• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

2 timo maas ?'s

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Is the Kelis - Milkshake the same Kelis from Help Me - Timo Maas featuring kelis?

Also is Unite going to be released and when? Really loving that tune right now! I usually tend to like timo maas's stuff on the first couple listens but get bored quickly. It remains to be seen if unite will have any staying power.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: 2 timo maas ?'s

yea that's what I keep on reading everywhere!

milkshake this milkshake that!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Kelis

Kelis has been big in the UK pop market for a while now, I'd say at least four years. She's done lots of collaborations with electronic artists, she pops up on vocals all the time. Lot more acceptance in that market of moving back and forth between R&B and house.

The big US hip-hop guys started to clue in to her last year it seems. I think Puffy did some stuff with her, actually I think Kelis does background vocals on his "Let's Get Ill". So yeah she's finally breaking out in North America which I think is great. I hate "Milkshake" but if sombody who likes it pops onto Kazaa and downloads other Kelis stuff they might stumble upon house music.

Unite came out a long time ago. Perfecto ran one-sided pseudo white labels of it, I think because it was leaked and Oakenfold wanted to quickly get it out (I'm guessing at the reason though). But I wouldn't be surprised if a proper release shows up soon with mixes. I've heard a few DJs playing it again ... which leads me to believe they've been given new promos and they're clueless to the fact it's old.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i hear kelis is married to NAS and simply "broke out" commercially in the UK years before here

for some reason she never got backed in america until recently

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Actually, Kelis has been kicking around on the US market for a while... Although she's had greater success on the UK/European market (as have a lot more of the esoteric R&B artists), she did the backup vox for Old Dirty Bastard's (or whatever the hell he's called now) 'Get Money' tune that was quite a massive hit a few years back. She's also in the video too.

And yeah, that's her doing the back-up vox on 'Lets Get Ill'. I wish they'd have just kept her bits in and removed Puffy altogether from that tune.

Cheers,
JK

Last edited:

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Kelis

Originally posted by coleridge
Unite came out a long time ago. Perfecto ran one-sided pseudo white labels of it, I think because it was leaked and Oakenfold wanted to quickly get it out (I'm guessing at the reason though). But I wouldn't be surprised if a proper release shows up soon with mixes. I've heard a few DJs playing it again ... which leads me to believe they've been given new promos and they're clueless to the fact it's old.

My understanding is that Perfecto is likely not going to be releasing any more vinyl singles. Simon Jones from Prog-sounds was saying something about this on the GU board. He's not always right, but 90% of the time he is. ;)

Cheers,
JK

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by zoo
i hear kelis is married to NAS and simply "broke out" commercially in the UK years before here

for some reason she never got backed in america until recently

the song goes something like this:

"fvck what you heard is a bout what you see... "

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Apparently when she did Help Me she was really sick so she did a shot of Hot Sauce (that's friggin nasty) and went right into the studio. All in all that Tabasco must have worked cause I think it only took the whole of like 2 hours max to record her!