• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

-=| 1984 |=-

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
this thread is for all things 1984. post pix, stories, quotes, events, song lyrics, how old you were, what grade you were in, your favourite movies, the name of your pet, your best friend, anything as long as it happened in 1984.

the top 16 songs from the american 100 of 1984

16. the reflex - duran duran
15. let's hear it for the boy - denise williams
14. missing you - john waite
13. wake me up - wham
12. out of touch - hall&oates
11. ghostbusters - ray parker jr.
10. i just called to say i love you - stevie wonder
9. owner of a lonely heart - yes
8. hello - lionel richie
7. karma chameleon - boy george
6. footloose - kenny loggins
5. against all odds - phil collins
4. what's love got to do with it? - tina turner
3. jump - van halen
2. when doves cry - prince
1. say say say - paul mccartney and michael jackson

top grossing films of 1984

1. Ghost Busters (1984)
2. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
4. Gremlins (1984)
5. The Karate Kid (1984)
6. Police Academy (1984)
7. Footloose (1984)
8. Romancing the Stone (1984)
9. Purple Rain (1984)
10. Splash (1984)

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - george orwell

~*...totally radical...*~

acheron

TRIBE Member
Saw Duran Duran at Maple Leaf Gardens (first show) in March of 1984... It was an awesome concert (footage from it was used for the "Reflex" video) but I was deaf for a day or so afterwards... not from the music - it was from all the teenage girls screaming.

Oh, and I was 13.

deevah

TRIBE Member
i was 7, entering grade 2, freshly immigrated from HK

i discovered recess, lunchboxes, riding a bike, having my own room and being teased for my "funny" writing cuz i could cursive already. Mr Blane was my teacher and he use to pull out his guitar and we'd sing. He was part of a duo and recorded a couple albums of children's songs.

down by the bay.....

JLV

TRIBE Member
I was 2.

My favorite show was probably Sharon, Lois and Bram.

I had a dog named Rags.

Favorite song lyrics in 1984:

The Itsy Bitsy Spider - (artist unknown)

The itsy bitsy (or eensy weensy) spider
Climbed up the waterspout
Down came the rain
And washed the spider out
Out came the sun
And dried up all the rain
And the itsy bitsy spider
Climbed up the spout again

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I was a huge fan of Boy George in 1984. Posters, books, caps, records, jean jacket patches.

I understood that Boy George was really George O'Dowd and was in fact, a boy. However, I appreciated that when George performed he was also able to appear as a beautiful woman with a golden voice.

Perhaps it was Karma Chameleon that first awakened me sexually at my 12th birthday party, when we were all down in the basement with the lights off playing "hide and go feel". Of course there was nothing really to feel as nobody was very sexually mature, but curiosity and the early stages of puberty was enough to get all the kids hopping with Colour By Numbers playing on repeat in the background. Hence, some of my first sexual experiences were played against the back drop of Boy George and his homosexual overtones, perhaps lending to the confused state of my sexuality today.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I turned two, my little bro was born.
I enjoyed Ernie and played with my hands. I would like to run around the house naked in nothing but my mothers cowboy boots carrying a large blown up pink bunny.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
I was a huge fan of Boy George in 1984. Posters, books, caps, records, jean jacket patches.

I understood that Boy George was really George O'Dowd and was in fact, a boy. However, I appreciated that when George performed he was also able to appear as a beautiful woman with a golden voice.

Perhaps it was Karma Chameleon that first awakened me sexually at my 12th birthday party, when we were all down in the basement with the lights off playing "hide and go feel". Of course there was nothing really to feel as nobody was very sexually mature, but curiosity and the early stages of puberty was enough to get all the kids hopping with Colour By Numbers playing on repeat in the background. Hence, some of my first sexual experiences were played against the back drop of Boy George and his homosexual overtones, perhaps lending to the confused state of my sexuality today.
i blame him for my obsession w/ drag queens

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
The hallway smelt of boiled cabbage and old rag mats. At one end of it a coloured poster, too large for indoor display, had been tacked to the wall. It depicted simply an enormous face, more than a metre wide: the face of a man of about forty-five, with a heavy black moustache and ruggedly handsome features. Winston made for the stairs. It was no use trying the lift. Even at the best of times it was seldom working, and at present the electric current was cut off during daylight hours. It was part of the economy drive in preparation for Hate Week. The flat was seven flights up, and Winston, who was thirty-nine and had a varicose ulcer above his right ankle, went slowly, resting several times on the way. On each landing, opposite the lift-shaft, the poster with the enormous face gazed from the wall. It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption beneath it ran.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
that 420 guy said:
this thread is for all things 1984. post pix, stories, quotes, events, song lyrics, how old you were, what grade you were in, your favourite movies, the name of your pet, your best friend, anything as long as it happened in 1984.

the top 16 songs from the american 100 of 1984

11. ghostbusters - ray parker jr.

top grossing films of 1984

1. Ghost Busters (1984)
YAY!!! :D :D

I was 8 and in grade 3.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
encompassed grades 8 & 9 for me

went on a spring break trip with the family, my first and only times at Busch Gardens and Disneyworld (Epcot Centre was the "new" thing, that's how long ago it was.

also saw some free beach concerts in Daytona - Big Country one day, R.E.M. the next.

Saw R.E.M. again that summer at the Concert Hall here in town.

BlueEyedMonster

TRIBE Member
Why do i not remember anything significant about that year
although i remember all of those songs and could probably sing along to 80% of them
that must mean i am old
in 1984 i was 11-12

OH wait i was allowed to wear lip gloss and had never been kissed

that's it

ducke

TRIBE Member
that 420 guy said:

9. owner of a lonely heart - yes ------- ~ > That video still freaks me out - Too many critters :eek: :eek:

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
I travelled to the Phillippines for the first time in 1984.
That was a big trip for me at the time. Seeing and meeting my relatives for the first time and travelling for 18 hours in a plane.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
this was the year the soviet bloc pulled out of the olympics in Los Angeles in retaliation for
the west's boycott of the Moscow 1980 games after they invaded Afghanistan.

the U.S. won tonnes of medals and Krusty Burger took a bath with it's scratch and win contest. he vowed to personally spit in every fiftieth burger!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders