• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2003 Camry vs. 2002 Prius

starr

TRIBE Member
So I'm leaning towards the Prius, but I'm biased because I'm a hippie.

We already have the Camry, but would be trading it in for the 2002 Prius. Yes I know the 2004 is much better because of all the changes, but it's not gonna happen.

Am I making a colossally huge mistake? And if so why?

This is not really a "what would tribe do" thread...more of a why do people hate the Prius thread.

I think it's going to be a good buy. Resale will probably be crap value, but I figure if I keep the car for the life of it's warrantly (8 years), then it should be some kind of good value.

Did I mention that I waste gas like crazy. Meh, any thoughts?

At least I won't get any speeding tickets with the Prius :)

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr

I think it's going to be a good buy. Resale will probably be crap value, but I figure if I keep the car for the life of it's warrantly (8 years), then it should be some kind of good value.
I highly doubt that the 8 year warranty is a bumper-to-bumper warranty. Most likely it is a 3 year bumper-to-bumpter warranty (at most), and another 5 years for the powertrain.

So since it is a 2002 model, then 2 of those 3 years for the bumper-to-bumper warranty has already been used up.

Unless you are driving a huge amount (30,000+ kms / year), then the savings on gas will probably not make it worth your while.

Cheers ... Ian :)

starr

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: 2003 Camry vs. 2002 Prius

Originally posted by Soundstream
I highly doubt that the 8 year warranty is a bumper-to-bumper warranty. Most likely it is a 3 year bumper-to-bumpter warranty (at most), and another 5 years for the powertrain.

So since it is a 2002 model, then 2 of those 3 years for the bumper-to-bumper warranty has already been used up.

Unless you are driving a huge amount (30,000+ kms / year), then the savings on gas will probably not make it worth your while.

well i'm not sure of the deal exactly, but if we took it we'd be getting it from the dealership

i don't know if someone didn't want it or if it was a demo model or what, but i'll know more by the end of this week

so it's 1 year anyway if we get it from the dealership?

yeah i won't be driving it that much, but won't it be cheaper to fill up than the camry anyway

starr

TRIBE Member
but i'm a dirty hippie and don't want to pollute :(

i need more than "stick with the camry"

the camry is like a boat, such a bitch to park...i HATE it

my mom's 1992 camry is better than the new one....stupid cars

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

defazman

TRIBE Member
So you'd like to use less gass and you think the camry is too big.
Solution- get the Echo hatchback.

vinder

TRIBE Member
but i'm a dirty hippie and don't want to pollute :(

i need more than "stick with the camry"

the camry is like a boat, such a bitch to park...i HATE it

my mom's 1992 camry is better than the new one....stupid cars
the prius is big too. stick with the camry :p

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Here is a perfect piece of info for your situation, straight from Toyota's website. Draw your own conclusions, but I still would never trade in a newer Camry just so that I can get a used Prius.

starr

TRIBE Member
hehe....the echo too small

i feel like goldilocks

why does everyone dislike the prius, no really

is it that the technology is still in its infancy and not at a point where you'd consider jumping in?

for me i would just use my car to go from A to B, and probably only around the city (hence the wanting it to be small)

i would probably go to scarborough and whitby every now and then

maybe montreal a few times a year - maybe

other than that i'm not a huge *roadtrip* person....definitely prefer taking the train

meh, i dunno....if the dealer prius comes fully loaded i'll probably get it just for the novelty toy value

edit: the camry was used from the dealer too, we traded up from a 1992 model or something - my dad knows that i've wanted the prius so he suggested we trade now that it's available if i still wanted it

also would you feel differently if it was the 2004, or the honda civic hybrid?

where's the enviro love :)

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

starr

TRIBE Member
Here is a perfect piece of info for your situation, straight from Toyota's website. Draw your own conclusions, but I still would never trade in a newer Camry just so that I can get a used Prius.

and ian, $500 is almost a pair of Manolo Blaniks, on sale :)

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
and ian, $500 is almost a pair of Manolo Blaniks, on sale :)
But you have to drive a Prius in order to get that $500! That is why the decision is so obvious.

Have you actually driven the Prius yet?

starr

TRIBE Member
no i haven't taken it for a test drive yet.
ian i think you are trying to dash my hippie dreams to the rocks!!!

why, why do you do this?

no but really, i'm just a girl that's wants a car.

again:
why does everyone dislike the prius
is it that the technology is still in its infancy and not at a point where you'd consider jumping in? or too pricey for what it does?

hypothetically, let's say that all i have to worry about is the after purchasing care costs

won't insurance be cheaper with me for the prius?
and isn't the government considering some tax rebate scheme?
and won't the gas savings just be a plus, if i didn't spend for the price of the car (hypothetically)?

i suppose the question is what benefit is the camry, other than the fact that it's just a regular car.

i tried to find some reading that was balanced but failed greatly. not so good at navigating the car websites, any good websites i should check out for reviews or whatever?

