• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

1995-1997 : trance, dr. trance, etc.

deep

TRIBE Member
so around this time I used to listen to a lot of trance. basically tuned into the dr. trance show on nrg 108 and whereever else it ended up at and made recordings each week, then played those tapes to death.

the tapes have since disappeared or been destroyed...would like to rediscover stuff I listened to then.

so I was wondering if people can think back that far, and if they could ring off some noteworthy tunes from this era...

I've got bits and pieces in my mind that I'm trying to piece back together ... snippets of tracks that stand out in my mind that I'd love to get id'd properly

one track in particular that for years that I've been wanting to figure out what it is ... can't even begin to explain what I remember from it , just how much I liked it.

so I figure it'd probably just be more productive to see if anyone actually remembers anything from this era and see if it might churn up some good discussion on the subject

right now I'm listening to sasha at the zen afterparty 1996 and it's kinda taking me back...

Last edited:

deep

TRIBE Member
off the top of my head, I'm remembering jon the dentist (or the dentist from del bosca or whatever his moniker was then) got a lot of airplay...

platipus records most obviously

I remember a tune called "circles" specifically by an "Adam" ... Adam F has obviously his circles but it's not the same...remember it being real low key trance

the tune I was talking about earlier, that has stuck in my mind for years, that I've never heard anywhere else, had a woman in the middle of it saying "don't you know I'll always come back...don't you know that" or something along those lines...I'd love to find out what it is

anyways. rambling

deep

TRIBE Member
I also remember hearing chicane's 'soothe' for the first time on this show...

alcid

TRIBE Member
Platipus Records:
Union Jack - Red Herring
Union Jack - Two Full Moons and a Trout
Art of Trance - Octopus
Poltergeist - Vicious Circles
Robert Miles - Children (it was first released on Platipus)

Jon the Dentist:
Pyramid
Global Phases
He had a whole bunch of others that were good that I don't know the name of. maybe someone else could help me out here?

Commander Tom - Are am Eye
That's really the only song of his that was really any good IMO and I heard he ripped it off from someone anyways.

Others to check out:
Legend B - Lost in Love
Misjah and Tim - Access
Luxor - Superstitious

There's this other track that was out on Bonzai records (I'm pretty sure) that I never found the name of. It had a vocal sample that said "This is a journey into sound" and this wicked piano line. DJ Brano used to play it all the time. Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?

I think I've got some old tapes around somewhere that I recorded from the Dr. Trance show as well. I'll have to see if I can dig them up... In the meantime, check out this thread for an old OS/2 mix from '95. You're sure to find some gems in there as well...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
thanks alcid - platipus records ultimate dream collection was the first electronic music CD I bought (still have it in my collection)...misjah and tim's access basically defines the acid trance genre for me

keep the reccomendations coming :)

incidentally I just checked out your website and do remember "the alliance" often from that era :)

Last edited:

Variant

TRIBE Member
Alcid..

that journey into sound track is called Journey of Love by Hitch Hiker and Dumonde. Gary D's version might have gotten more airplay.

Others:

Mandala - Evolution
Gary D - Kinetic Pressure, Overload
Absolom - Secret
Kay Cee - Escape
Nostrum - Brilliant
Dentist - Immortal Soul
Illuminatus - Hope (sasha mix)
Transwave - Cycles of Life
Jones and Stephenson - First Rebirth
PH1 - Sizzling Love
Urban Trance Plant - Ready to flow

and you can't leave out the Alliance: Daytripper, Devotion, Twilight.

alcid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Variant
Alcid..

that journey into sound track is called Journey of Love by Hitch Hiker and Dumonde. Gary D's version might have gotten more airplay.
nice - i'll check it out, thanks!

couple more to add:
Elevator - Shinny [Harmony Mix]
Nostrum - Blow back
Dream Plant - The Mighty Machine (I remember being woken up by this at several 3-days on Sunday morning)

deep

TRIBE Member
legend b - lost in love & li kwan - point zero totally brought back some memories...

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by deep
a woman in the middle of it saying "don't you know I'll always come back...don't you know that

could be
Dj Misjah & Groovehead "Special Acid Edition" X-Trax 005

has vocals almost exactly what you mention

Malice

TRIBE Member
Here's some from 96-97.
L.S.G. - Vinyl Cut
L.S.G. - Fragile Part 2 (Mix Txo)
Sunday Club- Healing Dream
Sunday Club - Eterna's Fligh

1993-1994.
Jam and Spoon - Odyssey to Anyoona
Blue Alphabet - Cybertrance

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Variant

TRIBE Member
Hell.. all early jam and spoon tracks became classics. Age of Love, Find me, Right in the Night, Follow me, Angel. Of course i'm not talking about the vocal versions of any of these...

... those were the days.

zoo

TRIBE Member
deep i have 5 or 6 cds of just pre-2000 trance mp3s ...

if you're interested i can get you tracklists or copies or put em online or whatever :0)

alcid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
or their remix of blue monday
the hardfloor remix of blue monday was the best. loads of 303 madness! hit me up on soulseek if you want it (username fatty_mcgee)

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
deep i have 5 or 6 cds of just pre-2000 trance mp3s ...

if you're interested i can get you tracklists or copies or put em online or whatever :0)
thanks dude...throw me a tracklist and let me see what you got.

Originally posted by alcid
the hardfloor remix of blue monday was the best. loads of 303 madness! hit me up on soulseek if you want it (username fatty_mcgee)
for my money of the older remixes of blue monday I still like the jam and spoon one the best...but then again blue monday is one of those tracks where anytime a remix comes out of it I'll still listen to it no matter how many times it's been done before :)

have you heard piece process' new tune "solar myth" ? coming out soon, hook in it is right from blue monday

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Variant
Angel. Of course i'm not talking about the vocal versions of any of these...

... those were the days.

Funny, I liked the vocals on Angel!

I remember having my first car stereo, and just punding that song all the time, the high's were so crisp, it made my car sound like a concert.

Variant

TRIBE Member
heh.. only time i enjoyed that version was on my way to Pleasure Force - Voyager. Proof positive that nothing could ruin that night. (only rave i've been to where they were actually selling shoes).