• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2006-2007 Toronto Maple Leafs

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
billy said:
man. i thought you would be happy with berg and domi gone but no! why do you consistenly have to have a hate-on for two leafs every season (well, the two you have been on the board)? how about focussing on some players that are doing well?
do you not remember me getting in shit for saying the leafs are gonna do good and that the young guys are kicking ass?
and there were a lot more than two shit players on the team last year;)

kubina hasnt done anything to merit being called an offensive defenceman, i hope he finds his form or else we have two vastly overpaid d and one grossly underpaid(kaberle)

hopefully they lay a beating to the thrashers tonight:)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

2canplay

TRIBE Member
Can't believe no one has started this thread yet???

McCabe, 5 years, no trade clause. $25 million.

What. A. Joke.

Why do the Leafs continually do this kind of stuff?

Unreal.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Wow.

What a waste of money. I kinda see where he's coming from though, there aren't really that many good UFA defensemen this year.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
so pretty much jfj caved to all his demands...yay...jesus christ, the leafs need some true hockey minds running things
now that everyone has figured out how to shut mcrap down, he isnt even a one trick pony anymore

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
I don't think Redden and Chara signed yet? They're both FA's, though not sure if U/RFA.

They are and Ottawa can only afford one... Chara has been rumoured coming to T.O for a while now.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
They are and Ottawa can only afford one... Chara has been rumoured coming to T.O for a while now.
dont think they can afford him after signing mcrap
he is a passable d man, but def not worth that much

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Too much, but not suprising.

McCabe may be overrated by many Leaf fans, but this whole 'he sucks and cant defend' opinion has totally swung too far in the other direction, just as overblown in my opinion.

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
Hartford. Kinda a lost soul, but I love hockey, so I'm rooting for thier replacments:D
Loved it when they kicked the leafs out of the conference finals.:D
Besides thier lack of respect for thier fans, I have other personal reasons why I hate the organisation. (no I wasn't molested)

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Ah, I guess you like their colours as child.

Strong foundation for fandom, will you be passing that on to your kids? j/k

They really screwed their fans with playoff prices.

I'd like to see Rod get a cup, but not at the expense of the Oilers.

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
Honestly I'm torn on that as well.
At the start of the playoffs I was rooting for both, and they have both provided some of the best games I've ever watched! It's always so much better to watch when you have a team you are truly rooting for!

And I liked Hartford cuz I had met Mike Liut the first year I REALLY got into hockey in like grade 4 or 5. and I thought the H hidden in their logo was clever.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
OVERPAID! Fuck! What is the fucking deal here? Jesus. Gonchar pt II! Kaberle is the best d man we have and we're paying him a million and a quarter less (maybe more) for his faggot partner. Shit.

If anything this playoff has shown is that we need to simply get more mobile, more quick.

Maurice better be able to get somesort of workable D coach, b/c if we get another Rick Ley we're is big trouble.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
chara rumoured to go to nyr to join his slovak friends.

lidstrom- you can't sign him for five years. jovanovski- sure, he's good, but he's not offence-minded.

people, relax. it isn't the end of the world. 5M for a 20-goal scoring defenseman, and we still have tons of room under the cap.

chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
chara rumoured to go to nyr to join his slovak friends.

lidstrom- you can't sign him for five years. jovanovski- sure, he's good, but he's not offence-minded.

people, relax. it isn't the end of the world. 5M for a 20-goal scoring defenseman, and we still have tons of room under the cap.

chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil.
whatever guy, he scored almost all of those goals b4 ppl caught on to him, take the pass away or go str8 to him and he cant get the puck thru
this is a fuckin albatross around the leafs neck, JFJ shouldbe fuckin shot, pissed on and then traded to the fuckin blackhawks
no traide, no waive..WTF

pseudonoise

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
so pretty much jfj caved to all his demands...yay...jesus christ, the leafs need some true hockey minds running things
now that everyone has figured out how to shut mcrap down, he isnt even a one trick pony anymore

I disagree. The problem for him towards the end of the season was that his linemates were not punishing the opposition for playing so high in the slot on the powerplay. When that happened it should have been a scoring frenzy for all of the forwards (O'Niell especially); the only one who managed to take advantage of it was Sundin. Keep in mind also, that both Kaberle and McCabe had to play unholy amounts of icetime this year. 5M is not unreasonable for a guy who handles 28 minutes a game and scores. Redden and Chara are overrated, their numbers were inflated by the strength of their forwards, and still neither of them managed to beat McCabe in goals or assists.

I'm OK, but not thrilled, with this deal.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Bernnie Federko said:
OVERPAID! Fuck! What is the fucking deal here? Jesus. Gonchar pt II! Kaberle is the best d man we have and we're paying him a million and a quarter less (maybe more) for his faggot partner. Shit.

I couldn't agree more. IMO, with the new rules Kaberle is one of the top 5 or 7 defencemen in the league. $6 million is way too much for McCabe. I think JFJ's thought process is that in order to get a player that's better than McCabe (Lidstrom and Chara) they would have to fork out the maximum allowed which is probably $7 or 8 million per season; that's out of the question for the Leafs. Next they have to look at players at McCabe's level, which are Blake, Redden and Jovo. Blake is a little better than McCabe, but I don't think they can get him for $6 million. This leaves you with Jovo and Redden, at this price I'll probably go with McCabe. I think JFJ signed the best players available at that price, but it's not good value.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Oh! Pardon me! I meant to say "... for this faggot partner." I'd originally considered using "homosexual", but it didn't have the same ring to it. I wanted the foul language to give the opinion a garralous feel. I think it worked.

The thing that is most interesting here is that there exists a bit to this story that JFJ & MLSE are overpaying even McCabe's asking price. With that thrown into the mix I find this deal even more unpalatable.