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
I won't answer all those questions directly, but basically, in order to sell you the Prius at it's price point ($25,000, I think), they have to cut back on everything since the hybrid engine costs so much compared to a regular gasoline engine.

So instead of getting the comfort/quality of a Camry for $25,000, you get a bargain basement Tercel-like vehicle with a new, unproven engine technology.

I haven't driven one myself, but I can guarantee that it is embarassingly slow, and most likely the interior will feel much cheaper than the Camry's.

I just checked ... the 0-60 time for the 2002 Prius is 12.7 seconds. For comparison, the same statistic for the Camry is around 8 seconds. That in my opinion is why I think you will be sorely disappointed when driving this vehicle.

zoo

TRIBE Member
the socially responsible thing to do would be get the prius :)

the camry is good for families and boring 20-40 yr old males that mistakingly think 0-60 in 8 seconds is fast ...

for my dad, i'd recommend a camry

for my girlfriend, i'd recommend a civic :p
[she drives a sunfire]

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
the camry is good for families and boring 20-40 yr old males that mistakingly think 0-60 in 8 seconds is fast ...
8 seconds is average in my opinion. Something that most people will find has enough power to just drive around, but obviously not a level where you can blow away cars at the stoplights. ;)

But 12.7 seconds for the Prius really is excrutiatingly slow. If I am correct, you will officially have the slowest car that you can currently buy on the market today. Of course you are going to save on gas, but that is because the car won't let you drive fast enough to use it up quickly. ;)

zoo

TRIBE Member
i can't imagine needing a particularly powerful car for city driving :)

but yeah, 12 seconds is pretty slow ... if you care about power and stuff :p

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
man... 12.7s! i think my nephew's bigwheels gets more get go than that...

is there any possible way you could get the 2004 prius?

"Toyota's new hybrid system, named Hybrid Synergy Drive, is more sophisticated, more powerful and more fuel efficient than the previous generation Toyota Hybrid System."

plus, i think you get a $1000 credit from the government for buying one of these babies...

2002: 61/63 mpg 70/44 hp 0-60 in 13s
2004: 72/60 mpg 76/67 hp 0-60 in 10s

there's a whole slew of other improvements between the 1st and 2nd generation cars. simply put: the 2004 is waaay better! if it seriously comes down to choosing between a 2004 camry and a 2002 prius, you gotta go with the camry simply for the fact that the resale on the 2002 ain't gonna be too hot. not many people want an old tech vehicle unless its an antique (keep it for 20 years+ in mint condition and it just might appreciate).

note: the Prius includes an 8 year/160,000 km warranty on 'hybrid-related components', which includes the electric motor, generator, power split device, electronic controller, and battery.

i disagree with soundstream's "tercel-like" quality statement. toyota realises that the prius is priced in the "near-luxury" range (about $30k) and builds it accordingly. i bet that they probably don't make as much money on them as they do on a regular camry...

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Liquidity
i disagree with soundstream's "tercel-like" quality statement. toyota realises that the prius is priced in the "near-luxury" range (about $30k) and builds it accordingly. i bet that they probably don't make as much money on them as they do on a regular camry...
I haven't driven a Prius, but have been inside one. Trust me, the Camry is much better.

chickpea

TRIBE Member
Hey Michelle,

I'm also really interested in hybrid technology, and totally support your interest in getting the Prius in theory - however I think the next wave of hybrid vehicles are a much better purchase. The 2004 Prius is a big improvement, and Toyota is also releasing a hybrid SUV before the end of the year. The Smart Car is also going to be released in Canada and of course there's also the hybrid civic. If you really want a hybrid vehicle I think you can still shop around to make sure you're getting the best car for you in that field, not just a hybrid to have a hybrid. My 2 cents:)

Heather

starr

TRIBE Member
yeah i've read all about the 2004 and i love to have it instead

but we sort of are dealing with only the one dealership because we have a good track record with them

and heather from what i've read the civic does not really compare to the prius. i definitely do NOT want an SUV :) apparently they are working on a lexus hybrid, but can't afford that right now!

i so do not want to keep the camry!!!

sigh. maybe i will look into getting an echo if the prius doesn't work out....at least i could try to get one with all the options

i hate cars.

edit: yeah liquidity i hear what you are saying about the resale, i'm sure it would be close to $0

ian, i'll still test drive the prius later this week and let everyone know how awesome/crappy it is :) gone in 12.7 seconds?

Last edited:

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
I haven't driven a Prius, but have been inside one. Trust me, the Camry is much better.

but its got that cool touch sensitive display thingy!