• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

$20 million insanity!

JLV

TRIBE Member

An already ritzy area of the city is about to get a $20 million dose of glamour.

Bloor Street’s dream of becoming the Rodeo Drive of the Great White North is about to come true.

The city has invested in a multi-million dollar renovation project to spruce up sidewalks, plant more trees and flowers, commission public art and install better lighting along the chi-chi retail strip.

The transformation of the so-called “fashion mile” –- between Church Street and Avenue Road -- is set to begin next spring and will take two years to complete.

According to the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Association, the end result will be a pedestrian-friendly urban oasis and vibrant commercial street.

The group says the upscale area contributes about $1 billion in retail sales to the city and has the potential to become the economic engine of Toronto.

While business owners in the neighbourhood are applauding the project, some Torontonians believe the cash-strapped city should’ve allocated those funds to other areas.

“I think it's unnecessary and the money could be put somewhere else,” Marianne Schelew said. “This place is already pretty nice, like all the nice stores are already here. It doesn't need to be vamped up anymore.”

Roger Chong agreed and said he thought a $20 million investment into an area that’s not hurting economically was excessive.

“That's pretty extravagant,” he said. “I thought it was pretty good the way it is.”

any thoughts on this?

I guess I'm just have trouble understanding why the city can put a cool $20 mill into 'fixing up' an already gorgeous part of Toronto when (the city) won't even pay for the protective shields in the cabs that are so desperatly needed.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I bet lots of people who shop in this area walk there! All those trees and pedestrians are gonna mess up my ferrari when I park it in front of Prada :(

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

JLV

TRIBE Member
bombthreat23 said:
I LOVE IT... I think that area is going to be amazing.
really? don't you think it's already nice enough?

I just can rationalize the city spending so much money, when there are so many other (more important) things that need that cash!

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
it's good for tourism, and will produce revenue at the expense of the needs of the poor, so it's beneficial.

but this Roger Chong thing has me all fucked up

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
any thoughts on this?

I guess I'm just have trouble understanding why the city can put a cool $20 mill into 'fixing up' an already gorgeous part of Toronto when (the city) won't even pay for the protective shields in the cabs that are so desperatly needed.
This is actually a loan transaction to the business owners in the area. The owners have to pay the city back the $20mm plus interest over 20 years.

Either way I think it is a great idea. Anything that draws in more tourist dollars and makes our already gorgeous city prettier is fine in my books.

JLV

TRIBE Member
dicksherwood said:
where is there any fashion on Bloor east of Yonge?

The Manulife building? Harvey's? The Bay?
actually, they are only doing the reno between Avenue and Church Street.

Still though.

JLV

TRIBE Member
mr tall said:
Church is east of yonge, and not still. It's a loan, and beautifies the city.
no I know, one block. and I'm not against beautifying the city, beleive me, I just think that there are other areas that need it more then Bloor does.

I also did not realize it was on loan to the businesses.

Boo

TRIBE Member
JLV said:

A little off topic, but why would the 'city' pay for sheilds for cab drivers? Cab drivers are not public servants, and their revenues are not remitted to the city. I agree they should feel safe, but I think it should be up to the cab owners or company's to pay for it

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
Kazoo said:
already gorgeous city prettier
Don't get me wrong, I grew up in this city and am as much a Toronto booster as anyone else but Vancouver is a gorgeous city, San Fran is a gorgeous city, Paris is a gorgeous city...Toronto...not so much.

There are definitely really nice areas, the various parks like High Park, Sherwood Park, Taylor Creek, the Island and Sunnybrook park are wonderful, the number of very green neighbourhoods with big leafy trees lend a type of beauty, the drive down Mt. Pleasant and the DVP is nice and there are pockets of impressive architecture but there is nothing really gorgeous about Toronto.

If someone was describing Toronto to a potential suitor we would be "cute and have a wonderful personality"

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
Boo said:
A little off topic, but why would the 'city' pay for sheilds for cab drivers? Cab drivers are not public servants, and their revenues are not remitted to the city. I agree they should feel safe, but I think it should be up to the cab owners or company's to pay for it
yeah the city should legislate mandatory shields, expense to be borne by operators. The problem is in making sure that the cab drivers themselves don't end up having to pay for it in some form or other. The cab companies should be responsible for providing a safe work environment for their drivers, to the extent possible.

JLV

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
the city licences them, and the city (the police and EMS departments more specifically) have to deal with the consequences of the attacks being made on the drivers.

I don't think the city should have to pay for them, I think they could. The cab company doesn't want to and a lot of the cab drivers can't.

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
dicksherwood said:
Don't get me wrong, I grew up in this city and am as much a Toronto booster as anyone else but Vancouver is a gorgeous city, San Fran is a gorgeous city, Paris is a gorgeous city...Toronto...not so much.

There are definitely really nice areas, the various parks like High Park, Sherwood Park, Taylor Creek, the Island and Sunnybrook park are wonderful, the number of very green neighbourhoods with big leafy trees lend a type of beauty, the drive down Mt. Pleasant and the DVP is nice and there are pockets of impressive architecture but there is nothing really gorgeous about Toronto.

If someone was describing Toronto to a potential suitor we would be "cute and have a wonderful personality"
I think when you live in city it is easy to underappreciate it's qualities. Without a doubt the cities you list above are gorgeous, but I have had many non-Torontonians say our city is gorgeous. I think cute may be an understatement for us IMO.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
dicksherwood said:
Vancouver is a gorgeous city,
IS NOT a gorgeous city...in fact it is right up there with the ugliest cities I have ever seen, the SURROUNDINGS are gorgeous but the city iself...UGH. Looks like a shanty town.

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
bombthreat23 said:
IS NOT a gorgeous city...in fact it is right up there with the ugliest cities I have ever seen, the SURROUNDINGS are gorgeous but the city iself...UGH. Looks like a shanty town.
I figure that when you walk out your door and are stunned (in a good way) by what you see, you are in a gorgeous place.

Vancouver does that for me, Toronto...not really.

But Kazoo may be right when saying you underappreciate and perhaps take for granted the place where you live.

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
bombthreat23 said:
Well at least we are working on it. There is a lot of new architecture going up (Ballet school, addition to the ROM, Opera House etc.) that will improve this 'shanty' of ours. I think we are going in the right direction.