't that bad.
Pity we don't get the Leon/Octavia/A3 here. :(

kuba

TRIBE Member
Nick are you suggesting the Yaris looks like the GTi?

I'd say the SI-r hatchback is closer to the GTI than the Yaris.

(besides yaris vs gti is no argument)

I just priced one out- $522/month with $5K down 66 month finance at 3.9%,

The lease is 488/month for a 48-month lease with 10% down

very similar in price to the WRX (the sub is slightly higher)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
but how different do you want a hatch to look?

3 doors doesn't leave much room for creativity

Vise

TRIBE Member
A friend at work picked up a 2007 GTI a few weeks back and he loves it (mind you he is a VW nut). I've only been in it once but it seems nice enough... plus its getting great reviews. Price/performance wise its pretty solid as well. Personally I'd spend the extra $5k or so and get a WRX but thats just me.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
The Tesseract said:
Nice.
I'm considering getting a Jetta.

the mkii-mkiv Golf's do nothing for me. the mkV isn't that bad.
Pity we don't get the Leon/Octavia/A3 here. :(
The MkII Golf had the best power to weight ratio until the R32 came out. The MkI is still the lightest shell, but only by a hair over the MkII. The Polo and Lupo are closer to the original, if not better since they're lighter and produce more power. I would way prefer a Lupo GTi over a new Golf GTi.

We do get the Leon/Octavia and A3 here. They're all built on the Golf platform. The Octavia & Leon are VW Bora/Jetta's and the A3 is Audi's Golf, just upscale (like how the VW Passat is an Audi A4, just not as nice).

VW needs to turn their reliability around before they're going to be moving too many of these cars. The late 90's weren't kind to their reputation at all.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
VW needs to turn their reliability around before they're going to be moving too many of these cars. The late 90's weren't kind to their reputation at all.

Great car, If your going to get one make sure its new and get rid of it after 3 years. VW has a great habit of churning out fantastic cars that are miserable once the three year mark hits.

Which is really really hard for me to say as my 89 Cabrio went for 575,000 km on original engine and transmission.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Which is really really hard for me to say as my 89 Cabrio went for 575,000 km on original engine and transmission.
I hear ya.

The A1 and A2 bodied cars were almost bullet-proof. Sure they had their quirks and issues, but nothing like the bland A3 cars and the tempermental A4 bodies. They were light, tough, handled well, and you could make them pretty powerful by swapping motors from the newer cars into them since they all bolted together like building a Lego toy. They were great to learn on.

I miss mine :(

Up until a year or so ago, you could still buy an A1 (Rabbit here) shell, except you'd have to import it from South Africa.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
I hear ya.

The A1 and A2 bodied cars were almost bullet-proof. Sure they had their quirks and issues, but nothing like the bland A3 cars and the tempermental A4 bodies. They were light, tough, handled well, and you could make them pretty powerful by swapping motors from the newer cars into them since they all bolted together like building a Lego toy. They were great to learn on.

I miss mine :(

Up until a year or so ago, you could still buy an A1 (Rabbit here) shell, except you'd have to import it from South Africa.

Yeah its really crushing to see a great car go down hill into the pits of being the experimental devision of a company. However I do have to say I like the direction they have gone.

I really wish Canada would come to a sensible decision on the smaller car classes ion regards to what is and what isn't allowed to be imported. I'm personally a little miffed that I can bring in an old Fiat 500, or a current Smart 42 but not a Suzuki Capacino or a Mugen Beat. Also in regards to VW models.

I don't see how a suzuki swift is legal in Canada but not some of the other smaller cars.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Yeah its really crushing to see a great car go down hill into the pits of being the experimental devision of a company. However I do have to say I like the direction they have gone.

I really wish Canada would come to a sensible decision on the smaller car classes ion regards to what is and what isn't allowed to be imported. I'm personally a little miffed that I can bring in an old Fiat 500, or a current Smart 42 but not a Suzuki Capacino or a Mugen Beat. Also in regards to VW models.

I don't see how a suzuki swift is legal in Canada but not some of the other smaller cars.
I think a lot of it has to do with the companies involved and whether they see any need to bring certain models here and whether they will sell. north America has never liked really small cars on a large scale. With higher fuel prices and better performance, people are starting to see the light, but I don't think that there's enough of a market...yet.

I would love to see the Peugeot 106 GTi, The Renault Clio Cup, The Lupo & Polo GTi from VW to name a few. The main problem is that (for VW) the Lupo and Polo would compete within the brand with the Golf and Audi A3. The Renault and Peugeot would have to go one further and find distributors to sell their product.

slants

TRIBE Member
dsg wont be available till may but i've already made arrangements w my dealer to trade in my passat for one of these bad boys once theyre in ... cant wait!!!:D